Out and About
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Out and About

Out and About

After a long dry spell of exploring on the TW I was finally able to get out for a few hours last Saturday. There's a nice scenic road at the base of the Pine Valley mountains that I like to ride occasionally, so I decided to give it a shot. The weather forecast called for thunderstorms, but when I checked Saturday morning it was down to about a 30% chance. So, using Admiral's logic I calculated that to be a 70% chance that it wouldn't rain. I decided to ride the road from west to east, that way once on the road I would be headed for home.

I rode backroads towards St. George. The green you can see at the base of the redrock is "The Cove" where I used to ride my Honda 50 as a kid.

The Pine Valley Mountains, where I'm headed.

On the way I passed this old tunnel. I remember when this was a major road into St. George. Now it's been condemned, and just being used for storage. How things change.

On the way up I passed the site of the old turkey farm where I spent many an evening herding turkeys in my younger days. It wasn't much fun as jobs go, but paid well.

The old turkey farm is now part of a desert reserve - reserved for the desert tortoises and their guests. There are hiking trails on the desert reserve, but no motorized vehicles are allowed here. This gate is to keep the tortoises in, and the likes of Tony out!

Like Admiral's stomping grounds there has been plenty of volcanic activity in this area. You can also see a storm is building.

Headin' on up, to the east side!

Finally made it into the PJ's (Pines/Junipers).

Manzanita are one of my favorite plants. I love the beautiful red branches. These are looking a little stressed, though. Normally the leaves are darker green in color.

As I travelled east it became evident the building storm was travelling the same direction as me, and about the same speed. I hoped to stay at the leading edge of the storm, if not outrun it.

It was a pleasant ride, in spite of the storm.

More to come.
    Last edited by B-dub; 08-26-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    old white truck likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

No stream crossing for me here! This is Cottonwood Creek.

We've had some heavy rainfall recently, with some flooding. It took a pretty good torrent to move this rock. It was probably a combination of erosion and hydraulic pressure that did the trick.

Different drainage.

Seems like this one should've been called Cottonwood Creek. That's a pretty good sized Cottonwood!

This is a favorite area for rapelling and canyoneering. It used to be a good area for mountain lions, but despite the roughness this road is well travelled now and I doubt there are any cats near the road.

The storm is catching up!

Shortly thereafter it started to rain. I stopped and put my rain gear on. As soon as I had it on, it stopped raining!

On down the road it started raining again, with a little hail mixed in. There was plenty of thunder and lightning as well. Fortunately, nothing too close.

As I rode east down off the mountain the storm continued to the northeast, and I rode out of the storm. Since I was in the vicinity of Silver Reef I decided to look around some. Some old mining stuff.

Remains of the Barbee & Walker mill.

I visited the pioneer cemeteries. There were three, one for Catholics, one for Protestants, and one for the Chinese.

There were some graves marked "Unknown".

Last edited by B-dub; 05-07-2014 at 12:00 PM.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read anywhere. I know we have similar areas to explore here in California, but this post makes me want to saddle up and head for Utah.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

These grave markers had no writing at all on them.

I couldn't locate the Chinese cemetary. The story goes that one of the Chinese miners left Silver Reef and hit the big time in San Francisco. Since it was then considered a disgrace to be buried on foreign soil, this Chinese man returned to Silver Reef, had all of the Chinese bodies exhumed and returned to China.

At the neighboring community of Leeds I stopped at the site of an old CCC camp.

I located the site where the above picture was taken, and took a modern day version. Unfortunately, there are so many trees now that it's hard to see where the camp existed. If you look closely, however, you will see one of the remaining building on the hill to the left.

An old mine dump west of Leeds.

A restored pioneer building in the nearby "Ghost Town" of Harrisburg.

Before restoration.

After.

An unrestored building in Harrisburg. Both of these building are easily seen from I-15.

From Harrisburg I rode around Quail Creek Reservoir. I didn't grab a picture, but noticed the boaters were out taking advantage of the last days of summer. The rest of the ride home was pretty uneventful. I hope you enjoyed the ride, I did.
    Last edited by B-dub; 09-01-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    lizrdbrth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    This is one of the best posts I have ever read anywhere. I know we have similar areas to explore here in California, but this post makes me want to saddle up and head for Utah.
    I'm glad you're enjoying the report. Thanks for the kind words.

As usual, a fantastic RR B-dub.

I always enjoy the way you highlight historical sights, but the photo that really stuck with me from this trip is the one of that massive boulder that shifted a few feet into the creek bed.

Makes me imagine how long that great hunk of rock sat in one place, only to suddenly tumble a tad bit closer to the inevitable geological destiny awaiting it downstream. Seeing little shifts like that in the fate of a single boulder have a way of dropping my jaw and opening my mind to the nearly inconceivable time scales of the processes that have and continue to shape the deserts and mountains around us.

Thank you again for taking us along on one of your great rides.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

B-dub, Great report on a fun looking solo ride. It makes me want to get out on my T-dub more often. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    As usual, a fantastic RR B-dub.

I always enjoy the way you highlight historical sights, but the photo that really stuck with me from this trip is the one of that massive boulder that shifted a few feet into the creek bed.

Makes me imagine how long that great hunk of rock sat in one place, only to suddenly tumble a tad bit closer to the inevitable geological destiny awaiting it downstream. Seeing little shifts like that in the fate of a single boulder have a way of dropping my jaw and opening my mind to the nearly inconceivable time scales of the processes that have and continue to shape the deserts and mountains around us.

Thank you again for taking us along on one of your great rides.
    Thanks, glad you liked it. Yes, the forces of nature are definitely something to be reckoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    B-dub, Great report on a fun looking solo ride. It makes me want to get out on my T-dub more often. Thanks for sharing.

Joe
    Thanks, Joe. If my report makes you want to get out more often, then I've been successful! I feel the same way after viewing you guys' reports. Looking forward to Part 3! I wish I could ride it with you! Some day.

B-dub,

GREAT photography and interesting places. I love looking for old abandoned historical sites. Looks like you have a mother lode of them there.

The abandoned tunnel turned storage is very intriguing.

The CCC left quite a few projects that can still be found in Oregon as well. The old stonework is cool - especially considering I doubt we will ever see quality and aesthetics like that in public works again.

You have some especially good bike pictures in there too.

Thanks for taking me on a tour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links