AZ. Riders, need route suggestions.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AZ. Riders, need route suggestions.

AZ. Riders, need route suggestions.

I'm trying to string together around 500 miles of pavement-less route from here to the Phoenix area. I can get from here to the Colorado River without seeing pavement via several routes.

Anyone have thoughts about offroad routing from the river into Phoenix from any point between Blythe and Kingman? I'm good for about 300 miles without fuel and looking at about mid-November.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-17-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

hemmingway had his 6 word story, here's my attempt:

(i) smell epic trip! ride report requested.
    lizrdbrth likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I wish I could help, but i REALLY wish I could go along.
    littletommy and lizrdbrth like this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A friend and I have been working on a way from Phoenix to Kingman. Got side tracked and have not finished. There is a route that some have done. I'll try to check around and see if I can find a GPS track. The route we were going to take runs along the West side of Burro Creek Wilderness.

Another route to consider would be through the Alamo Lake area. I've ridden from Bouse to Parker on dirt and from Bouse to Alamo Lake. Several years ago. I've never tried from Alamo Lake to Burro Creek but it looks doable on dirt.

If you use a GPS, Hunting Maps for Arizona would be a big help. Plan an a few stretches of serious off road stuff or hitting some pavement for a few miles in some places.

I'll do some looking around. Lots of desert out there. The Hunting GPS Maps are a big help for avoiding private property and locked gates. Not fool proof but a definite help.

Sounds fun. I seem to be gravitating more and more toward the TW.
    lizrdbrth likes this.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Wasn't intended to be epic. Trips like this were the reason I built the bike the way I did in the first place. By now such trips were supposed to be an everyday occurrence. lol.

Yeah, right. Stuff happens. But if all goes well I may finally get to squeeze this particular ride in before it gets too cold for a fragile flower like me.

TScout, the Burro Creek route was one of the ones I was hoping to connect the dots to in my initial planning a few years ago. Thanks for the tip on the maps.

Slightly O.T., but it reminded me that I need to look into "Negro Ed" (the man himself as opposed to the mountain named after him). Place names like that interest me and I've been known to go a hundred or more miles out of my way on far thinner threads than that. I think Burro Creek iis now a random done deal. Back to connecting the dots.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-17-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've ridden dirt trails and roads to Burro Creek Road from the Phoenix area. Can't actually get to Pheonix quite on dirt. If you were to go through Lake Pleasant, Carefree HWY 74 would be about the end of the dirt. There are small paved roads with lower speeds if you wanted to go completely into Phoenix. Or you could go to Prescott on dirt. Or Mayer. Or Black Canyon City. Or Wickenburg and loop around through Buckeye to the South of Phoenix. Real fun low speed paved road on that route.

When you hit Hwy 97 coming out of Burro Creek Road, depending on rainfall and the water level on the Santa Maria River, there might be 3-5 miles of pavement to get to Date Creek Road which leads down to near Congress. Cross Hwy 89 and keep trucking. Not many or maybe any trails and roads between there and Phoenix that I haven't been on.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by trailscout View Post
    I've ridden dirt trails and roads to Burro Creek Road from the Phoenix area. Can't actually get to Pheonix quite on dirt. If you were to go through Lake Pleasant, Carefree HWY 74 would be about the end of the dirt. There are small paved roads with lower speeds if you wanted to go completely into Phoenix. Or you could go to Prescott on dirt. Or Mayer. Or Black Canyon City. Or Wickenburg and loop around through Buckeye to the South of Phoenix. Real fun low speed paved road on that route.

When you hit Hwy 97 coming out of Burro Creek Road, depending on rainfall and the water level on the Santa Maria River, there might be 3-5 miles of pavement to get to Date Creek Road which leads down to near Congress. Cross Hwy 89 and keep trucking. Not many or maybe any trails and roads between there and Phoenix that I haven't been on.
    I'm not neccessarily interested in getting to Phoenix proper. It's just a general direction toward what I want to see between here and there. When you don't care where yer goin' you don't mind not getting there. lol.

Once I've had my fill I'll know, then I'll either slab it back to here with a stop to see Hi Jolly, or head north and do 66 back. The return trip will likely be a marathon but I want to keep the dirt part as open ended as possible.

This will be my shakedown run for an eventual shot at the Santa Fe/Mormon trail from here to Utah, which is a good deal further and a lot more sparse in terms of services

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    r80rt likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I'm not neccessarily interested in getting to Phoenix proper. It's just a general direction toward what I want to see between here and there. When you don't care where yer goin' you don't mind not getting there. lol.

Once I've had my fill I'll know, then I'll either slab it back to here with a stop to see Hi Jolly, or head north and do 66 back. The return trip will likely be a marathon but I want to keep the dirt part as open ended as possible.

This will be my shakedown run for an eventual shot at the Santa Fe/Mormon trail from here to Utah, which is a good deal further and a lot more sparse in terms of services
    There are plenty of roads to get you to Phoenix without hitting pavement, although you will have to cross over some paved roads. The biggest drawback is that a lot of the routes between Calif. and Wickenburg are traveling along washes which are basically deep loose sand that will work you to the max. From Wickenburg, you can make it all the way to Phoenix and see some very nice country traveling through the Bradshaws, up the back way to Crown King, down to Cordes, Table Mesa, Bloody Basin, Sheep Bridge. I actually cross the footbridge and then take the road down the east side of the river and then cross Horseshoe Dam via the footpath. The TW will just fit. If you want company when you get near Wickenburgh, let me know and I'm sure a few of us could join you for a day or two, especially given a few days notice.
    littletommy likes this.

And we could all take a swing through The Black Mountain Madness Trail.

Hidden Content

Thanks guys. More viable options than I'd been able to dig up on my own. Gotta love this place.

Nevada woulda been easier. Just point the bike north, steer around the rattlesnakes and the occasional Hummerload of guys with guns and keep riding till everyone speaks French. lol.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links