B-dub does the WRT...and more!
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: B-dub does the WRT...and more!

B-dub does the WRT...and more!

Last year I rode the Hole in the Rock trail with the intent to ride the White Rim Trail, too. Unfortunately I ran out of time before getting to the WRT. On the way home I tried to ride over the Henry and Boulder Mountains, but was foiled by rain. So, this year I plotted my course, and last Monday set out to get it done.

I headed east through the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, just because it's one of my favorite places. The flowers were in bloom, so I rode up to the dunes and got a picture or two.

From there I rode south to Kanab, then to Johnson's Canyon. Kanab is often called "Little Hollywood" because it's quite scenic and a lot of movies and TV shows were shot there, or in surrounding areas. The Gunsmoke set, unfortunately is looking pretty sad nowadays.

It appears from this rock art that Johnson's Canyon used to be part of a major route between Cannonville, Utah and Fredonia, Arizona.

I turned from the Johnson's Canyon road onto the Skutumpah Road, and before long came to the Bull Valley Gorge. The Bull Valley Gorge is a slot canyon.

The road is wide and well gravelled now, but there was a time when the gorge was spanned by a narrow little bridge. I've been over it, and it was a little hair raising. Years ago there were some guys who made the mistake of driving the Skutumpah road after having a few too many drinks. They missed the bridge and ended up in the gorge. Unfortunately, by the time they were found it was too late.

Not like the stream crossings they have in NorCal, but an honest, by golly stream crossing!

I hit the Cottonwood Canyon road about a mile or so south of Cannonville. I decided to run into Cannonville to top up with gas. On the way in I spotted this old sheep wagon in someone's backyard. Judging from the wire wheels it was probably made from a Model A chassis, or something similar. Anyway, I thought it was cool.

This isn't the pump where I got gas!

Last edited by B-dub; 07-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    grizzlygpa, bad luck and Gerry like this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

In planning my trip I found a dirt road between Cannonville and Escalante. I wanted to ride it, even though it meant riding south on the Cottonwood Canyon road for a little ways. The road heads east from the Grosvenor Arch. When I was there last year I just got a quick shot of the arch from the parking lot, and later wished I had walked up a little closer and got another shot. So, I did that this year.

As I headed east on the road I was going to follow to Escalante i ran into this:

Hmmm. I wondered just how impassable it was, but didn't want to make the 24 mile trip to find out. I got a late start, and by now the sun was getting low. So, I started looking for a campsite. I rode up the road aways to the top of a ridge where there was a turnout. Looking from the turnout there was a small trail leading down to what looked like the perfect campsite. Nice view, anyway. So I rode the TW down the trail and set up camp.

End of Day 1. More to come.
    Last edited by B-dub; 07-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    grizzlygpa and bad luck like this.

Great pictures! looking forward to the rest of the ride.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for that. Quite possibly my favorite part of the planet and every time you file a ride report I'm reminded just how little of it I've explored.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice..... It's so different than what I am used to..... Just love those rock formations.. Here in my neck of the woods we have trees=trea
    es and a few more trees... Oh, and 11,000 lakes.... Keep those great shots coming please. OMM.
    grizzlygpa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Great pictures! looking forward to the rest of the ride.....
    Thanks! There's more coming right up.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Thanks for that. Quite possibly my favorite part of the planet and every time you file a ride report I'm reminded just how little of it I've explored.
    You're welcome. I took you up on your suggestion to get some bean pie in Bicknell. Right tasty! Reminds me some of pecan pie, but with enough difference to make it unique. Like you I'm looking forward to the ride report on the UTBDR cause I would also like to ride that some day. I'm not sure I'll be up for the Lockhart Basin part again, though. That about kicked my butt! Rough, rocky, and technical in places.

Quote Originally Posted by old mad max View Post
    Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice..... It's so different than what I am used to..... Just love those rock formations.. Here in my neck of the woods we have trees=trea
    es and a few more trees... Oh, and 11,000 lakes.... Keep those great shots coming please. OMM.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. On with the report.

Day 2.

So, instead of trying my luck at the impassable part of the road ahead I turned around and headed up the road to Cannonville. Looks like they have some patriotic folks in this area.

Kind of hard to see, but there's also a flag on top of this butte west of Henrieville. Don't ask me how they got it up there.

Just west of Henrieville I had stopped to look at some roadside signs telling about the country when lo and behold a TW goes ripping by. I waved, and the TW rider slowed and came back. Sorry, I'm terrible with remembering names unless I get to use them a little bit, but a nice young man was heading for Silverton, Colorado. He was going to participate at the aid stations for a marathon taking place around there. He said he would be doing several of the passes around Silverton, and was going to post a ride report on this forum when he was done. I'm looking forward to seeing his report. His bike was set up very well, and he had already covered a significant distance on his trip.

We rode together into Escalante. From there we split up. He was going east to Boulder, then down the Burr Trail. I was headed north up over the Boulder Mountains. It was nice to meet him.

There are actually quite a few lakes on the top of the Boulders, with some good fishing. This is Posey Lake.

It was pretty open on top of the Boulders. I saw a lone buck antelope, and a couple of graders blading the road. Before I knew it I was in Bicknell, where I got a bit to eat and some gas for the bike. On down the road to the east I went, headed for the Henry Mountains.

I passed through Capitol Reef National Park. This formation is called The Castle.

This old pioneer cabin is located on the east end of Capitol Reef, not far from the road.

I turned south on the Notom-Bullfrog road, headed for the cutoff to the Henry Mountains. I followed the tracks I had prepared, and making a left turn I ran into this:

As I started backtracking it became evident I had overshot my turn. So, making the correct turn I headed for the Henrys. The Henry Mountains are impressive because there isn't much in the way of foothills. They jut up to over 11,500 feet, which is significantly higher than the surrounding landscape. The Henrys were the last mountain range to be added to the map of the 48 contiguous United States. Also, the Henry Mountains are the home to about 500 buffalo. I didn't get to see any, though. It's quite a climb up the side of the mountain. I saw only one other person on my whole ride over the mountain.

As I crossed over to the east side of the mountain I could see lots of red rock. That's where I was headed.

Last edited by B-dub; 07-16-2013 at 11:11 AM.

As I neared the bottom of the mountain there was some evidence of mining activity. I saw a couple of old cabins.

Somebody cared enough about this one to provide some support to prevent the roof from collapsing.

There appeared to be some mine shafts over there, but I didn't take time to check them out.

This is what it looked like last year when I tried to cross the Henrys east to west.

This year there were some clouds that I was keeping an eye on, but I made it over no problem.

After hitting the pavement I headed for Hite to gas up. When I stopped at the overlook above Lake Powell I was shocked how low it was. Last year:

This year:

Last edited by B-dub; 07-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    bad luck likes this.

Great pics and report!! Any camping pics?

I pulled into Hite to find the little store closed up. Fortunately the gas pump is available 24 hours a day, so I topped up the bike as I wouldn't be seeing gas again until Moab. Just a short distance up the road from Hite is the turn off to the Wooden Shoe road. I made the turn and headed up the road. The road was good, but the further I went the more remote it felt. I saw just one campsite on this whole stretch of road, and no other people.

Eventually I started climbing up Elk Mountain toward the Wooden Shoe buttes. This canyon was quite colorful in the late afternoon light.

By the time I got on top the sun was getting low, and I started looking for a campsite. I was cruising up the road when I saw 3 buck deer in the road. One of them was pretty good sized. I slowed down as 2 of the bucks walked into the brush. The 3rd just stared at me for a few seconds more, then he too disappeared into the brush. I tried to get pics, but they didn't turn out well enough to see much. It was fun to see them, though.

I found a campsite and set up the tent just as the sun was going down. Here's the campsite the following morning. I noticed a Timber Cruiser had been through here and tagged a number of trees for removal.

End of Day 2. More to come.
    Last edited by B-dub; 08-13-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    bad luck and Gerry like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links