gps suggestions
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: gps suggestions

gps suggestions

I have been a cacher for a long time .I have a meridian that is 10 years old. Any suggestions for a new one to mount on a bike?

I use an eTrex Vista Hcx. I like it. It has the brightest back light of any I've seen. It is small and light weight. Has colors. Was rated as #1 by Dirt Bike mag a few years ago. Others prefer others.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

I have the same Garmin unit as trailscout and it fine for what I use a gps for. Downside to this unit for me is I have to build all my routes in advance on the computer and then load them into the unit. This is true for both off-road and on road. I should also mention I use a topo map and not a city navigator type map. I have not tried to load a city/road map into the unit, but I believe it may have the capability to auto route if this was loaded.

Another downside for me is the size of the screen. I think it's too small.

If I had the money I would get one of the larger screen models (Oregon, Montana). Some riders even use 2 gps's, one like the eTrex and another one like you would use in your car. I have one for the car, but have never tried using it for off-road trails and forest service roads.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

How much do you want to spend? Ive seen the oregon 450 for around $150 and if you want high dollar stuff look at the montana and the new monterra. I would get one that uses AA batteries and has a 12v plug so you can run it off the bikes power. Im using a smartphone for gps and i take maps. There are apps that you can preload maps on your phone so when your not in cell service you will still have your maps. Most phones have gps in them. Motion x for iphone is a good one. Dualsport maps for android "its down at the moment but is being fixed" there are other apps that work also. Go to advrider click on forums and check out all the gps info you could want.

Garmin 78!! BEST EVER!!

Not really, but I do enjoy it. I'm glad I went with physical buttons over the touchscreens that I was looking at. I've got mine hard-wired for both my bikes using the Garmin 4-pin connector, but take AA batteries just in case. They'll run for 12-15 hrs on a set of batteries which is nice.

I have owned in the past both the Garmin Rino 120 and the much better 530 HXi. Both worked great on my ATV and I loved the radio feature I think they called peer location. You call your buddy and your position shows up on his screen and he calls you back and his position appears on your screen. Makes find each other in deep woods much easier and works way better out on flat land or water.

Older now and I simply can't use any of these tiny hand held units on a moving machine because I can't see the screens unless looking through the bottom of my glasses.

Don't over look some of the marine chart plotter unit. If you can figure out a decent mount for a much larger unit then the issue of tiny screens might be solved. I have a Hummingbird 788 Ci fish finder/chart plotter and the screen is about 5" X 5". It can work in a car as just a GPS or on the boat as both and it will accept any maps you load in it, street or topo or lakes and rivers. The marine units are both water proof and made to be durable while crashing around through rough waves and nasty weather. Most of these gadgets work pretty much the same where features are concerned. You can track your route while under way or plot it on your computer and then turn around and follow it back to your start point. The units that accept both topo maps and street maps cost a bit more and you might have to buy the various maps for your area but they are sweet when you can drag them from car to bike to atv and to your boat. If they fit in your pocket chances are us old farts won't like them.

GaryL
    Mel likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

My first was an Etrex Legend H I bought off Craigslist. It took a while to figure out how to use it and I am still limited but the more I use it the better I am getting. I mounted it to the handlebar of the TW and so far it has withstood the vibration. It is black and white and easy to see in the bright sun. If you watch my videos you will see it.

I decided to upgrade and bought a new Oregon 450t. Big screen, touch screen, nice colors in a dark area but in bright sun the Etrex is easier to see. I had it about 3 months and it crapped out. I sent it back to Garmin and they sent me a used looking refurbished one. It works but does hiccup once in a while. I am not pleased with it but I am through arguing. I will grin and bear it.

I have 3 other Garmins I picked up really cheap off ebay and they work OK. Go figure. Buy a brand new one and have troubles and buy 3 older ones for a song and they work fine. I really wish I hadn't bought the Oregon 450t.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

If money was no issue, LOL, I'd get one with a really large screen and the capability of taking pictures and logging the waypoint of the picture on the track automatically. But, sigh, money IS an issue.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Montana if you can afford it! Fantastic screen...I can actually read it at speed in rough terrain.

Steep learning curve though for those coming from older units. Worth the education process, IMO. I would never go back.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

My old Motorola Droid X with Otterbox case and Ram Mount works great. I rooted the phone, removed all unneeded software, installed offline mapping software as well as a few other survival/expedition essentials, and hardwired a charging cable to the battery. Its rugged, I can take pics/video, use it as a flashlight, and even watch movies on it if camping. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Minicogs and Dubzha like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links