Splinter and a Lizrd (finally) do Vegas, the hard way.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Splinter and a Lizrd (finally) do Vegas, the hard way.

Splinter and a Lizrd (finally) do Vegas, the hard way.

Splinter and I took advantage of a sudden window of opportunity to finally scope out the B-to-V route via TW. Found it quite TW-able for the 205 or so offroad miles from our area to Primm, Nevada. 422 miles showing on the Garmin for the round trip this morning:

A (very) few phone pics to follow. Took a really nice camera. MINUS an SD card. I'm hoping Splinter's phone caught better pics than mine.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    DonBenito, r80rt and retmotor like this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thought I'd put one of the last ones first. It's significant in that for the first 150 miles we'd not seen another vehicle, person or any wildlife of note other than an occasional roadrunner or a lizard. In the last 50 or so miles dropping down into Primm we spotted a desert bighorn ram, a few rogue cattle and a small band of these little dudes. If you look carefully you'll see the wild jenny burro on the trail in front of Splinter. All her homies split, but this little alpha jenny layed her ears back and stood her ground right in the middle of the trail until the others made a clean getaway:

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-28-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    DonBenito and r80rt like this.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Great meeting you by chance at the gas station in Primm yesterday.
    I felt like I was in the presence of a Rock Star because of the ubiquitious nature of Mr. Breath on this Forum and the fact that you do Rock...
    CHEERS!
    Steven

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Steven, was great meeting you, as well. Particularly in such an unlikely place.

For the rest of you, we had just arrived in Primm when an SUV pulled up next to us and the guy asks "Are you guys on the TW forum?".

How many of you can say that you had a bonafide Bigfoot siting on YOUR last ride?

Losers.

r80rt likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hesperia huh? I worked there the year of '67/'68.

That was not a one day loop was it?
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Most mentions of this ride approach from the Antelope Valley from the west or from a dropoff point at Minneola Road or elsewhere. The starting point for our trip was a bit different in that the goal was to scout the route for a future trip with a group of TWr's. We wanted to stay offroad from home to Primm if possible, so we kinda stammered around a bit with the route between home and north of Barstow in the early part of the day. Now that we have it nailed down I suppose it could be done as a day ride, but it would be one helluva long day. Maybe 20 hours or so? We carried everything we needed for up to 4 days, just in case. Camped about 50 miles short of Primm the first day, then on to Primm, then home. Felt about right.

The route isn't particularly difficult as most of it follows the route of the powerlines to Hoover Dam, but it is 205 miles after all, and includes a number of stretches where the trail is composed primarily of lava rock, a considerable number of long stretches of soft sand, huge washouts and deeply rutted climbs. Just enough difficulty to keep you on your toes and in the sub-30mph range with the TW's suspension.

Though marred to a degree by the constant proximity to the powerlines, the back country is vast, endless and beautiful throughout. I suspect one could find at least a month's worth of sidetrips from anywhere along the powerline route:

I hope Splinter got better pics of this, but it was a first for me. A sinkhole in the middle of a side trail off of one of the lava rock sections. I steered past it, then realized I hadn't seen the bottom of it. Upon closer examination this little hole was about 10 feet deep and wider underground than at the surface. The ground was spongy all around it and I reckon it coulda swallered up most of a bike if we'd centerpunched it:

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-28-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    DonBenito and r80rt like this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Wow, I've come across a few badger holes in the middle of the road and thought that was a big enough hazard - I can't imagine finding something like that in the middle of the trail. Glad you didn't take the plunge! Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your ride!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    How many of you can say that you had a bonafide Bigfoot siting on YOUR last ride?

Losers.
    that is so last rr.... and if only you had made the sheet iron II....

silly lizrd, don't you know sasquatch country is up north?
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yeah, but clearly ours are more highly evolved. Your Yetis will never drive cuz they forage in those "funny fields" and they keep getting their giant Birkies stuck in the pedals.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-28-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Wow, looks like a nice long ride through some gorgeous desert.

Them sinkholes are scary things, passed a few big ones myself in some bottomlands last weekend. Sure made me reconsider splashing through the next puddle I saw!

Glad you guys found your route, from looking at Google Earth satellite images of the area you rode through it looks like a fella would have plenty of opportunities to make a wrong turn.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links