We made it! Zimmer Crk to East Mtn L.O. 2013
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This is short notice, but my son and I are riding from the Zimmer Crk TH to East Mtn Lookout and back. This year I'm adding Packer John Lookout to the route. Did this ride last year and took 2 days, but that was because of some logging in progress, re-routing, and getting lost issues. This year it's a one day ride as I know where I'm going. Click here to see photo's and video's from last year's solo ride I did.

This ride can be done on motorcycle or ATV. Only tricky part is the East Mtn Way Trail. It's an easy ATV trail, but has few tough spots. If you are not comfortable on the trails, I've planned an alternate route to take you to East Mtn. L.O.

When: 8 June 2013

Departing: 0900 from the Zimmer Creek Trail Head

Zimmer Creek TH location is approximately 2.7 mile N on Hwy 55 past the Banks-Lowman Hwy turn off. (44° 6.747'N 116° 6.192'W)

Yee Haw

Preview

Can be some obstacles

Only problem I had on East Mtn Way Trail, spun out going uphill in the poofy dust

View should be better this year without all the forest fire smoke

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Had a great time Saturday on the ride Kris! Have a look of the subject of my "Project 52" for this week

Click to go to my Project 52 Posting

I'll post up a video of this ride in a few days. This is our ride to the B-47 crash site, Packer John lookout, East Mtn lookout and back.

Well, I had a great day of riding with my friend Rick and one of my son's, Kyle. It was not a hard day of riding, but a long day of riding, which made it feel like a hard day of riding! We left around 0945 and got back to the rigs around 2000. Miles wise only between 110-120, but one of the longest over 100 mile days of riding I can remember. Good time!

I've rode most of our days route last year solo, but wanted to show my son some of the sights. He usually rides out in the desert, but wanted to get a taste for some mountain riding. A taste he got!

Our first destination for the day was Packer John Lookout and the old Air Force B-47 crash site. Rick and I visited these sites a couple years ago. On the way we ran into the first of 2 obstacles on the day. We were able to easily ride around to the right.

Made it to the old crash site. A few smaller pieces remain, but nothing much larger than a couple feet long. For additional crash site info

Rick (Truelight) at the crash site

On towards Packer John.

The "Stig" LOL (My son Kyle) at Packer John Lookout

Rick facing the crash site in the distance from Packer John

Oregon Air Force well inside Idaho borders keeping tabs on me!

Parked for lunch half way between Packer John lookout and East Mtn lookout

Distant view north towards Cascade and Cascade Lake, Idaho

Viewing west across the valley is Snowbank mountain with the FAA Radar ball visible on the top right

to be continued
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

continued:

To get a perspective of the distance from us, here is a pano of Snowbank Mtn and Cascade

After lunch and couple more hours of riding, we make it to East Mtn lookout. To get to the lookout, we seperated for a while at the East Mtn Way Trail head.

Kyle rode 9.2 miles on the East Mtn Way trail to the lookout, while Rick and I rode 18 miles of logging roads to the lookout. Kyle arrived

about 5-10 minutes before us

Another tree blocked access by road to the lookout. Kyle found an ATV trail which also led up to the lookout. Here he is walking

back up after guiding us in. (Note to anyone who visits here. Could you bring a flag and replace the tattered one here. I plan to

do it myself, but not sure when I'll get back).

In this photo from last year's ride, you will notice how much of my view was obstructed by the smoke from all the forest fires.This year we had a pretty clear view

This is why I'd like to replace the flag

The "Stig" unmasked

I was here last year and didn't remember seeing this. Wonder where this marked trail from the lookout leads?

Aha, it leads to the "LaPooper". Structurally sound outside, business seating area inside has deteriorated tho!

to be continued

Continued:

FUEL FUEL FUEL

This is something I've not mentioned up to now. I have a larger gas tank and knew I'd have no problem making the trip on 1 tank of gas, but Rick with the stock TW tank was concerned this trip would be at the outer limits of the TW's range, so I brought an extra gallon in case Rick needed it (I had more cargo space available). Kyle has a desert tank on his KTM so no problem there right? Wrong!

Kyle (Stig) ran out first, so he only put in only 1/2 gallon in just in case Rick would need it later. Rick in fact ran did run out of gas, but when he did, it was down hill back to the rigs and he coasted back. Kyle ran out again but coasted down to the rigs as well.

Well, this concludes our ride. By looking at the smiling faces, can you tell who was point man on the ride?

Hint, I might not have any dirt on my face. Giggle

But these two do!!

Had a great ride guys, thanks for coming.

Nice post Kris. I'll look forward to seeing the video clips too. I need to give my TW some TLC now, time for an oil change and if the air filter sucked in as much dust as me, it'll need attention too. I wanna check the rear brakes and when you're ready to assist with a valve adjustment, I could use a skilled adjuster. Thanks again for the invite for this ride - Had fun and came back with all my skin intact. A good day I'd say!

Man what a beautiful place to ride, thanks for letting me have a look.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    Had a great time Saturday on the ride Kris! Have a look of the subject of my "Project 52" for this week

Click to go to my Project 52 Posting
    Hey Truelight,

I started flipping through your Project 52 and all I can say is "Wow". You've got some crazy good photographic skills!

I plan to check back in periodically when I have some more time. Thanks for sharing.

Brian

Wow, that's some beautiful views in those pictures. It's cool that you got your son to go along, even if he was riding orange (just kidding). Good also to see Rick in a ride report again. Nothing wrong with a little dirt on your face as long as there are smiles, too. I think you must not have told us everything about your foray into Oregon if they're still keeping tabs on you. Must've raised quite a ruckus! Must be some pretty strong winds up on that peak to shred the flag like that. Looks like you had a very enjoyable ride with good friends and beautiful and interesting surroundings. Thanks for letting us share the experience.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

That looks like it was a great time and a beautiful part of the country. Next time you guys decide to head out, if you give a little more notice you may get a fellow TW'er from UT tagging along.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links