wtb: a good used rear tire (knobby)
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: wtb: a good used rear tire (knobby)

wtb: a good used rear tire (knobby)

Hi guys,
    I have a 1989 TW200.

I was wondering if anybody on here has a nice (good amount of tread left) used rear knobby tire for sale?

I'm located in Ohio.

thanks!

I appreciate it.

-twbeagle

Be very careful here. Tire rubber is a funny substance. As it ages it becomes hardened an no longer has the traction grip that is absolutely necessary on pavement. I know this because my 1991 TW came with just 671 miles on it and the tires were just like new because the bike was only ridden around an RV camp ground on sunny days. Members here advised me to buy new tires immediately if I planned to do any pavement riding. I heard what they said but didn't do it right off, just drove very carefully on the roads and I am glad I did. The front tires on the TW are not the best to begin with but the rear is pretty decent. After just a few road trips it became very scary with the old and hard rubber. I replaced both tires with a new Bridgestone on the rear and a Shinko GB 5.10 on the front. Worlds of difference could be felt immediately. I have both of the take off tires still in near perfect condition tread wise but they are only good for studding for winter fun type riding. I would not give them to a member here unless they were to be used for studding only. I would not want an injury caused by old rubber weighing on my shoulders and I highly recommend you do not try to save some pennies at the expense of your safety.

GaryL
    Fred and cowboyjeff like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

thanks GaryL. I hear you. my '89 has the original tires....and yes, I was worried about them. I will be doing 50-70% of my riding on pavement. I thought about used and saving a few bucks, but after reading your post and warnings from other people on other sites, I decided to bite the bullet and order brand new bridgestones (tw31 AND tw34) today.

you are right. safety is more important than saving a couple hundred dollars. it all works out in the long run.

thanks for your post!!
    cowboyjeff likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am sure the rear was less than a hundred and think the front Shinko was under $60. On road or off I would not go with the front stock tire but that is your choice.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I am sure the rear was less than a hundred and think the front Shinko was under $60. On road or off I would not go with the front stock tire but that is your choice.

GaryL
    Gary - What's a good site to buy TW tires? Thanks!
    1993 TW200 (wrecked & rebuilding)
    2000 Triumph Adventurer Café Racer

rbm
    Do yourself a favor and cancel the TW31 if you can, there are better choices for on and especially off road.

^^^post above^^^ do not buy the Bridgestone front tire!

Shinko 244, 241 or Kenda 270
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tong&Groove View Post
    Gary - What's a good site to buy TW tires? Thanks!
    Rocky mountain is pretty steady with prices. Just watch where you buy from, some quote prices including shipping and others play the BS games and make a small fortune on shipping. Some have decent prices with shipping but they don't have any parts in stock so it takes three weeks to get it. We are in a big crap shoot with our TWs. The very best price is often a very bad joke and some vendors don't give a crap about you. Always ask if the part is in stock and ready to ship before you buy.

GaryL
    Fred and Tong&Groove like this.

Anyone remember the place Qwerty suggested? If I remember right, they were about the lowest price around with free shipping.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

After checking online prices you may wish to compare totals with a local motorcycle tire shop as they may include free mounting saving you untold hassle. Your old rear tire will be stiff and difficult at best to remove. You should be able to do the front yourself and that will be satisfying. It would be wise to order new tubes too if you can afford it now, otherwise 25 year old tubes might fail later causing grief. When I shopped for a new rear and found a local shop installing for free I said "Sold". Later when I had them dismount and try to put on an ATV tire they wanted $25 for the labor.
    Irregardless of what you get you should be very pleased and much safer with new tires.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-23-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links