Looking for advice SPOT
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I will be taking rides mostly by myself. Having ridden on road for over 40 years, I do know my way around a bike, but my off road experience is very limited.

Now the question, I am very familiar with SARSAT/COSPAS system however the costs are very high for a good unit, but no subscription does offset this in just a couple of years. Then there is SPOT. I like the idea of two way messenger capability, but calling for help in a real emergency is my main concern.

Does anyone use SPOT, and is this the way I should go.

My offloading will be in southern AZ where temps over 100 is quite common, I will go prepared but at over 60 years old, walking out with a fracture or worse isn't real likely.

So please school me.

Thanks

John

I do most of my riding around Tucson, not too far from you I guess, and I've felt a lot better about having a SPOT with me as I typically ride solo myself.

Some of the higher end SPOT units have 2-way messenger capabilities, but they will cost you as I'm sure you know. I for one have been truly surprised at the voice and even data reception I've been able to get on my phone many miles from a paved road, so long as I'm on a ridge!

I carry the more basic SPOT Satellite GPS messenger with a couple of add-ons. You know those cool SPOT track maps?

$$$EXTRA!!!$$$

$50 a year extra actually, but it's one of the coolest things about having a SPOT so I think it's worth it. It's nice to be able to go poke around and later look up exactly where you were.

And for an additional $13 a year, the GEOS search and rescue insurance seemed like a good deal to me. I see the $100K airfare medevac choppers landing on the hospital by my work every day.

Even without the additional services, you can call for help and send previously entered messages via email and text while you're way out. I recently opted to hike out of a riding hiccup for several hours without water instead of using the SPOT, but if I'd been farther afield or badly injured it could have saved my butt.

Not a bad last-ditch option to give yourself if you ask me. I'm a satisfied customer.

That's my $0.02
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

I am in Yuma, cell works but starts getting sketchy on the roads along the Colorado river, the area I am planning to travel. If all goes well the TW is gonna get me to some out of the way fishing spots you can't even get to by boat.

Thanks again, John

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I too ride by myself a lot. I've been using a SPOT for a couple of years now. I found the tracking feature NOT worthwhile for me. No one in my family/friends really care where I'm at, at any given moment. They already have an idea which direction I was going, and I'm usually within a 100 miles of home. I do however push my "okay" button on occasion. Each time it tells my wife, I'm okay and I where I'm at that moment. As far the tracking feature, I use my GPS, and it will tell me my track for the day. I do believe if I was traveling to Alaska for example, the tracking feature would be worthwhile. That way people can follow you when they want. I did the tracking feature last year, but for the extra 50 bucks, I won't be doing it this year. However, the insurance feature is something I'm going to look into. Last year I wrecked and broke a bunch of ribs front and back. I laid around on the trail for an hour or so before anyone came along. It was midday, and I thought about pushing the emergency button, but decided to wait because of the cost. They hauled me and bike out and called my wife. With the rescue insurance, I would've been much more likely to push the ER button. And that's my 2 cents.

I don't ride without my spot. I had a pocket put on my riding jacket just for the SPOT. Just in case I come off

the bike. That way it is always with me. I have the full package with spot. My friends and family follow me on my trips.

Best safety device you can buy.

Old Betsy
    1997 TW200 The Happy Bike

2012 ZX14R 190HP +

2009 F800GSThe Best Adventure bike

Just happen to be here checking a few things. I have been using an older Spot unit for years. For the solo rider, this kind of technology can be a real life saver. I as well have invested in the 24 tracking and air rescue insurance. In my mind both additions make for a complete package. With the 24 hour tracking, a tracking signal is sent from the unit automatically every ten minutes. Should you have an accident, be unconscious or simply unable to press the 911 button any rescue attempt at least has a pretty good idea of your travel path and last transmission location. When I rode without tracking, it was not uncommon for me to stray from the route information I left the Wife. Seemed that I pressed the 'OK' button less frequently than I thought I would, and even when pressed, some of my 'OK' transmissions did not make it through. This likely would make any rescue much longer. Hope you all continue on a safe path. Take care. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by old betsy View Post
    I don't ride without my spot. I had a pocket put on my riding jacket just for the SPOT. Just in case I come off

the bike. That way it is always with me. I have the full package with spot. My friends and family follow me on my trips.

Best safety device you can buy.

Old Betsy

Like you I figger it belongs on MOI, not the bike.

How much battery life do you get out of one?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Like you I figger it belongs on MOI, not the bike.

Yeah, what he said. I'm leaning toward getting one myself.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post

Without tracking on, it lasts a very long time. I've returned home, forgot to shut it off and find it two days later still working. With tracking on, its working all time, sending out a signal eating up more battery. It also depends on how often to push the okay button.

Battery life has been over 3 weeks on one trip I did. That was used every day. With pressing OK every night. That was a 6000km trip with it running out of power 200 km from home
    1997 TW200 The Happy Bike

2012 ZX14R 190HP +

2009 F800GSThe Best Adventure bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links