Government Shutdown - Don't Get Mad, Go for a Ride!!
Close

Like Tree11Likes
  • 9 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By MCC1776
  • 1 Post By admiral

Thread: Government Shutdown - Don't Get Mad, Go for a Ride!!

Government Shutdown - Don't Get Mad, Go for a Ride!!

Government shutdown, so this is what retirement feels like!

Government shutdown day 1: Golf or go ride. I don't golf, so ride it is. Continued exploring some trails in the Silver City area. Road some of the trails in March of this year with my wife and Rocky.

I was pretty much by myself. Towards the end of the day, I did run into 4 ATV riders and saw other rigs at different trailheads, but nobody really to speak of on the trails

Neat formations. Would make good camping area. Not much traffic out here at night that's for sure

Me and Georgie found an old mine. Milled around a while (pun intended) looking for ancient artifacts. None found!

Cabin remains near the mill

Nice riding when you can find it. If you watch the video, that will be a good representation of the actual road/trail minus the most treacherous parts

With my back turned towards one of those treacherous parts, I see where by video camera (Pirate Cam) has landed in the rut. I didn't notice it was missing for
    about 1/4 mile and then backtracked. Glad I found it. First time I've ever lost it, but I will tether it from now on.

More remote not used in a long time cabins

Plush living quarters if you don't mind mold, mildew and general all around dampness!

New York Summit on Silver City road with War Eagle Mtn straight ahead. Silver City would be to the right. I needed to high tail it back home so I bypassed a visit to Silver City. I've been there many times anyway, so probably not missing anything. B-dub, notice I've gone back to the tank mount in the last few rides!

Closer look at New York Summit

lizrdbrth, elime, retmotor and 6 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Excellent video!

I was planning on going to Hollister today but felt lazy and changed my mind. After watching your video I am now PO'ed at myself for not getting my butt in gear and going!

Oh well, next week is Cow Mt. and if that falls through I will do something else. For sure!!!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Very nice.

They have more employees guarding the gates of the Lake Mead National Park than they had employees working it when they weren't shut down. Figure that out. They're also threatening to kick all the residents out by tomorrow.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks like a blast! Does you doggie ride on the back or run along with you? Long ago I had an awesome cocker spaniel who loved to go trail riding on the back of my old three wheeler.. Poor guy that fuel mix must have stunk back there haha

Great Advice!! nice trip report as well.

Glad you're not a golfer! That's some cool mining stuff you found. Glad you noticed your camera was missing before it was too late. My little video camera is laying somewhere out on the strip cause I didn't notice. Good thing it wasn't too expensive. I enjoyed the video! Is that amount of erosion on the trails typical, or has it been extra wet this year like it has been down here? Thanks for taking us along!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

I wish I could go for a ride. Uncle Sam told me I still have to come to work and I'll get paid when I get paid. But that personal letter from Obama was a nice touch.
    littletommy likes this.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

Ya know my wife and I have been planning a trip to the grand canyon leaving in 10 days........................ GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRR hiss... @-hole government. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I am now PO'ed at myself for not getting my butt in gear and going!
    I almost didn't go myself. Glad I did. Looking forward for the Cow Mtn ride reports from ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
    They have more employees guarding the gates of the Lake Mead National Park than they had employees working it when they weren't shut down.
    The gov'mt couldn't shut this place down as there is no way to block it off (too large), but they could have at some (some) of the staging area's. In the end it was just the toilets. Guess they won't have enough employee's to replace the toilet paper if the shutdown drags on

Quote Originally Posted by IzakGt View Post
    Looks like a blast! Does you doggie ride on the back or run along with you?
    She rides on the back. In tricky spots (steep rutted uphills) I'll have her run along side so she don't get hurt, but 99.9% of the time she's on back. She really pouts when I have to leave her at home too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Great Advice!! nice trip report as well.
    Hope you have a real good time with the Cow Mtn boy's! So cool you can go!

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    My little video camera is laying somewhere out on the strip cause I didn't notice. Is that amount of erosion on the trails typical, or has it been extra wet this year like it has been down here?
    I remembered and was thinking of your lost camera while I was looking for mine. Something about getting a gift from your wife would have made me feel guilty for losing it.

Erosion is a 2 part answer of sorts. The erosion you see on the trails is from years and years of water, but not so much from recent rains other than a couple spots in some creek drainage's. Still not much damage from the recent rains in those area's though. Week or so we had lots of rain and T-storms out here. Didn't mess up the trails much, but out here by Murphy, Idaho, the county road suffered lots of flash flooding damage. I could see where the water flowed over the roads in many area's, causing some road erosion damage at culverts. I could also see where road crews had to plow mud off the road in places as well. Glad I wasn't out here earlier last week!

Quote Originally Posted by MCC1776 View Post
    I wish I could go for a ride. Uncle Sam told me I still have to come to work and I'll get paid when I get paid. But that personal letter from Obama was a nice touch.
    Another price we works pay...and this was on top of the furlough days we had to take this summer. Good thing I have the TW to take my mind off things.

Quote Originally Posted by old mad max View Post
    Ya know my wife and I have been planning a trip to the grand canyon leaving in 10 days
    Hope it doesn't last long, Grand Canyon is such a cool place to see.
    retmotor likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That is awesome the dog rides on the back! You are lucky to have such a beautiful place to ride!

Sponosred Links