riding the rails
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: riding the rails

riding the rails

We've all had our TW200's down abandoned railroad right-of-ways over the years. You ever stop to think of the ghosts that are still out there? Turn up the volume and enjoy!

Had to add one more...Last Train Home
    Last edited by longroof; 02-07-2014 at 08:29 PM.

The sound of a steam engine sure beats that of a diesel. Loved it when they had to relieve boiler pressure by blowing off one of the two reliefs. Here in a small town one of the gas stations had an old air horn off a steam donkey. He had it hooked up to his aircompressor to toot when he wanted his kids to come in.

Snowed in and watching Fried Green Tomatos got you to thinking huh?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

my father worked on the railway for a few years .the rail line was about 200 yds. behind our house. one day he called from the station and told us to go down to the tracks to see the last steam engine go on her final run . the next day the deisel electric came thru .it just wasn't the same thrill as that big smoke belching monster of old.now the rails are gone and a trail system is in place now instead.

In Canada, Canadian Pacific Railway has kept one steamer in operating condition. About eight years ago my brother and I were headed south east into the USA on a Sunday afternoon. As we moved along the highway we became aware that there were crowds of people out with kids and lawn chairs waiting along the track for 50 or 60 miles. It turned out that the Steamer was coming through from Winnipeg en route to Vancouver and everyone was excited to see this special train passing by. Nothing attracts spectators more than an old and beautifully restored train!
    Canadian Pacific - CP 2816 Empress

I'm sure a few of you have taken the steam locomotive train ride from Durango, Colorado to Sliverton. If not, and you're in that part of the country you should do it. It's a beautiful trip and the old locomotive adds a lot to it.

We have some old engine shows here and one of the best is in Buckley, a little four corners town in NW Michigan. When you crest the hill west of town going towards the show grounds, the air is heavy with coal smoke. They have all sorts of old engines, many of which are steam powered, using both coal and wood. They also have a restored locomotive that pulls people around the 200 acre site for free. I try to go every year. Here's some pics....a couple of the train and one of a farm tractor.

Buckley locomotive.jpg
    Buckley train.jpg
    Buckley tractor.jpg

They also have hit and miss engines running all sorts of devices. They're the ones that only fire every four or five revolutions, thus one of my other screen names...puttpow.

Just think....in the future people will be looking at a TW in wonder at the ancient technology that ran on something called gasoline mixed with air in a thing called a carburetor.

Near our town in Mich. they had an old steamer that traveled 37miles from point A / B going within 100 yards of our house..... It's now part of snowmobile trail system.....It quit running 40+ years ago.
    . My Wife has fond memories of the train crew waving and blowing the whistle as they rushed by at 25mph. I was told that the local boys AKA her brother laid pennies on the track and recovered a much larger and thinner one after the train pasted (o; OMM.

Hey tirebiter... watching RFD TV and they had an episode covering Buckley and the locomotive. Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by longroof View Post
    Hey tirebiter... watching RFD TV and they had an episode covering Buckley and the locomotive. Impressive!
    It's quite an experience, for sure..... really takes you back in time. I see that Michigan Magazine might have had a short segment on the show. We don't get RFD channel.

Those old steamers leave some nasty soot blowing around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links