Eastern Sierra Destinations
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Eastern Sierra Destinations

Eastern Sierra Destinations

Just a few ideas for anyone traveling Hwy 395. Alabama Hills is good base camp for exploring Mt.Whitney, Death Valley,Bristlecones .Freds new2013 060.jpg Fred's 2013 photos 150.jpg.Fred's 2013 photos 154.jpg CIMG0233.JPGP1020039.JPGI have only been these places car camping with furry friends but thought great for TW destination as in heart of great riding areas.

Just outside Lone Pine off of Whitney Portal Road the Alabama hills have scenic primative camping with miles of trails through hoo-doo rock formations. Food , gas, lodging in Lone Pine. Good blacktop and dirt rides nearby. Just thought I would share a few pics in case you wonder "Why would I want to go there?"
    Last edited by Fred; 02-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.

That pic of Mt. Whitney brings back some memories from long ago. I climbed it twice, the second time my knees hurt so bad I was afraid I might have to be hilocoptered down. That was the end of my mountain climbing days...

Nice pics Fred!
    Jmelarchy and Hoot Gibson like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Good story. I've just been searching old posts and it looks like alot of you have had TW adventures in area that I still dream about. I'll travel with wife andpets and look around thinking "how come I don't have my TW?". New reciever hitch bike carrier may change that. 'till then I'll just enjoy all of your postings of various adventures.
    Mel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    I have ridden many places in the 395 corridor. The opportunities are unlimited, scenery unbelievable, Alabama Hills are great, some gorgeous lakes, etc.
    Mel
    Fred likes this.

Ridden in that area a lot including Armstrong Canyon, Swansea-Cerro Gordo and Mazrouka (sp) Peak-Papoose Flats. Great scenery.
    Josh
    Fred likes this.
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

[QUOTE][That pic of Mt. Whitney brings back some memories from long ago. I climbed it twice, the second time my knees hurt so bad I was afraid I might have to be hilocoptered down. That was the end of my mountain climbing days.../QUOTE]

That's awesome! I climbed Whitney this past summer. It was amazing! Going to do Shasta this summer.photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPG
    Fred likes this.

Yeah, it was pretty cool and many many years ago. I actually saved the life of a girl whom I later married. We were off the beaten path and two climbers who were above us dislodged a boulder which came thundering down the mountain. I heard the folks above us screaming and could feel the earth shaking as it came towards us. The gal was standing frozen in fear on a small pathway, with a few thousand foot drop off two feet away. I could feel the earth shaking as it rolled down upon us, but couldn't see it. I realized that it was coming directly down on us and this gal couldn't move. I ran and grabbed her and I fell back into a small crevice holding her close to me and two seconds later a boulder five feet in diameter crashed upon the spot she had been standing and went flying thousands of feet below. It came within inches of us, I could have easily touched it as it went by. She would have died almost instantly otherwise.
    plumbstraight and Hoot Gibson like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I stumbled accross thread for Bikerjosh's organized Death Valley trip last night, a great read. I was impressed. Josh, You and others know your stuff and can put together a really well done group ride. Good pics of SoCal gang and departed Lizrdbrth in addition to fantastic scenery. Entertaining winter-time read garanteed to make you wish you were there.
    Can confussor (computer?) savy member post link for this and/ other 395 based trips? Apologize for poor forum skills.

Littletommy you are a hidden hero with a storybook happy ending. Good job!

Well, I have just about convinced myself to load up van with TW and head down there. To heck with taxes, recent rains should make wildflowers pop in Death Valley and that is a sight to see. Now if I can only put off clients and convince dogs they can survive w/o me.....
    Last edited by Fred; 02-16-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: corrected spelling after second cup of coffee
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    ........I actually saved the life of a girl whom I later married. .......
    OMG! I'll BET she was happy to marry you!!!!!!
    littletommy likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

QUOTE=Fred;101921]I stumbled accross thread for Bikerjosh's organized Death Valley trip last night, a great read. I was impressed. Josh, You and others know your stuff and can put together a really well done group ride. Good pics of SoCal gang and departed Lizrdbrth in addition to fantastic scenery. Entertaining winter-time read garanteed to make you wish you were there.
    Can confussor (computer?) savy member post link for this and/ other 395 based trips? Apologize for poor forum skills.

Littletommy you are a hidden hero with a storybook happy ending. Good job!

Well, I have just about convinced myself to load up van with TW and head down there. To heck with taxes, recent rains should make wildflowers pop in Death Valley and that is a sight to see. Now if I can only put off clients and convince dogs they can survive w/o me.....[/QUOTE]

Thanks Fred
    It was a lot of fun planning that group ride in DV. I organized three rides out of the Lakeport/Ukiah area last year, you should come join us for the next one-probably sometime in late March or April.
    Heading back to DV on March 7-9 to host my second three day 4wd trip, after doing my first one in early November.
    Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links