Hollister Challenge Loop
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hollister Challenge Loop

Hollister Challenge Loop

I have been working up to this for a while -- The Challenge Loop. It consists of 10 black diamond trails about 13 miles long and one is supposed to do in about an hour. It took me an hour and 28 minutes but I did make a few stops along the way, both scheduled and unscheduled. This was also the first time I have met another rider on the trail in a very long time and I pulled over to let him pass. According to my GPS the Challenge is 12.8 miles long. My moving average was just under 10 mph. All told, I had a great time and a really good work out. I look forward to doing it again -- hopefully in a little less time.

Red lines are the trails I took. The black line is just showing which trails I took, kind of an overview.

And the obligatory video. This was taken towards the end of the ride. The first 85% of the ride can be seen in other videos I have posted. In reality they all look about the same.

<span class="watch-page-link"><a target="_blank" href="http://youtu.be/nmpQGXVZxDk">

Last edited by elime; 01-30-2014 at 10:27 PM.
    r80rt, admiral, MTLHead and 2 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

tony,
    as usual, always jealous of your ability to ride mid week. congrats on getting your personal best time down, i have no doubt you'll break an hour.

thanks for posting

joe
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

That looks fun.
    Last edited by joedirt1970; 01-31-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I love those video's Tony!

Thanks.

And look at the weather!! A beautiful day for a ride!!

*unlike *@^&*(*^% Washington State right now.
    Last edited by littletommy; 01-30-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    Dubzha and plumbstraight like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Hey Tony,

We've done the three Sheetiron/Cow Mountain rides together. How does the difficulty of these black diamond trails compare to those rides? It is kind of hard to tell the level of difficulty from the videos.

Brian

Joe, if you need a mid week day off, I have an idea!! You can SEE if it will work for you as well as it does for me. Tony, that was another great goggle cam video. Thanks.

Joemama

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt1970 View Post
    That looks fun. Is is race or just a fun loop?
    It is just a fun loop. The only racing is against the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Hey Tony,

We've done the three Sheetiron/Cow Mountain rides together. How does the difficulty of these black diamond trails compare to those rides? It is kind of hard to tell the level of difficulty from the videos.

Brian
    Brian, The black diamonds are more difficult. The ground can vary from asphalt like dry adobe to baby powder soft several inches deep. It can be smooth as glass or a zillion little waves. And sometimes you're riding along and all of a sudden there is a huge hole in the trail. And then sometimes there are rocks. The margin for error is small especially along trails with big drop offs on one side. All that being said, I think they are fun.

I have to add the "Renz Property" is just a small part of the park. The majority of the park has "blue square" trails which are wider, smoother and easier but still difficult enough to make you sweat. I rode all the blue trails, many of the several times, before I tried a black one. Tony

Ok, Tony I feel a mid week cold coming on Let me know the next time you are planning on going out there to attempt. I'd love to trailer my TW down and ride it with you.
    Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Nice to see dust. I had forgotten what it looked like.
    Before your TW decided to take a rest break, I saw the trail with the poofy dust and was saying "watch out for that stuff". Well, you almost made it through it! Looks like a fun place to ride!
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    i have no doubt you'll break an hour.
    I was thinking rather than try to go faster maybe extend loop -- start a second tour -- do eleven trails, the twelve, etc. Build stamina and endurance and let speed take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    Tony, that was another great goggle cam video. Thanks.
    Joemama
    Thanks Joe for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Ok, Tony I feel a mid week cold coming on Let me know the next time you are planning on going out there to attempt. I'd love to trailer my TW down and ride it with you.
    Josh
    That sounds like fun! I would like to skip a week but the week of Tuesday, 2-11, through Thursday, 2-13 would be the soonest. Any Tues. through Thur. after that would be OK too, weather permitting and NOT ON A SCHOOL HOLIDAY. I went once on spring break and will never do that again. Since you are the one playing hooky you pick. Anybody else interested?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Before your TW decided to take a rest break, I saw the trail with the poofy dust and was saying "watch out for that stuff". Well, you almost made it through it!
    That stretch wasn't a particularly bad one. It was towards the end of my ride and I was tired. If I had been standing on the pegs I think I would have been OK but I figured I could do it sitting and save my strength for when I really needed it. Of course I was wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links