Crumby GoPro pics of my quest
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Crumby GoPro pics of my quest

Crumby GoPro pics of my quest

Here in Tucson there's a very popular DS route that goes up and over Redington pass then loops back around North over the summit (or near thereto) of Mt. Lemmon at around 9,000', which is all well and good in the summertime, but the backside service rd is often closed due to weather conditions up top in the wintertime.

I've had this idea that there must be a passable route to the South of the Rincons other than the I-10 or more Southerly state highways, perhaps even a dirt route. Yesterday I began my quest to find this route, with my GoPro running on 5 second time-lapse.

This thing on?

Hmm, maybe follow the phonelines?

Not too many "Stay on Road" signs needed through here!

Nice little area to ride, but no routes East. Time to double back and try again farther down the frontage road.

Maybe try the Red Hill Ranch RR X-ing?

Bingo!

This dirt road follows the RR right of way...

…but not always the grade! Looks like something with bigger tires than a TW has been rolling back here.

I followed this road for a few miles or so, but at the rate I was going I had gotten started too late and made too many wrong turns finding my route to see how far this road would take me. Google Earth makes it seem clear, but I've gotten different answers from other local riders. If there is a dead end to that road I mean to find it myself one of these days!

While riding home, I thought I'd take a minute to document a little bit of the engineering that made it possible for softies like me to head West!

Cienega Bridge...

…and it's adjacent Railroad counterpart.

Then it was time to point the fender towards home.

With about 100 more miles and a little more firsthand knowledge under my belt at the end of the day, I feel pretty confident that my next foray to find this route will be more successful. I honestly wasn't prepared to complete the loop this new leg would create when I set out, so I turned back rather than tempt fate. With a few less hours of poking around and some determination though, I think it shows promise.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Looks like fun, thanks for sharing!

Isn't exploring fun!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I enjoyed the photo's very much. Thanks for sharing them.

Those aren't crummy pics! Riding those roads and trails would be a awesome this time of year for us northerners. Thanks for taking us along on your quest.

Exploring back roads is the wonder of owning a TW200! We enjoy seeing and reading abouy your trip.

all I can say is, Come on summer!
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

I really miss that country. And to think I spent my 15 months out there on a R6 carving canyons. Don't get me wrong, my 01 Wrangler and I had a blast, but if I had my TW back then... Oh what could have been. Thanks for the pics. My favorite memory of Tucson was hiking all the up and back down Rincon in a day. Painful but a blast.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

Hey I've ridden the trails on Reddington. Camped over near San Manuel for about a month. There's some good stuff over there too. A friend of mine just got back from a 3 day DS ride on his DR650 from somewhere near Florence down through there and where ever. He said it was 90% dirt and 10% where he wished he had his 450. He lives in Phoenix. I'll see if I can get more infor from him. Part of it might be stuff you'd be interested in.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by trailscout View Post
    Hey I've ridden the trails on Reddington. Camped over near San Manuel for about a month. There's some good stuff over there too. A friend of mine just got back from a 3 day DS ride on his DR650 from somewhere near Florence down through there and where ever. He said it was 90% dirt and 10% where he wished he had his 450. He lives in Phoenix. I'll see if I can get more infor from him. Part of it might be stuff you'd be interested in.
    I've ridden a little (very little) over towards San Manuel. I know there's a ton of open country out in that direction, I just need to get my act together and make a few expeditions a little farther afield. I'd love to hear some recommendations, although I'm no trail breaker like you are!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links