WTB master link + 428H chain link- putting 15T on countershaft!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WTB master link + 428H chain link- putting 15T on countershaft!

IGNORE!! WTB 428H chain link- putting 15T on countershaft!

I figgered it was as easy as going down to my local $billion$ dollar/year huge Clawson Powersports, with whom I have done business since they were a tiny 3 guy business (48 years). But no- everything is like post-consumer now, you want just ONE , we gonna make you bleed for it. Ain't agonna sell you no single link, buy the entire new chain (Ka-CHING!) or go home, we don't wanna talk to ya.

I'll need a master-link too, but I can get them. But if you happen to have an old greasy one...

Thanks
    George
    Last edited by Thubbadubba; 11-03-2014 at 03:23 AM.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...X-X-Ring-Chain this is the best chain for this bike.

Have you found a bike yet?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thubbadubba View Post
    I figgered it was as easy as going down to my local $billion$ dollar/year huge Clawson Powersports, with whom I have done business since they were a tiny 3 guy business (48 years). But no- everything is like post-consumer now, you want just ONE , we gonna make you bleed for it. Ain't agonna sell you no single link, buy the entire new chain (Ka-CHING!) or go home, we don't wanna talk to ya.

I'll need a master-link too, but I can get them. But if you happen to have an old greasy one...

Thanks
    George
    A few questions on this one. Have you tried the existing chain with the new front sprocket? I would think there is enough adjustment to get it to work.

All chains are not created equal. I think if you need a new master link you should stick with the one for your particular brand chain. To go along with this, are you putting on a new front sprocket but using an old chain and rear sprocket? Just my opinion but it is best to start with all new parts when making changes in the drive chain. These parts do best when they wear together. When I bought my new DID VX 428 chains from Lytleracinggroup I also purchased two spare masters for that chain at just a couple dollars each. I also bought one chain that had 130 links instead of the 122 needed for stock. This gave me the ability to mess around with various sprockets if I want to. Thinking ahead sometimes comes in handy.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I just bought one at my local motorcycle shop for $2

WTB master link + 428H chain link- putting 15T on countershaft!

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    I just bought one at my local motorcycle shop for $2
    Good price mine was 6$ I had sticker shock.

Zdiver1, Not sure if you were asking me, but I have just bought a 2006, 3900 gentle miles, $2500, VERY nice condition.

I figgered I'd fool around with the 15T see if I liked it, watch wear and adjustment. I understand the need to replace all sprockets and chain at the same time. I was surprised one feller would replace a worn front while still using the same rear. In my case, I think the chain and sprockets are in VERY good condition, lubed all the time, driven gently, never in sand or anything. Because of this I am just replacing the front sprocket for a gearing change experiment. Later I can change them all together when needed.

GaryL, I was just about to go out and try that. Dug out my motorcycle lift jack. Put on my work duds.

About lubing the o-ring chains... I never do. Some folks claim that this will attract dust/dirt that will chew up the o-ring. In my feeble pea-brain I am fixated on the idea that the wiping action of the chain on the sprockets, coupled with the high contact pressure and presence of dust and dirt insures that you will not have lube where you need it very long. This has worked for me and I'll prolly stick with it but watch and evaluate. On some bikes I have flipped the sprockets to give me a fresh surface for a new chain. Seemed to work out OK but my discretionary income is greater now.
    Last edited by Thubbadubba; 10-27-2014 at 11:39 PM.

you can get new chain and sprocket sets on ebay for like$40 delivered on ebay. Nice to start off with new stuff all round. My experience is that using an old chain on a new sprocket will cause excessive wear on the new sprocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-Wheel-200 View Post
    My experience is that using an old chain on a new sprocket will cause excessive wear
    Yes, I understand this. I also know that the 15T sprocket is a great deal cheaper than the o-ring or x-ring chain. The chain I have is very fresh. If the accelerated wear on the fresh sprocket 'caught up' to the clearances worn into the existing rear sprocket and chain it still would have a ton of case-hardening under it. I am confident that it will work out fine. Been there before.

You can measure chain wear, or at least chain "stretch".

Place bike in 1st gear, block rear wheel as pictured, remove chain guard, and measure length of chain. I use 18" which is 37 rivets. The rivets are exactly 1/2" apart. If your measurements are exactly 18" you are good, if not, what I have read is .006"/rivet stretch is max. allowable, which would be roughly 18 1/4".

P1230001.JPGP1220006.JPGP1220008.JPG

You can see my chain has stretched just over 1/8".
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links