Packable Maps
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packable Maps

don't ya get tired of wrestlin' those forest service maps? the part you want is always in the middle, the wind's always blowin' when you're tryin' to fold it back up, they're just plain BIG.

the answer for me? NO, not a giant key, a small map. i photocopy the immediate vicinity i'll be in, trim it to a size that fits into the back pocket of my msr pak-jak and then use laminating sheets to make it durable. beats chopping up a twelve dollar map. :-)

I would agree that full size maps can be a hassle to use. I realize that you can do multiple pages, but, how long a loop would you likely be able to get out of the small page you showed us? When you say "photo copy", do you take your map to the store and put a quarter in the photocopy machine? or do it with the computer/printer? Thanks, Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

This is also a great idea for people who have scanners & color printers at home. Mine will copy directly without scanning to the computer, or I can bring it into my editing program, then crop the area & put extra text or markers on it before printing.

When I'm going somewhere I like to print out maps & satellite views from Mapquest, Google maps, or my Garmin GPS software.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    I would agree that full size maps can be a hassle to use. I realize that you can do multiple pages, but, how long a loop would you likely be able to get out of the small page you showed us? When you say "photo copy", do you take your map to the store and put a quarter in the photocopy machine? or do it with the computer/printer? Thanks, Gerry

we have a copier/scanner/fax. i just print out a copy. scanning would only be 1 extra step i suppose, but would have the advantage of easy resizing. i killed 5 hours on that map- here, there, looping around, out and back, etc. of course it's a simple matter to have the 'mother map' in your pack just in case- i like a pocket one for quick reference, and the laminating sheets make them surprisingly durable! you can fit quite a lot of country on a 8.5x11 laminating sheet folded in half. the one i showed is a considerably smaller version for an area i'm pretty familiar with just to keep the road numbers straight (hmmm, does 712 intersect 714a or 720g? or was that 713d? wait, this is 714f, oh, there's the sign for 702 laying in the rocks shot full of holes, etc....).

btw, 713d is a hoot :-)

An alternative for those who like to have a large map handy is the Cycoactive BarPack (now sold through Touratech at http://www.cycoactiv...apcase-080-0030 :

"The BarPack is a folding mapcase that is about 6" X 10". It clips to your handlebar with quick-release clips. But the difference is that it unfolds to 4 times the size, showing an inside map window 12"X18". It shows 6 panels of a "National Forest map."

Inside, are some thin pockets for a pen, and notepad and such.

Includes one MK-1 Mounting Kit. If you want to move the BarPack Mapcase between bikes, order extra Mounting Kits - MK-1 or MK-2"

I've had mine for years, and I'll keep a smaller map, sometimes homemade like yours, in the external pocket, and a large, partially folded map in the internal map pocket. The internal pocket is readily accessible when stopped. I keep such things as ear plugs, tire guage, pen, medicines, etc... in the inner pouches. It is a nice alternative to having a bulky tank bag in place.

On my TW:

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Now that's cool...

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post

LOOK OUT!! THERE'S SOMEONE IN A YELLOW SHIRT RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!

y'all got some really good idea's, or should I say, practical applications. Some I use, have used, and some I will use thanks to this imput.

Oh, and Surly357, I love the humor. I saw "the yellow shirt person" too, but your response is funny. I like it!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Surly357 View Post
    LOOK OUT!! THERE'S SOMEONE IN A YELLOW SHIRT RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!

You noticed my shirt, so I guess it is doing its job!

I bought some of the Hi-Vis shirts in the work clothes dept of the local Farm and Fleet store (same yellow-green color as the highway/construction guys wear) so I would be more visible when I was just wearing a T-shirt instead of my riding jacket. I know I should always wear my riding jacket, but a lot of my riding is putting around at 15 mph on little back roads, and it gets pretty hot. I figure I have more risk of someone pulling out in front of me or rear-ending me than I have of road rash from falling. My riding buddies make fun of my bright colored shirts too!

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Local Off-Road club was having a Halloween ride. I decided to dress-up as a Pumkin. Well, almost true. My strategy; figure it would be alot harder to explain pulling out in front of a pumkin and saying "I didn't see it" than it would be a motorcycle.

Purchased the vest from the same online store as my pulsing headlite and strobing brakelite. Come to think of it, the vest is beginning to fade (after 4yrs), so after hitting the post button I am going to lookup the vendor and order another vest. Stay safe. Gerry rideSafer.com

Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links