1991 TW No Title
Close

Hello,

I'm new on here and pretty new to owning a TW too. I got mine off of a guy I work with who got it off a guy he worked with, etc., etc. Since the chain of people who didn't realize what they had goes so far back, I've had a ton of trouble getting a title for it. Since I can't (legally) ride it on the road, and I don't really have a lot of time to take it somewhere and play in the dirt, I think I need to go ahead and sell it. I could really use the money anyway.

My problem is, since the bike has no title, I have no idea what it's worth. I know I could probably put it on CL and get something out of it but, since you all know what a TW is and can appreciate it, I thought I'd post here and see what you guys have to say.

Any input would be appreciated.

BTW I'm in the Cincinnati, OH area.

Thanks!

I guess I forgot to tell about the bike. It has no turn signals, or tail light. The last guy just used it off-road. The bike runs unbelieveably well. It has just over 2K miles and it starts right up whenever I want it to.

You can probably get a bonded title from a local insurance agent. In GA it cost about $100 for a mid 90's TW. Then get you some used lights and ride!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Do the Vermont title service, all you need is a US Social Security number. Americans are so lucky to have a great state to help them out. Wish there was a province in Canada that was the same way.

i live in Vermont (in the summer) what is the Vt Title Deal ?

I am interested in your bike as I was looking for one to ride on my 50 acres in Vt

any pictures ?

[email protected]

In Calif. if it hasn't been registered in 10 years it is dropped from the system. You then go to DMV with a bill of sale, a brief letter of explanation, I guess they check the serial numbers to see if it was ever reported stolen and if it all clears they issue you a new pink slip. If it weren't for the long lines at the DMV it is an easy process.

Call your local DMV and see if Ohio has a similar law. I hadn't realized how easy it was of even that this opportunity existed until I had to do it. Good luck.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Interesting, as I also have a non-titled bike... More details on the Vermont title business?

Thanks for the suggestions. I know it's been a long time since I posted anything, but I kinda gave up for a while. I think I talked to every branch of the Ohio BMV and Titling offices. Everyone kept saying I would have to pay $100 to file for a court-ordered title, pay another $100+ for the title if the judge believed my story and allowed it. I just didn't have the cash to justify that so I just put the TW in the barn and rode it around the farm when I could.

Earlier this spring, I decided to try again. I called a couple of the departments that I called last year and they still said I would probably have to get a court-ordered title. This time they checked the VIN for me and told me there was no record of it. Since the bike had (apparently) never been titled, I was able to get an off-road only title by getting an out-of-state inspection and filling out a couple forms saying that I owned it before July 1999. (Off-road motorcycles didn't require titles before then in Ohio.) Technically, the guy I got it from should have done this step and then transferred the title to me, we just skipped a step.

Once I got the off-road title, I was able to fill out a "Body Change Affidavit" at the title office and they took my off-road title and gave me a motorcycle title. I took it to the BMV and got tags. I put on my new tail light and turn signals last night and my mirrors are in the mail. Can't wait to start riding it on the road! Now if it will just stop raining!!

So, you lied to the government?

Turnabout is fair play, I guess.

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying. If you get caught, you weren't trying hard enough!!!

Way to stick it to 'em.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links