1988 TW200 for sale - no title
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1988 TW200 for sale - no title

1988 TW200 for sale - no title

**EDIT: SOLD!**

I've been kind of meaning to fix this up for the last 2-3 years and have come to realize that I just do not have the time. Bike is an '88, unknown miles, no title, currently in some state of disassembly. No lights, gauge cluster, or headlight plastic. Does not currently run, but engine physically turns over with kickstarter. I have what I think are 99% of the parts to get it running, bought new from Bikebandit 2 years ago. Only thing that may be missing is CDI, not sure if it's still in the box of stuff I have. Wiring harness was horrible and hacked up, so I replaced it with a new one off eBay (again, 2 years ago). Gas tank was "Kreamed" before I got it, so there's at least no rust. Tires are garbage. Rear/side plastics were spray painted at some point and look like shit. Has been stored outside under a tarp.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this thing sounds like a real prize, right?

I'd like to just get rid of it at this point. I don't have time to part it out, so am selling it as a package. I'm thinking like $300? The new parts were $200 alone. I'll put together a more comprehensive list of new/missing parts, as well as get some pics up a bit later this weekend.

Located in Winchester, VA.
    Last edited by stinkycheezmonky; 10-08-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Any chance you would meet me an hour from you?

I would, but only if you covered the cost of the trailer/gas and paid up front. Unfortunately my spare time is very limited.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stinkycheezmonky View Post
    I've been kind of meaning to fix this up for the last 2-3 years and have come to realize that I just do not have the time. Bike is an '88, unknown miles, no title, currently in some state of disassembly. No lights, gauge cluster, or headlight plastic. Does not currently run, but engine physically turns over with kickstarter. I have what I think are 99% of the parts to get it running, bought new from Bikebandit 2 years ago. Only thing that may be missing is CDI, not sure if it's still in the box of stuff I have. Wiring harness was horrible and hacked up, so I replaced it with a new one off eBay (again, 2 years ago). Gas tank was "Kreamed" before I got it, so there's at least no rust. Tires are garbage. Rear/side plastics were spray painted at some point and look like shit. Has been stored outside under a tarp.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this thing sounds like a real prize, right?

I'd like to just get rid of it at this point. I don't have time to part it out, so am selling it as a package. I'm thinking like $300? The new parts were $200 alone. I'll put together a more comprehensive list of new/missing parts, as well as get some pics up a bit later this weekend.

Located in Winchester, VA.
    Good add and I appreciate your honesty about this project bike. Pictures would certainly tell more of the story but being honest gets my respect. $ 300 is a reasonable asking price IMO because the buyer could easily part it out and not lose money. Bringing it back to street legal running condition is an expensive proposition that I know all too well but also doable. I bought an 88 project bike that was exactly as you describe this one. Too bad you are so far from me in NY because I would be doing it all over again.

Best of luck to you and who ever buys the bike. Good wheels, good engine, good forks and a frame that can be registered in VT are all it takes to make for a nice project. Add around a thousand dollars and a bunch of hours and a good bike could emerge.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Can you give me a call when you get a chance? 443-802-0190
    1988 TW200 project
    1990 TW200
    1999 Suzuki VL1500
    2003 PW80

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. I like to give a buyer full disclosure when selling something, as I appreciate knowing exactly what I'm in for when I make a purchase myself. Regarding street legality, this thread is very informative for getting a title: How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title - ADVrider There were some changes since it was first created, so reading the later pages would be most useful if someone were interested.

Bigred, I gave you a call today and got your voicemail. I'll PM you my number also.

This is the new parts list I have:
    30X-14198-00-00 - gasket
    30X-14384-00-00 - gasket, float chamber
    2JX-14451-00-00 - element, air clnr
    1VJ-14462-00-00 - seal
    22W-23145-L0-00 - oil seal
    23F-24500-11-00 - fuel cock assy 1
    2JX-26341-10-00 - cable, brake
    93210-35537-00 - o-ring

I also have a set of new grips and a new coilpack. The rear plastic (and one of the side plastics I think) are in my parents' basement in MD, but could be mailed separately or whatever.

Pics after taking the tarp off:

Oh the carnage!!!! Organ donor for sure. I would like to have that motor myself. I want a spare to rebuild since I have never even attempted an engine build.

Tom

Not a complete basket case but pretty close. Too bad you can't swear the engine is good and was running fine before you started the tear down. The deciding factor for my personal plan with such a bike would be if the engine is good. Like DrydenT, an engine would be good to have but before rebuilding it I would try to learn if it even needs it. A check of compression might be a fair indication but won't tell much about the lower end and tranny.

Sounds like you have a possible buyer and it would be nice to see a member here take on a new project.

GaryL
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Adam I left you a message this morning, when you get a chance give me a call back.
    1988 TW200 project
    1990 TW200
    1999 Suzuki VL1500
    2003 PW80

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post

Sounds like you have a possible buyer and it would be nice to see a member here take on a new project.

GaryL
    If I get it the first order of business will be getting the thing running. Once I find out condition of motor and trans I think this will turn into an odd ball custom build for street use.
    1988 TW200 project
    1990 TW200
    1999 Suzuki VL1500
    2003 PW80

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links