New Member "Hello" and Washingto State Forest Ride
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By DaveF
  • 1 Post By DaveF

Thread: New Member "Hello" and Washingto State Forest Ride

New Member "Hello" and Washington State Forest Ride

This is my first attempt at posting in this forum: I am a 70 year old retired senior and an avid reader of the TW 200 Forum.

In June of this year I purchased a 2009 TW 200, attended motorcycle training and obtained my first motorcycle license. At the time of purchase the TW had 900 miles on the odometer and since then I have added 700 more miles. I love riding the TW, seeing and hearing the sights and sounds around me. I enjoy riding on every type of road or improved trail, except freeways and high speed highways.
    So far my rides have been in the areas around Olympia, Washington where I live. I am fortunate that I have nearby country roads and mountain trails to ride. One such place is Capitol State Forest, which is located 15 miles from my home and reaches elevations up to 2669 feet. Capitol State Forest is managed by the Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources for commercial and recreational purposes. The forest consists of more than 90,000 acres with many paved roads, hard-packed dirt and gravel logging roads, and miles of HOV trails. Recently I rode my TW, on a 120 mile loop, to and from my home and in Capitol State Forest. I have attached a photo of my TW on this ride.

DaveF 2009 TW200.jpg

My “stock” TW has been operating perfectly which makes it a lot of fun for me. I am trying to keep any added weight to the TW to a minimum, since I am 6 feet tall and weigh 225 pounds. So far I have added a tank bag, hand guards, an ultra light egg crate on a rear fender rack, two MSR fuel bottles which are attached to the rack with thumb screw metal straps, a Coleman seat protector and a battery cable to attach my GPS. When traveling I carry in my tank bag and egg crate, the Mountaineer’s 10 essential items for backcountry safety, rain gear and GPS. On my list of to do’s is: install wider foot pegs, install a Cyclerack and Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr., and install TCI skid plate and engine guards. In the future I plan to ride the roads in Cascade Mountains to determine if I need to make modifications to the TW when riding in higher elevations. I am also monitoring my travels to determine road vs. trail riding time and appropriate tire choices.
    Last edited by DaveF; 09-29-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Dubzha, r80rt and MCC1776 like this.

Nice looking TW and great pic! Sounds like a perfect place to explore with your new ride.

Hi Dave,
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you made a perfect choice when you bought a TW. You are lucky to have all that country to roam. Sounds like you are traveling with wisdom and preparedness. Your future plans for upgrades are great too, you have done your research well.

Perfect little bike's for us old geezers, huh? It gave me a whole new lease on life.
    Last edited by littletommy; 09-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It is a perfect motorcycle for me. It is very agile and easy to maneuver versus a heavier motorcycle.
    r80rt likes this.

The dub brings three things into your life........................................ A big smile, an even bigger smile, and the ultimate smile after your first adventure................... (o;. Go out and discover the world on two wheels... Gotta luv it.. OMM.

hi,
    welcome to the forum and to your new bike, good choice. i was up in washington this summer, a beautiful state! i look forward to your forthcoming ride reports.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Lovely area to ride in. Welcome.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links