Colorado - Summer '14
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Colorado - Summer '14

Colorado - Summer '14

Just a heads up to anyone on here, I'll be making a ride out to Colorado this summer and spending a week out there. I'll be taking the Versys, but it'll be 50/50 street/dirt so the TW's could definitely keep up if anyone wanted to join in for all or part of it.

I've started planning the route, and it's looking like I'll cover a good part of southern CO west of I-25. I'm combining parts of the CO Backcountry Discovery route and using Butler maps for some good pavement riding. POI's include Pikes Peak, Cottonwood Pass, Black Canyon, Ophir Pass, Black Bear Pass, and possibly up to Mt Evans.

I'm going to be riding out from NW Arkansas, and will be tent camping the entire time. Just wanted to put an invite for any locals or someone who wanted to ride/trailer to CO for some fun riding.

Here's a link to the COBDR. If you look at the map, I'll be riding that route from point 10 to point 3, the rest of the trip are places that look interesting to me. Should be a good time, let me know if you're interested and I'll get dates posted later. As it stands right now I'm looking at the last full week in June.

Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR)
    Last edited by mattmus4357; 12-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    r80rt likes this.

Nice link Mattmus4357
    I see that Backcountry Discovery Routes has links on your page for other states. So people in..
    AZ, CA, CO, ID, MT, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY, just might want to take a look for some great riding in their state.

Are set on the last week in June? I am planning to take an "Adventure" around that time, but since I'm getting hitched July 5th that might be cutting it close.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BoydBean View Post
    Are set on the last week in June? I am planning to take an "Adventure" around that time, but since I'm getting hitched July 5th that might be cutting it close.
    Nothing's set in stone yet. I'm still waiting to figure out when our summer events are at work. When I know the dates for those I'll set something in stone and post it on here.

Alright the trip is set in stone. I'll be leaving June 27th and plan on rolling back in to NWA on July 6th. If anyone is in Colorado that week feel free to hit me up! The route will be as described above, and I'm open to suggestions as far as places to see in the areas I'll be visiting!

If your riding a versys you might want to rethink "dont do it" black bear pass. Ophir would be very doable on the versys. 550 between Silverton and Ouraya is one of the best roads in that area. We hit "black canyon 92" off of 50 just west of Gunnison and did a big loop coming back down into Crested Butte on Kiebel pass or kiebler pass I forget how its pronounced but that was a very good gravel/pavement ride and would be cake on a versys.
    Wb0hbj likes this.

Yeah, I think I've almost ruled out Black Bear pass. I think I may do Imogene pass instead and come out in Ouray. I'm planning on shoot up to Ridgway from there to spend the night at at the Ridgway Reservoir. I'll look in to the other routes. Thanks!

Imogene will be tough on any road bike. I have heard of a guy doing it on a vstrom before. If your not afraid to drop it a time or two then go for it. If your not a really good rider it may bite you on a big bike. Mag wheels suck for that kinda terrain. Imogene was probably my favorite pass out there. If I can ever get around to a computer I need to post the videos of the tw going up it. We sat at this water crossing for probably an hour before I had to be the guenniepig and hit it. One small spot would take most of a 4x4 tire this was my favorite crossing. A creek. Was coming down the hill and flooded the trail.
    here is a link to my ride report from the area.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F0KKBNEJ5ts
    here is a link to our colorado trip https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...rado-trip.html
    my trip was inspired by these guys ride report with dozens of awesome pics. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612677
    Last edited by small's; 03-13-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Comments on Black Bear pass got my interest. I found this video (there are lots).

Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by small's View Post
    Imogene will be tough on any road bike. I have heard of a guy doing it on a vstrom before. If your not afraid to drop it a time or two then go for it. If your not a really good rider it may bite you on a big bike. Mag wheels suck for that kinda terrain. Imogene was probably my favorite pass out there.
    Won't be the V's first time off road, it's meant to be ridden not babied. If I do end up dropping it a few times it'll just give me a reason to have it repainted. I've been wanting to paint the front fender and fairings black and leave the rest red so this could give me a reason

I won't say I'm a "really good rider" but I'm pretty confident in my skills. I've had the V on some pretty rough "roads" and single track here in NWA, even taken it over a few smaller jumps. I'll just roll with it, if I have to turn around for some reason I will.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links