Riding the Southern Wasatch Front - UTAH County
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So a question was asked earlier in the forum about where to ride in northern utah. I answered, and realized that we have some awesome riding areas that lots of people dont know about. So I need a place to show off my new footage from my brand new Contour+2 camera anyway so I will put all my footage under this thread. I am by no means an authority on the trails of northern utah but I think i could be a resource. Feel free to add your thoughts, your own ride reports, questions, or responses.

I am a pretty inexperienced rider in comparison to most people out there. I am trying to get rid of bad habits so please excuse my poor form. I also gladly accept tips on how to be a better rider. As you can see in this one i need to learn better momentum and clutch strategies. :-) This video is from Memorial Day morning. A 3 hour total trip from my house. Riding the awesome trails up American Fork Canyon. This is only a section of the Ridge Trail or trail 157. Thank heavens for rock plates, I think I need to upgrade mine.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xib03fL75o8[/media]
    TEAMTORTOISE -

START SLOW, then taper off..

Man you Utah guys have some great places to ride! Thanks for taking us along.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    Man you Utah guys have some great places to ride! Thanks for taking us along.

Yeah, seriously! Thanks for the ride.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Those trails look pretty tight to me (I am used to riding fire roads). You definitely need a good skidplate for some of those rocks. Pretty country, thanks!

Neo
    I decided to avoid American Fork Canyon as I figured it would still be too wet, but it looks pretty good. I plan to be up there frequently this summer.

You are correct, there are plenty and awesome places to ride in Utah County. I am excited to make this a catalog of places to ride in this area, I will add some of my rides and come back looking for ideas of where to go next.

I decided to explore the Squaw Peak to Hobble Creek Canyon area, I was mainly just getting familiar with the riding options in this area so I doubled back quite a bit once I got a feel for where the trail started and what direction it went (and made a note on the GPS for future riding). From driveway to driveway my GPS said I rode 143.8 miles, about half or so was on dirt. I had to switch to reserve fuel as I was descending back into civilization and then when I got to a good stopping point I filled up with my Kolpin I have mounted to my rack. I felt like it was an accomplishment to ride far enough to need more fuel in order to make it back to civilization.

GPS track of my day. The trail continues at each place I turned around, I was just making sure I had found the trail I was looking for in order to know that I could come back and ride it later.

Flickr link

Some GPS statistics. I climbed 9,891 feet throughout the day, and descended the same amount since I returned the way I went.

Flickr link

On the Squaw Peak - Rock Canyon trail

Flickr link

One lone snowfield on a shady side of the mountain. I dug out and then ran at it faster and blasted through.

Flickr link

Above Right Fork Hobble Creek Canyon, trail to Diamond Fork

Flickr link

Very nice video, TT! I liked the captions, and the beautiful mountain country. Nice pics, too Neo. Thanks for sharing guys. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

That is a beautiful place to ride, but you can keep the snow!
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamTortoise View Post
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xib03fL75o8[/media]

Awesome single track trail. Great views. Enjoyed the video, hope more comes our way!

One thing I was resistant about, was using a 55T rear sprocket for trail riding. Didn't think I needed it. Then I remembered the dual sprocket thread and added the 55t to the existing 50T, for the dual sprocket setup. I'm so glad I did. It makes it much more enjoyable when riding the trails like you're riding and even some of the steeper two track roads. I use to kill my TW in steep sections just like you. . . still do. Doh!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That was a nice ride. Seeing deer was a plus with the nice scenery. Being an old fart though, I would have been going slower taking in the beauty of the area instead of having my eyes glued to the trail all the time. Just me, thanks for taking me along.

Great ride. I got to get out of Ca.

Ronnydog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links