SW Utah
Close

Thread: SW Utah

SW Utah

I know there are a few SW Utards that know the roads and trails well. I am looking for some possible day trips from St George to Cedar City. I thought about riding up there in the next week if I get my carb cleaned in time.

Post #7 of my thread about riding in Southwest Utah outlines a ride up over Kolob and into Cedar City (Maury Graham Monument). It even has Google Earth and GPS tracks. That would be a nice ride about now, with the leaves changing. Benchmark makes a great map for Utah, with lots of trails to explore. The St. George BLM office has also been quite generous with maps.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    Post #7 of my thread about riding in Southwest Utah outlines a ride up over Kolob and into Cedar City (Maury Graham Monument). It even has Google Earth and GPS tracks. That would be a nice ride about now, with the leaves changing. Benchmark makes a great map for Utah, with lots of trails to explore. The St. George BLM office has also been quite generous with maps.
    'O man! The link to your thread tells me I desperately need to get back up in that country. I spent a month on a couple of occasions out East of St. George and one month on the way to Torroweep and a month not far from SB Point.

Everyone raves about SE Utah and it is very good. I've ridden a lot of trails there from the San Rafael Swell (including 5MOH) on down to Monticello. Seen the confluence of Green River and the Colorado River. But SW Utah is way way under rated as far as the attention it gets. SW Utah is great.

Here is an album of pics I used to have on a website from a trip I made in around '04-'05. Somewhere around then.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...23328660662641
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trailscout View Post
    'O man! The link to your thread tells me I desperately need to get back up in that country. I spent a month on a couple of occasions out East of St. George and one month on the way to Torroweep and a month not far from SB Point.

Everyone raves about SE Utah and it is very good. I've ridden a lot of trails there from the San Rafael Swell (including 5MOH) on down to Monticello. Seen the confluence of Green River and the Colorado River. But SW Utah is way way under rated as far as the attention it gets. SW Utah is great.

Here is an album of pics I used to have on a website from a trip I made in around '04-'05. Somewhere around then.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...23328660662641
    Yes, there's some nice places to ride in the area. Beautiful pics, some of places I haven't been to yet. Thanks for sharing.

Fishbyte, another nice ride to Cedar City would be west through Santa Clara then north through Gunlock to Veyo. From Veyo up the road to Central. East from Central and north through Pinto. You'd have to plot the route using your map or GPS software.

In case you're unaware, there's a TW rider in St. George who maintains a thread on advrider.com. He's documented a ton of rides from the St. George area. You should check it out.

A TW rider on ADV? Even more evidence that the TW may be an ADV bike!

And thanks for the links. I have both web pages saved in a folder.
    Last edited by trailscout; 10-02-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Thanks B-Dub! It sounds like route thru Enterprise and Pinto may be the way To go. Do you know of any dirt roads up thru Leeds and New Harmony? BTW, my grandfather was born and raised in Pinto. I also liked your RR from Duck Creek/Navajo Lake down North Fork Rd and thru Zion. I was probably at my family cabin watching you drive by Navajo Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by FishByte View Post
    Thanks B-Dub! It sounds like route thru Enterprise and Pinto may be the way To go. Do you know of any dirt roads up thru Leeds and New Harmony? BTW, my grandfather was born and raised in Pinto. I also liked your RR from Duck Creek/Navajo Lake down North Fork Rd and thru Zion. I was probably at my family cabin watching you drive by Navajo Lake.
    The RR from Duck Creek must be RedRockRider's, as I've yet to make that ride on the TW.

To my knowledge there are no dirt roads that go all the way from Leeds to New Harmony via the Black Ridge. You could take the Old Dump Road north from St. George, outlined on my recent ride report here. That would drop you into Silver Reed/Leeds. From there you can take frontage roads and back roads to Pintura. From Pintura you would have to ride I-15 north to the top of the Black Ridge. At the top of the Black Ridge you can get off I-15 and ride old Highway 91 north to the Kolob Canyons exit where you have to jump back on I-15 for about a mile to the New Harmony exit. From there you can ride back roads up through Kanarraville and into Cedar City.

If you go around the west end of Pine Valley Mountain you can also drop into New Harmony from the Pinto area, then north through Kanarraville and into Cedar City.

Something to think about. When you go take some pictures for us!
    Last edited by B-dub; 10-03-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trailscout View Post
    A TW rider on ADV? Even more evidence that the TW may be an ADV bike!

And thanks for the links. I have both web pages saved in a folder.
    You're welcome. I think there's no question that your TW is an adventure bike! I enjoyed the video you posted the other day, pretty awesome.

Sponosred Links