Baja Mexico Adventure trips
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Baja Mexico Adventure trips

Baja Mexico wanderings

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting this thread!! I hope this works as a way to organize and post the various trips I'm doing in Baja with my T-dub, Orbit. It can work like a little mini blog, and I'll just add to it as trips accumulate. Time sequence may not be chronological. A previous trip is here: https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...loop-ride.html

Without further intro, lets get rolling!

Trip 1, Ligui Canyon
    Ligui Canyon is about 25 miles south of Loreto, and is relatively unknown. The exit off Mex Hwy 1 is the same as a huge time share resort, but instead of going East to the Sea of Cortez, you turn West, go under the highway bridge, and head up a dry river bed. I found a couple of touring motorcyclists on loaded dual sport bikes stopped under the bridge. They were wondering if they should go up the canyon to find a place to camp. We decided to go up together.

In sharp contrast to the wide gravel road to the resort, within 10 feet of the turn to go under the bridge you are on very rough, unprepared riverbed. It's nature's mix of sand, gravel of every size and shape on up to rocks of any size. There were some packed tire tracks leading up the river so at first it was pretty firm going. The packed part of the tire tracks only went about 3/4 of a mile- to someone's house! Oh, tracks continued up the riverbed alright but immediately became quite soft. Orbits big tires squirmed around a little bit but there was no hesitation about continuing. My pals on the dual sport bikes had different luck. The gal immediately caught the front tire in a patch of soft sand. She did great, managed to keep the bike upright; we were going pretty slowly. We rode around a couple of bends in the canyon and I noticed that the tire tracks petered out considerably. The 4x4's were turning around or stopping and getting out and walking. Orbit also reacted: the packing effect of the tire tracks was gone, and this dry river bed mix was soft as mush. I looked back exactly in time to see the other rider catch his front tire and go down. No one was going fast. In the midst of this riverbed (pretty much without thinking about it) I simply turned Orbit around and went back to help! Oh it was soft, but I never questioned whether or not I'd make it.

No damage done to either rider, bike nor gear, so we decided to try to continue. Came to a little ridge in the river bed, maybe 3-4 feet high, deep soft sand at the bottom and well up the steep slope, no traction aiding gravel for at least 5 feet on top, just small soft pea gravel at least a foot deep. I came towards the bottom and seriously wondered if Orbit would make it. Huh! The Duro dug, the engine lugged a little and we were up, almost effortless. It was out of the question for the dual sport bikes. One came boldly into the sand but buried the rear wheel up to the chain with no forward movement. You had to put something big down for your kickstand to rest on. The three of us took 20 minutes to get the bike out of the sand. I turned around again and accompanied them back to the packed tire tracks. Then retraced the route clear up the river bed. The last stretch was a boulder field; Orbit left the only tire tracks through them.

The reward for the effort was a beautiful, pristine sandstone canyon with fresh water flowing over sculpted multicolored rock. The first section required swimming up the pools, then clambering around a little waterfall. I hiked as long as daylight permitted, then returned. The ride out was equally uneventful. TW rocks!!

Last edited by Vagabond; 01-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Mel, dette, maddawgj and 5 others like this.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar
    Great pics and ride report...looking forward to reading more about it.
    Sledhead likes this.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

Wow!!! Very nice, thanks for sharing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sad you are alone......wish I could be there!!!

Ronnydog

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Wow, nice ride! Way to take the road less traveled I'd love to do that trip.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Trip 2, Bahia Agua Verde & a hotsprings

Trip 2 was an overnight. I have a long love of hot springs (who doesn't) and have traveled great distances to just see one that was too hot to get into! I had sailed into Bahia Agua Verde and stayed there, a beautiful turquoise bay with long sand beaches and a tiny community in the broad flat area at the head of the bay.

But there were only rumors of a hot springs in the vicinity. People had searched and looked; the rumor persisted. It seemed that it was right in the tide line, covered at high tide. But the area where it might be is tight, maybe open to the occasionally strong northerly winds that sweep down the Sea of Cortez during winter months. The closest known safe anchorage involved leaving the boat around an island, out of view and a mile away, and dinghying over. Too risky.

A TW scouting trip is in order! Several miles south on good ol Mex 1, through some fantastic 2 lane twisties!

The road to Agua Verde is famous in Baja. Famously rough. It also has a long twisting cliff hanging descent back down to sea level off of an inland plateau. In good Mexico fashion, they are paving the top part of the road. It's almost finished, and no work was being done when I rode it, but traffic is not allowed to use it!! Instead we are required to use a very rough detour. There was a little bit of fun because water flowed across the detour, fairly deep in some places.

Then came the long descent back to sea level

People take moderate sized RV's down this road, so for the TW it was just another beautiful day in the desert. Some of the corners are extremely tight with a cliff on one side and a drop off on the other. I wouldn't want to tow much of a trailer through it. This little section had to be paved; it probably washed out frequently in years past.

Finally back down at sea level, the first thing I hit was the cluster of adobe homes that comprise Bahia San Cosme. I turned, and drove right through this little community, everyone waving (all 2 of them), very friendly. I had sort of figured out that I needed to hit the beach and start looking. The "road" turned into a tidal path, once again in deep loose stones and sand, also leading down onto a bedrock flat. Most of the track was on a side hill, 4x4 only for automobiles, very soft. This flat section wasn't too bad, but it was covered with green sea moss, very slick to even walk on.

admiral, dette, maddawgj and 2 others like this.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

Trip 2 cont'd

Well, at least I had found some sort of track! I had timed the trip for low tide- I don't like getting the bike wet with salt water any more than I must. One of the engines I had disassembled for parts for the 230 had clearly been exposed to something corrosive. Maybe it was only road salt, maybe something else, but it had more of the white aluminum death than I wanted to see. Another reason for low tide: I had become convinced the hot spring pool was only visible at low tides. It was late afternoon when I came over a little point of land and found another, much smaller bay, beautiful. There were 5 people all camping out of pickup truck & 4x4 van campers. The tracks went inland from there, but I had found the springs. Those aren't normal tide pools- they're hot!!

Nuttin like a hot soak after a long day on the bike!

The beach was kinda rocky for camping so I found this nice spot.

The next morning was high tide and everyone had to wait if they wanted to leave. The little dirt track continued on, quickly turning into a foot path up a little dry wash, with some nice steep rock climbs. It was said to lead to an unfriendly ejido land owner, so I stayed on it till I found his fence and turned around. By the time I got back the tide had receded a bit and I decided to take my chances. The route out was uneventful. At the main road I turned south and rode in to Agua Verde, a distance of perhaps another 10 - 15 miles each way. A friend and bicyclist was there with his little 4x4 camper, great to see him.

The distance wasn't super long, probably a RT of 120 miles give or take. But sure was fun. Wish ya'all were here!!

Roy
    admiral, B-dub, dette and 3 others like this.

All I can say is, WOW!!!!

What an experience; you are doing a fabulous job of documenting your trip.

I'm jealous and I didn't even think I wanted to do a trip like that but you are seeing some spectacular sights. Maybe I do want to go to Mexico

Very very nice Vagabond!! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more ride reports!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

i used to love baja, but haven't been there in years. when all the SHTF it seem like too much adventure, glad to see it has calmed down and is as beautiful as ever.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links