No Business Lookout
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No Business Lookout

Did a little camping, geocaching and riding this past weekend, with the highlight of the weekend being No Business Lookout. Had a few other destinations on the schedule of events, but as usual, ran out of time. Visual of our wanderings

First up was "On Top of the World Cache". Ran into a herd of Elk on the way. Young one's in the bunch as well. Don't usually have the camera ready
    but we were parked at the cache

Cache was placed here almost 2 years ago and we are the "First to Find"

Parked near the cache. Hillside in the background still green. Been very hot and dry out here causing most thinks to dry up and turn brown

That water looks good. To bad it's so far away. Spotted Cascade Lake as we near the lookout. If you look close you can see a sailboat out in the middle

Ah, here's our destination - No Business Lookout (had a cache here too). Notice the "Bird cage" lightning protection system surrounding the lookout.
    It was busy up here today with lots of traffic.

Did I mention it was busy!

Walk way to the outhouse

Cozy place for the outhouse

George on the doggie lookout platform

Me signing the geocache log here at the lookout

Everyone left the lookout but us. The lookout is here in the picture. Very nice guy and gave us a tour.
    Notice this is a two story cabin lookout with a storage type basement area too.

Mr. Lookout showed us around the place. Here is his first floor living area. This lookout is also unique in that it has electricity, but no running water

Old phone and fire extinguisher- cool

Viewing south from the top floor

Here's the Osborne Firefinder thingy. History link: http://www.nysforestrangers.com/arch...y%20kresek.pdf

Viewing NE of Payette Lake and McCall, Idaho. One sure can see a lot up here!

George resting while we get ready to leave the lookout

Unfortunately, you can also see some of the fires up here too!

On a nearby mountain top, we can see the launching of an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM)

Of course I may have this wrong? Oops, it's just an FAA navigation thing, my bad!

After visiting the lookout, we spent the rest of the day wondering some old logging roads and taking a break now and then...in the shade!

What, road construction up on a logging road? We did have to do some backtracking and finding other routes

Great day of riding and now time for some R & R. Hope you enjoy
    Last edited by admiral; 07-24-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

And a little video action
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Admiral - great pics and video...it looks like you are "finished" at the end of the video! a little warm eh?
    Also, I am not sure what muffler/pipe setup you have on that bike but I want it....sounds just like a MotoGP bike sometimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Admiral, you come up with some of the nicest ride reports and pics! Thanks for sharing so much!

Ah, someone got a little sunburned! Wow, that was a very interesting and enjoyable ride report and video, Admiral. Enjoyed the picture of the elk, they're beautiful animals. First to find on a 2 year old cache! You must've been in some remote country. I especially enjoyed the tour of the lookout. The birdcage lightning protection, the fire finder, the old telephone, that all was pretty cool - and you weren't kidding about it being busy up there! I liked the rear facing camera shot in the video, too. You're lucky to have such great riding buddies. Thanks for taking us along on your ride, that was a lot of fun.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

You guys are soooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky to live near all these great trails................ The bad lands were as close as my wife and I have come to trails like that... Nice vid. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    I am not sure what muffler/pipe setup you have on that bike but I want it....sounds just like a MotoGP bike sometimes.
    I couldn't resist when I ran across the soundtrack!

Thanks, glad you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by old mad max View Post
    You guys are soooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky to live near all these great trails................ The bad lands were as close as my wife and I have come to trails like that... Nice vid. OMM.
    Badlands, Black Hills, & Devils Tower area are great. Just a lot of miles to get to them. I grew up in Minnesota (you can tell by my accent) and would have never ever considered owning a dual purpose motorcycle. No place to ride except the streets, paved back country roads and gravel roads. After a job transfer brought me out to Idaho 20 years ago, I knew I wasn't going back and was here to stay. Dual purpose here I come! I'm having so much fun discovering this part of the country and occasionally I see a corn field or two!

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    Ah, someone got a little sunburned! Enjoyed the picture of the elk, they're beautiful animals. First to find on a 2 year old cache! You must've been in some remote country. I liked the rear facing camera shot in the video, too. You're lucky to have such great riding buddies.
    Being fair skinned, my tan doesn't look so tan does it

I use to run into herds of Elk all the time, but since the re-introduction of wolves, it's become much more rare. It was cool to see them. Also, something not caught by video or my camera, while sitting at the cache we could hear a calf calling out to the rest of the heard. Eventually, the calf found the heard. Now that was neat to see and hear.

The cache is not as remote as I would've thought, but I'm guessing since it's only a "log only cache" (no trade items), folks have skipped it. As usual, I myself probably wouldn't have come this way had it not been for the cache. Didn't take a photo, but there were great views of the valley looking north towards New Meadows, ID. Glad I came this way.

All I had to do was turn the camera around in the mount to video rearward. Why I didn't think of that until now is beyond me! I did make a mistake in the video though, I accidently put the clip in twice at the end. To big a hassel to re-edit it and correct this mistake.

I'm so, so happy my wife likes to ride. She really wants to ride a motorcycle, but doesn't want to learn the shifting thing. I'm happy she's along no matter what she rides. Georgie, she's my pard for sure!
    Last edited by admiral; 07-25-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links