WTB tires. Or advise me what would work better! Lightly used, or take offs considered
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jb882
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: WTB tires. Or advise me what would work better! Lightly used, or take offs considered

WTB tires. Or advise me what would work better! Lightly used, or take offs considered

Anyone ditch there original tire's? I am working on a revival project and will need a rear tire for sure and would not hurt to freshen up the front. I'd consider decent used or give me your 5 cents worth on options etc. 70 percent gravel/loose rock roads. Rest paved. Stockers worked fine on my last tw. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by moresnow; 03-25-2015 at 05:26 AM.

My opinion the stock rear is fine for most anything but deep thick mud and it has good manners on the street. The front is another story, the stock tire is garbage. Replacement options are well documented here if your inclined to search. Personally i run a Shinko 244 on the front( a popular option) and compared to the stock on its brilliant and better both on road and off.
    Last edited by jb882; 03-25-2015 at 08:50 AM.
    goldenhtr likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

It should cost you around $150 for a new stock rear and a Shinko up front. As tough as it is swapping these tires it makes more sense to just bite the bullet and go with new. I have a set of practically new stock tires out in the shed. They have 600 miles on them but are 28 years old and hard as a rock. I will give them to anyone local here in NY who will swear to stud them for winter ice riding ONLY! I ran them on the pavement for around 100 miles and they are deadly with about zero traction! Mine are not worth the cost of shipping and I want nothing to do with the guilt of a member hurting himself by using them on the road just because he is trying to save some money. Old rubber is a big safety hazard.

GaryL
    goldenhtr likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys. If I come across decent used rubber i'am game to use it. I've used them before. If not I'll grab some new ones. The bike is a '99 I believe. It has had a very rough life! If resurected it will lead a life of near retirement style use! I miss my '09 for trout fishing outings. This will work perfect if I get it done. If not I have a Sherpa and a KLR.

The Super Sherpa is definitely a cool bike!
    "Right's right -even if nobody's doing it and wrong's wrong -even if everybody's doing it"

Update. New stocker rear purchased. Sherpa. Agreed, finest Kaw enduro example I've owned. Simple, 6 speed,very capable of highway speeds, light, smooth as glass compared to the clunky KLR.

Sponosred Links