Entire Disc Brake Front End
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Entire Disc Brake Front End

Entire Disc Brake Front End

Hiya folks,

I am midway through prep for a fork swap (yes, I will post pictures as parts are completed).

I am now at the point where I need to decide if I am going to modify things on my TW front wheel, or If I am going to start with another wheel. The TW wheel is easy, because I have it. At the same time, if I consume the wheel no one else can do a disc conversion with it. Whatever wheel I use, I will have to modify and make parts, so starting with another wheel (WR rear wheel is a good candidate, so far) does not really make my life more difficult.

Here is what it comes down to, if the parts are worth enough, I will sell them. I have been watching ebay for a few months now looking for front wheels and forks for disc brake TWs, but aside from what set of forks a couple months back, I have not seen anything except the folks who want $300 for a wheel. I will sell the forks and brakes regardless, but unless someone already has a wheel, that is not enough to convert a bike.

I expect to have the entire front available. That is the steering stem, triple clamps and forks (still installed on the clamps), the caliper and master cylinder with lever (still assembled together, caliper mounted on fork, hose tied in at its lower triple mounting spot) and front wheel. The wheel has a deathwing on it and that can stay or go depending on whether the buyer wants to pay the extra shipping for leaving it on. The swap labor on the buyer's end is then pretty easy because you just take everything off at the steering head, put new steering head bearings in while you are there, and move the handlebars over.

Based on what I have been seeing on ebay (I don't have any better data), it seems to be about $500 in parts. That would be easier to get selling as individual parts because people nickel-and-dime themselves and we spend more than we thought. I know I do (In the immortal words of Maxwell Smart, "It is an old and incredibly stupid trick, but it has always worked on me").

Is $500 in anyone's ballpark? I am open to offers, but like I said, if the wheel is not worth enough to sell, I will consume it with my mods rather than buy something more expensive to replace it with. That also means that I am open to partial trades that include some form of reasonably modern rear wheel with equal spoke lengths left and right.

Thanks All,

Matthew

Hello All,

I played around with axle diameters and how to make things work, and it looks like I will be ditching the TW front wheel with its forks. Is anyone here trying to convert a bike and/or just get an additional front wheel? I will ebay things, but only after the forum gets a shot at them.

Forks, wheel, axle, triple clamps w/ steeping stem, all front brake parts (caliper, master cylinder, brake line assembled)

Thanks,

Matthew

rbm
    Interested in the wheel, PM me please.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pictures for those interested

Matthew

I can't comment regarding prices but from all I have heard here I am not so sure this is a worthwhile upgrade. Said another way, would any of us pay an additional $500+ if the TW were sold with standard drum front or upgraded to the disc? I can only say I personally would not do such an upgrade on any pre 2001 TW unless the parts were on a parts donor frame already in my possession. Others might disagree if they are completely dissatisfied with the drum front which I am not.

Are you attempting to do the fat tire front change over on your project bike?

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

But if you had a damaged front end it could work as a replacement for both disk or drum.
    Nice to see a price listed to.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I can't comment regarding prices but from all I have heard here I am not so sure this is a worthwhile upgrade. Said another way, would any of us pay an additional $500+ if the TW were sold with standard drum front or upgraded to the disc? I can only say I personally would not do such an upgrade on any pre 2001 TW unless the parts were on a parts donor frame already in my possession. Others might disagree if they are completely dissatisfied with the drum front which I am not.

Are you attempting to do the fat tire front change over on your project bike?

GaryL
    I would change/pay-extra, but I am weird, so that may not count for much. I like having good brakes. The sad part is that TWs don't really have good brakes with either set-up. With the disc you do have the option of swapping to the 270mm disc (and new caliper bracket), but that is even more money. That would be a noticeable change, though.

I am swapping to stiffer forks and a larger brake disc along the way. Two wide wheels is not the goal, but that does not mean I would not eventually try if I could make it fit.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mmclaughlin View Post
    I would change/pay-extra, but I am weird, so that may not count for much. I like having good brakes. The sad part is that TWs don't really have good brakes with either set-up. With the disc you do have the option of swapping to the 270mm disc (and new caliper bracket), but that is even more money. That would be a noticeable change, though.

I am swapping to stiffer forks and a larger brake disc along the way. Two wide wheels is not the goal, but that does not mean I would not eventually try if I could make it fit.

Matthew
    Yup! That is my understanding regarding the disc, better but not all that much better to make it a worthwhile investment. I am one of a few who is OK with the front drum as long as it is working and adjusted right but it is a bit wonky after a wet stream crossing.

Have fun with your project.

GaryL
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Parts are sold, I believe to modify a completely different kind of bike.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mmclaughlin View Post

Matthew
    Could you give me info on what these upgrades are exactly? What is the larger disk and caliper bracket from, and is it a simple bolt on? Or would I need custom parts made? Also, what stiffer forks?

I appreciate it.....
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links