Need advice on Moab Trip
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need advice on Moab Trip

Need advice on Moab Trip

Would appreciate any advice you guys can provide. Planning a week long trip to Moab, Utah in April/May 2014. I have a Yamaha TTR230, and my buddy has a Honda CRF 250X. I would describe my riding skill as beginner to intermediate.

(!) Any trail recommendations based on my riding level. Any trails or areas you feel are a must do.

(2) Lodging recommendations, ideally would like to be able stay at a place where bike can be stored away when not being used.

(3) Days to avoid due to big events in April, and May

(4) Favorite restaurants

(5) Other activities, sight seeing to do.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Are you going through Colorado? If you are, I'd stop by Grand Junction on the way. Exit @ Horizon DR, head towards the airport and take the roundabout that's heading South in front of the airport. From there, I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd right (you'll know by driving just past "Leightner Poma" building on the right. Once you're on this road it takes you by the West fence of the airport. Once you hit dirt/packed sand, you can unload your bike LEGALLY on BLM land and ride for 30+ miles West (hundreds of thousand of acres) and just explore. Every weekend people bring their bikes to race or explore. Make sure you don't run out of gas. Moab will be crowded pretty much as soon as it warms up. Hotels are WAAAYYY overpriced for being dumps IF you can get a room. Moab will be technical riding (rocks) without much space to really open 'em up without law enforcement harassment. Grand Junction/BLM is vast with some rocks but more opportunity to ride/jump really nice hills, rocks and be able to get to areas where you can run WOT. Do yourself and make the stop then continue on to MOAB so you can get a feel for what you prefer.
    retmotor likes this.

Oh and I forgot to mention about Grand Junction:
    - College town
    - Real Beer (Utah only allows 3.2)
    - Wider variety of restaurants
    - Cheaper hotels
    - Real Hospital
    - Marijuana is legal for recreational use if that's your thing (and you're over 21).
    - Honda & Yammy dealers in town with parts dept focusing on dirtbikes (really popular there with all the riding opportunity)
    - Close to Grand Mesa.
    - Close to Colorado National Monument.

Aww crap, just check this out:

Outdoor Recreation | Grand Junction, CO

I lived there for a year up until March 2013. Moab is about 2.5 hours away. I visited Moab before I moved to GJ. Now I live in SW FL In the end we're talking MILLIONS of acres of riding areas instead of my earlier statement about hundreds of thousands.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Do you have a Garmin GPS and Basecamp or Mapsource?

If so, PM me and I'll send you my Moab area tracks. They are mostly easy to intermediate because I'm too old.

Lodging in Moab in April or May? Forget it unless you already have reservations. Try Monticello or plan on camping.

Lot's of good scenic and non technical riding down that way anyway, and FAR fewer crazy people.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

AND, if you want to look at something on Google Earth, here are a bunch of trails that you can put into a GPS as well:

Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads.kmz

1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

You guys are so helpful. This site rocks Ummm ,sands, waters, and trees. (o; OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7_TW View Post
    Are you going through Colorado? If you are, I'd stop by Grand Junction on the way. Exit @ Horizon DR, head towards the airport and take the roundabout that's heading South in front of the airport. From there, I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd right (you'll know by driving just past "Leightner Poma" building on the right. Once you're on this road it takes you by the West fence of the airport. Once you hit dirt/packed sand, you can unload your bike LEGALLY on BLM land and ride for 30+ miles West (hundreds of thousand of acres) and just explore. Every weekend people bring their bikes to race or explore. Make sure you don't run out of gas. Moab will be crowded pretty much as soon as it warms up. Hotels are WAAAYYY overpriced for being dumps IF you can get a room. Moab will be technical riding (rocks) without much space to really open 'em up without law enforcement harassment. Grand Junction/BLM is vast with some rocks but more opportunity to ride/jump really nice hills, rocks and be able to get to areas where you can run WOT. Do yourself and make the stop then continue on to MOAB so you can get a feel for what you prefer.
    I lived there as well and worked at Poma for several years. I had a large road bike with sidecar that was my main transportation mostly year round. I also had a Honda 110 that I used all the time out in the area you are talking about...miles and miles of riding...along Mt. Garfield.

+1

Moab is a great area. I was there last June for several days. I was in My 4X4 motorhome and had not yet bought a TW 200. One of the rides you might want to consider is the White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP. I was tempted to do it in my MH, but I decided that it might be a bit tight for my unit. My stay in the area is what convinced me to buy a TW as I think the White Rim ride would be great. You can Google it and get lots of information. The TW or any other small bike would also be ideal for general touring in the area. As for accomodations, there is a campground just across the river from downtown Moab that is very nice, and is reasonably priced for the area. It has lots of grass and shade trees and also has cabins for rent. Have fun. Bob

With a street legal bike, it is unlikely the local cops will go out of their way to bother you. They have lots of problems with other vehicles -- you'll know what I mean if you spend some time downtown towards the end of the day.

That time of the year can be downright cool. Be prepared for the cold, just in case.

I've only driven a cage in Moab, but I think Fins and Things and Hell's Revenge would alright. Fins and Things is short and would probably be pretty easy. The rock formations are so unique, it's almost a must see. Hell's Revenge would be a bit tougher but I've seen bikes on it -- almost all slick rock and lots of up and downs. It wasn't really challenging in the Samurai, but I really enjoyed the trail itself. Elephant Hill just outside of Moab is incredibly scenic. Some of the neatest rock formations I've ever seen, I saw while on that trail. That's be an all-day ride. Someone else will have to tell you if it's something you can ride though. Trails change with time...
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links