The Old Santa Cruz Highway
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Old Santa Cruz Highway

The Old Santa Cruz Highway

This section of the old road is the least maintained and the least used hence the closest to the original road as it was in 1941 when the new road opened. It is right off the highway and passed my thousands of people a day and I doubt very many people even know about it or care for that matter. For me I really enjoy finding and riding on these old, little used roads. It is part of local history.

For locals, at 1:56 or so, I marked Schulties Rd. If you take Schulties Rd. it will lead to where the town of Laurel used to be. In this area there is a portal to a train tunnel that was made in 1880 -- talk about history. The tunnel is 6000' in length and the other end comes out in Glenwood -- ever notice the Glenwood turn off on your way to the beach? Glenwood is also a "used to be town".

If you are wandering aimlessly in the Santa Cruz Mountains I highly recommend a visit to Laurel to see the train tunnel portal and then go to Glenwood and see if you can find the other end. It makes for a fun ride.

r80rt, admiral and PlacerLode like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Beautiful ride!
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Brings back memories, I lived in Santa Cruz and Soquel in the early 80's.
    Beautiful country! Thanks for the video!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

backroads of the santa cruz mountains with tony!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    In this area there is a portal to a train tunnel that was made in 1880 -- talk about history. The tunnel is 6000' in length and the other end comes out in Glenwood -- ever notice the Glenwood turn off on your way to the beach? Glenwood is also a "used to be town".

If you are wandering aimlessly in the Santa Cruz Mountains I highly recommend a visit to Laurel to see the train tunnel portal and then go to Glenwood and see if you can find the other end. It makes for a fun ride.
    For my benefit, I kindly request you aimlessly wander the area with your camera in the vicinity of the train tunnel portal!

Very scenic section of old road with all the curves, riding in the shade, and even throw in an old wooden bridge! I'm betting the newer road is boring compared to this section. TFS
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Is Alice's Restaurant still operating on Skyline? There's some great trails West of Skeggs Point if you don't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    For my benefit, I kindly request you aimlessly wander the area with your camera in the vicinity of the train tunnel portal!
    I second that! That was cool, put a grin on my face! I also like riding the old, little used roads. Thanks for taking us along on your ride, and for sharing the history. I love that stuff!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Senior Member BugSpatteredJacket's Avatar
    +1 Great Vid, thanks for sharing!
    BugSpatteredJacket
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    Beautiful ride!
    The redwoods are nice -- fun riding in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Brings back memories, I lived in Santa Cruz and Soquel in the early 80's.
    Beautiful country! Thanks for the video!
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    backroads of the santa cruz mountains with tony!
    The difference between these hills and the hills by you is truly astounding given they are just a few miles apart but both are beautiful in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post

Very scenic section of old road with all the curves, riding in the shade, and even throw in an old wooden bridge! I'm betting the newer road is boring compared to this section. TFS
    Standby -- I have some stills I can post when I get them together.......As for the new road it can be very exciting when you consider semi trucks, people texting, cell phones, speeders or slow pokes, etc. It demands all your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by trailscout View Post
    Is Alice's Restaurant still operating on Skyline? There's some great trails West of Skeggs Point if you don't get caught.
    Taken today 9-7-'13. Any excuse to go for a ride. The sun was in the wrong place so I had to get off to one side but you get the idea.

Years ago Skeggs was a great place to ride -- endless trails. Now a days it is different. I think they will machine gun a motorcyclist caught in there. Not really, J/K. Probably only hang you.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    I second that! That was cool, put a grin on my face! I also like riding the old, little used roads. Thanks for taking us along on your ride, and for sharing the history. I love that stuff!
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by BugSpatteredJacket View Post
    +1 Great Vid, thanks for sharing!
    Again, you're welcome.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Thanks for the picture of Alice's Restaurant. I saved it. Brings back memories. I used to go past there virtually every weekend on the way to the P.I.T.S. to ride dirt bikes with my kids on those trails West of Skeggs point.

I don't think you'd get shot for riding there but your picture would be taken by multiple smart phones along the way and forwarded to the local LEO.

Just be sure to throw some mud on your license plate JK

You can ride mt bikes there now but you can't take your dog as it receives Federal money as an animal preserve. I still have an old map of the P.I.T.S. trails.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links