First time on the TW in Eastern CA
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First time on the TW in Eastern CA

First time on the TW in Eastern CA

Hello folks!

What a wonderful community you guys are! I'm a long time outdoor/adventure person, but super noob to the motorcycling world. For the last year, I've been on a 1974 Honda XL 175, modified so that my tiny self (4'11") can flat-foot the ground. It's a fine ride for what I do (poke around and take pictures) but spare parts are hard to come by. I needed something more modern...perhaps w/o a kick start...and the stars TOTALLY lined up for me and a completely adventure ready 2002 TW200! My BF (on a Suzuki DR200) and I took it out last weekend and it was all kinds of awesome!! Still a bit too tall for me, especially coming from the XL175...um, I can't actually get the kick stand down while standing on my other foot so I'll have to follow the lead of the fine minds on this forum and mount that rear shock a little lower.

Hope you enjoy my short trip report and I hope to have many more to come!
    Adventures of Jankinoto - Peech's Black Ops

PS - I'm in my 30's but with all of my other adventure activities, the parents really did not need to know about "new ways I've found to kill myself before giving them grandchildren"...hence the title of the blog.
    PlacerLode and Braden like this.

U rawk, young lady. Oh, and yer pics do, too.

By chance was that bike once half of a matched "his and hers" set? Looks suspiciously familliar.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-30-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum Peech.

Sounds like you picked up a very nicely equipped TW and are using it the way they are intended to be used.

Looking forward to your ride reports!

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My wife loves that hers (TW) is now lowered. She's 5-1. I drilled the lower shock mount and that dropped the bike 3-4 in. Also lowered the front forks about 1.5in seems to have done the trick. She's much more comfortable riding off road now.

Here is the info I used to lower my wife's. Came from Justin5117. Here is the whole thread if you like. https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...n-2009-tw.html

Please excuse the dirt, I had gone trail riding yesterday and hadn't cleaned the bike yet. You see the drilled hole, then the front bars are lowered as well.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x750.
    Last edited by goldenhtr; 08-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    PlacerLode likes this.

lizrdbrth - This bike was posted in the classifieds section not too long ago...maybe that's what looks so familiar about it! Now, a "his and hers" set makes a whole lotta sense in the backcountry (same spare parts and sized tools) but I'm seriously NOT into the matchy matchy couple cutesy thing AT ALL!!! I do think the BF is starting to like the TW better than his DR200 so I better watch out!

goldenhtr - Thank you so much for the link! Since I don't trust myself to drill it straight and don't own a drill press I'll just take the swingarm off and take it into a local shop. From other related posts it seems that lowering the attachment point by 3/4 inch will do the job.

welcome to the forum, and keep the pictures coming. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    I enjoyed your blog. You have found possibly the best forum with many helpful and knowledgeable members. So often on other forums you encounter rude responses, often followed by a curt " use the search function " . ( which usually does not work very well ) It looks like you already know how special of a bike the TW is, and if you are not already, you will be hooked. Welcome to the community. Rubber side down, Dave

I too enjoyed your blog and all the great pics. You make me sick with envy for all the great adventures you are having and wishing on my part just ain't getting it. Oh to be young again and to have the resources to do it over with such a flare.

You need to do an addition to your blog titled " Toys R Us" and show off some of the gear and bikes, bicycles and camping stuff. Your photography equipment appears to be of rather high quality as well because your pics are stunning.

welcome to our forum and I look forward to viewing more and hearing about future adventures.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Welcome, and thanks for the cool ride report. I'm also impressed with the quality of your pics. I thought the 'glyphs were pretty cool. I look forward to seeing more ride reports from you.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Pretty country which your pictures show well and a cool spot to ride. The TW is great isn't it?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links