2013 Fourth of July weekend riding in Idaho
Close

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar

2013 Fourth of July weekend riding in Idaho

I got to spend the holiday weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I was invited to land of crop and tractor to the slower, friendlier life of Grangeville, Idaho. I, of course, took the TW with me. I got to take a ride everyday, and I loved all of it.

Day one: Old Hwy 7, to Greencreek, to Cottonwood, to Keuterville and back.
    Day two: to Elk City and back via Mt Idaho Grade Rd & Hwy 14
    Day three: Stites Rd, Lamb Grade Rd, Lukes Gultch, Hwy 13
    Day four: to White Bird and back via the Old White Bird Hill Rd and Old White Bird Grade Rd (Old 95)

- Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Great pics! that looks like it was a good ride.

lrppcer,

That looks like it was a fun trip. Especially getting to ride every day on roads like that.

I like your pictures - looks beautiful.

Is that a custom seat under the seat pad?

How do you like your 241?

Thanks for sharing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful pics! It sure looks like you had a good time. I assume that last shot is of the White Bird grade. That looks like it would be a blast to ride. Thanks for taking us along.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

What kind of tank bag is that? Great pics!

That is a pretty nice Honda you went riding with. What year and size is it?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Boy, you had a great trip. I've been on all those roads and they are great for a good easy paced relaxing ride. Except you have to be on your toe's on old White Bird Grade. B-dub, you are correct, last picture is of old White Bird Grade. I really really bet you enjoyed your time!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Thanks guys, it was great. My heart belongs in Idaho I think.

OWT, yeah the p.o.'s answer to the seat was to add some more foam and have his buddy add a little black fabric on the bottom of the cover to accommodate the extra. Seat still needs an upgrade though, it still hurts my butt. Otherwise it is a stock 2004 seat. Looks different too because I have 2008 decals and tank. I'll have to share that story one day. Yes, still loving the 241 WAY better than the stocker!

admiral and B-bub, yes...great rides all. That White Bird Grade road is awesome, but there is some gravel on it so we didn't take it too hard. I can only imagine if you could put a sweeper on it and close it!

frehley76, tank bag is a Dowco - Iron Rider luggage. I got it because it is simple, has a map view pouch, and has enough room for day trip items or a lunch. Oh, and it was pretty cheap as bags go. Magnets hold tight. Amazon.com: Dowco Magnetic Mount Tank Bag Black 4.75" x 7.5" x 11.25" 50130-00: Automotive

elime, my buddy Kevin brought his 1971 Honda CL350, the enduro-ish version of the CB350. He is my "bike guy" friend, as in he has a lot of bikes and has been riding for years and now is stoked that I have A bike. That scrambler matches up pretty well for him when riding with me on the TW. He never could get too far ahead of me. Okay, sad part...while in Idaho, he decided to ride it like it wasn't 40 years old up Mt Idaho Grade road. He passed me and I guess he rode it hard. When I got to the top I noticed some blue smoke coming out one pipe. He swore it just needed to cool off and that it was fine. That last day, riding back up the White Bird grade hill, he again took the lead. I started to notice some smoking, so I tried to catch him to tell him to back off. But before I could, poof, a puff of black smoke came from that cylinder and she died. He had to coast back down the hill to White Bird while I rode back to get the trailer.

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 07-16-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

The old Spiral Hwy (old hwy 95) north out of Lewiston is a really fun road to ride too. Similar to the old White Bird grade, but in way better conditions (safer?). There's even a little park half way up where there is a spring which old timers had to add water to their radiator's. Nice place to take a break. Great views of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers on a clear day. Glad you had fun, too bad about your buddies 350. Hate to see a motorcycle carried off the field so to speak!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

frehley76, tank bag is a Dowco - Iron Rider luggage. I got it because it is simple, has a map view pouch, and has enough room for day trip items or a lunch. Oh, and it was pretty cheap as bags go. Magnets hold tight. Amazon.com: Dowco Magnetic Mount Tank Bag Black 4.75" x 7.5" x 11.25" 50130-00: Automotive

Thank you!

Sponosred Links