Russ Rally Northwest - Elk City Idaho
Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Russ Rally Northwest - Elk City Idaho

Russ Rally Northwest - Elk City Idaho

I'll take the lead on this and hope I'm not offending anyone by doing so. Going with Tinman Tim's suggested location, Elk City, Idaho not to be confused with Elk River, Idaho, which is further north. I'll use this as my main page for general information and keep it updated during the planning process.

I'm also gonna make this ATV/UTV friendly, so my wife can come along. Keep that in mind if you have a non-motorcyclist who'd like to come too.

Updated: 23 July 2014

1. Who is coming? And... a. for sure b. maybe c. alone or with someone else i.e. wife?

2. Of all who are coming, is anyone bringing an ATV/UTV?

My wife is coming, and rides an ATV. If no one else is riding an ATV/UTV, then we may not bring it. Reason, possible alternate ride while the TW folks are out riding.

Russ Rally Northwest

Elk City, Idaho

Date: 25-28 July. Planning on arriving 25th, ride 26-27th, and depart 28th.

I am arriving late on the 23th, Wednesday (corrected) night (11:00 P.M. ish). Wife and I have to depart on Sunday, but we will ride in the morning. We plan to leave around 2:00 P.M. Sunday.

Elk City area general information (Gas/food/Lodging etc): This is a self-sufficient rally. Bring your own camp stuff (TW, ATV/UTV, gas, food, tent/camper etc...

We might do a potluck dinner on one night, but for the most part we are on our own for our own meals.

Alternate accomodations:

If you can't, or don't want to camp here, Elk City Hotel and Sleepy Hollow RV park is in Elk City.

Elk City Idaho Lodging at Elk City Hotel surrounded by Nez Perce National Forest

http://www.visitidaho.org/lodging/rv-parkcampground/sleepy-hollow-rv-park/

Elk City Resturants: If you don't like camp food!

Elk Creek Station and Cafe. (Only place for gas/diesel in town). We did not eat at this cafe. Small convience store items available

Elk City Saloon and Cafe. B/L/D. Ate dinner here. Good food. Need to get use to smoky bar room atmosphere. Friendly folks if you are nice. We were and made friends.

Cafe next to Elk City Hotel (can't remember name). B/L/D. Ate breakfast. Good food. Friendly folks if you are nice. We were and made friends.

Directions to Elk City/Maps:

Directions to Camp. (note: Elk City is approximately 5 miles past the road to camp, just so you know).

Boise: Go N. on Hwy 55 @ Jct 44/55 to Jct 55/95 New Meadows. N on Hwy 95 to Right @ Grangeville Main St; 190 miles. At east edge of town, turn right on Mount Idaho Road to Jct Mt Id Rd/Hwy 14. Stay E. on Hwy 14 towards Elk City to turn right on NF 233/Crooked River Rd; 47 miles. Camp #4 is about 2 miles from turn off.

Ontario, Or/Fruitland, Id: N. on Hwy 95 to Jct 55/95 @ New Meadows, Id. N on Hwy 95 to Right @ Grangeville Main St; 220 miles. At east edge of town, turn right on Mount Idaho Road to Jct Mt Id Rd/Hwy 14. Stay E. on Hwy 14 towards Elk City to turn right on NF 233/Crooked River Rd; 47 miles. Camp #4 is about 2 miles from turn off.

Lewiston: Go E on Hwy 12/95, then S on 95 to Grangeville; Left @ Grangeville Main St; 71 miles. At east edge of town, turn right on Mount Idaho Road to Jct Mt Id Rd/Hwy 14. Stay E. on Hwy 14 towards Elk City to turn right on NF 233/Crooked River Rd; 47 miles. Camp #4 is about 2 miles from turn off.

Kooskia: Go S. on Hwy 13 to Jct 13/14. Stay E. on Hwy 14 towards Elk City to turn right on NF 233/Crooked River Rd; 60 miles. Camp #4 is about 2 miles from turn off.

Camp Location: 45 47.676N 115 31.916WCrooked River #4 Campground. Approximately 2 miles south off Hwy 14 on NF 233. Turn off is about 5 mile before Elk City. If needed, overflow camping is available @ #3 Campground, which is essentially across the road.

Both sites are primitive scattered campsites (no hookups, water/elec/sewer). 1 Forest Service Toilet. Smelled nice on my visit!

Plenty space for tents. #4 is along Crooked River (nice).

See post #44 for additional information and photo's

Who's In:

Admiral & Wife (2)
    BillPacific (2)
    Bodi/Fam (3)
    Ron (1)

Maybe's

BkCntryCrwlr
    odd
    Fishguy
    Drifter (sold his TW so not sure)

Out
    CALIMUSJOHN (2) Dumb Fire! Hope things are working out.
    Last edited by admiral; 07-23-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Attendance update
    Dubzha, r80rt, tinman tim and 5 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I'm gonna take my camper up yonder, so I'll start looking for a group campground area near Elk City. We don't have to be right in town. There is some lodging in town, but I'll have to check availability. Gas, grocery, & food are available in town. It's small here so don't expect big city amenities. Grangeville is the next largest town and is a little over 50 miles by paved highway.
    catrax likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

According to my mapping software it's only 989 miles from Kingman, Arizona to Elk City Idaho......count me in.......I too have a little camper, and will bring momma and the dogs. We might need some sort of camp security so the Yorkies will likely come in handy if we are in bear country.......alarm and bait all at the same time.

Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I will be there, if I can. Elk City is a fun ride from the Montana side. Go to Darby and ask.

I am only a couple of hours away from Elk City, I bow hunt up there every year, lots of riding in the area.
    If the right date is available I will go.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

Count me in if the dates work. I was planning on doing the Magrutor Road in the FJ this year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by long distance rider View Post
    According to my mapping software it's only 989 miles from Kingman, Arizona to Elk City Idaho......count me in

Mike
    Gotta love that mapping software. Ya'll have a pretty good scenic adventure just driving to Elk City. I'll count you in.

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    I will be there, if I can. Elk City is a fun ride from the Montana side. Go to Darby and ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
    Count me in if the dates work. I was planning on doing the Magrutor Road in the FJ this year anyway.
    I've done the Magruder Corridor Road. I'd put this on the list to ride on the E.City RR, but we'd need a month of vacation time

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I am only a couple of hours away from Elk City, I bow hunt up there every year, lots of riding in the area.
    If the right date is available I will go.
    Hope you can make it. Suggested riding area's are welcome. hint hint. Without doing my homework, I was thinking the Elk City Stage Road, or a ride to Dixie/Mackay Bar, or even head in the O'Hara/Falls Point direction possibly. To many places to ride is such a short time.

That sounds like a great adventure. I will make every effort to be there.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links