Ride report, short camping trip Muscatine-Galena-Prarie Du Chein- Elkader-and back Home
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Had a good ride this weekend, About 400 miles. Camped at pikes peak state park in on the Mississippi in Iowa just across from Prairie Du Chien, WI. Tried to get in some Trout fishing in NE Iowa on Sunday but the rain/floods turned it into more of a sightseeing trip.
    2008 TDUB

2008 TDUB

Stopped in Bettendorf to pick up my new riding jacket. Really like it. It is a Castle Quest Part # 16-1364 Silver and Black Medium. It made the ride much more comfortable in the mild 60 degree days. Left the liner in and had a sweatshirt on underneath.
    2008 TDUB

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i

Galena, IL. Had a Bloody Mary and a Great Shrimp/chicken/sausage gumbo at Durty Gurts.
    2008 TDUB

Camp at pikes Peak State Park in Iowa just across from Prairie Du Chien, WI. Hot shower was worth the $11 camp site fee.
    2008 TDUB

Pics aren't that great with my little camera but this view is very good at Pikes Peak. Info I read says its the most photographed State Park in Iowa. Guessing you can see for 20 or more miles on a good day. Pretty cloudy this weekend. Ironically I just a sprinkle within minutes of picking up my new riding jacket and nothing else all weekend.
    2008 TDUB

Up river shot. The muddy Mississippi is at or above flood stage in most areas in Iowa.
    2008 TDUB

This is Backbone State Park. Was hoping to trout fish here but the recent flooding put a stop to this. The roads were closed, although im sure the sand/mud would have been no problem for the TDUB. Had some good riding, Mostly pavement with some fun gravel and one fun Minimum maintenance road that looked like a deer path. Trees in the way stopped me from exploring the end of the road. Did this ride after I set up camp on Saturday and didn't have my camera but there were some pretty good mud holes and hills. The 15 tooth front handled the terrain well for me.
    2008 TDUB

Ended the ride with just over 7500 on the odometer. In Elkader I had a new battery this spring go bad on me. Push start for the last fill up and lunch but made it home fine. Guess its time for another oil change and I think im due to check my valve lash for the first time. Motor sounds at least as good as the day I bought it. With the 15/50 gearing I ran 60-65 for much of the way on pavement and had no troubles. The steep hills I did have to downshift in spots but if I kept up the revs I could hold my speed pretty well up most hills in Iowa. (Nothing like the Mountains im sure.)
    2008 TDUB

Quote Originally Posted by iowatdub View Post

Camp at pikes Peak State Park in Iowa just across from Prairie Du Chien, WI. Hot shower was worth the $11 camp site fee.

Better check the seat on your bike. Looks like it is on fire in that picture!!

Seriously though, i am jealous. I love the NE corner of Iowa. I've been out there several times but never on the TW. We usually camp in Balltown on the ballfield behind Breitbachs restaurant (after a great meal). They are really great there. Are you familiar with Breitbachs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links