Ignition Switch / KEYS
Close

does anyone know where I can get extra keys for my TW200 ?

It only came with one key, and I would like two extras.

I have the key code # if that matters, or just blanks would work.

I am out here on the Island of St John in the Caribbean and there are no locksmiths, etc

thanks so much,

emillio

When I got my 1987 last year it did not have a key. Went to local locksmith and gave him key code number and got keys cut on the spot. May have charged me about $14 for the two keys. I think the keys were cheap but the service fee to look up key code seemed to be reason it was more than about $4 a key. Was so happy to have key to turn it on and open up gas tank so I paid up and ran out the door to ride the TW. The cost didn't really seem to matter at the time.

No locksmith on the island? No locks on the island? It sounds pretty laid back there. Nice!!!!!!!!!!! I need a vacation!

Since you only have one key now I am sure you shouldn't let it leave the island to have another one duplicated. Why don't you send the key code to someone on the forum to get you some made and mail them to you?

I could do it if no one else can.
    Lyall

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can pick up a few blanks for you from the local Ace Hardware if you'll pay the shipping. PM me with the details, I don't log on everyday so it may take a few before I get back with you.

Man, that would be just about the perfect bike for that island. We took a trip there last year, incredible place. You could maybe check at the little hardware store in the main town by the harbor, or make a daytrip over to St. Thomas.

Not sure if you got this sorted yet, but I just went to my local locksmith with my original and he used it to cut two keys for me there on the spot--didn't look up the key code or anything like that, just used the machine. Cost me $7 for 2 keys. They both work great. Anyway, it is not an ideal solution, but if you want you can send me your original (I'm in Washington DC) and I'll get a couple made for you. Obviously you would be risking the possible loss of your only key in the mail so may not be the best solution for you but if you want to do it PM me and we can arrange. I don't mind doing this for another forum member so the only cost to you would be $7 for the locksmith + shipping.
    Current stable: 2012 TW200; 2011 TW; 2000 Police Road King; 2014 HD Road Glide; 1971 Triumph Trial Trail 250;

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    Not sure if you got this sorted yet, but I just went to my local locksmith with my original and he used it to cut two keys for me there on the spot--didn't look up the key code or anything like that, just used the machine. Cost me $7 for 2 keys. They both work great. Anyway, it is not an ideal solution, but if you want you can send me your original (I'm in Washington DC) and I'll get a couple made for you. Obviously you would be risking the possible loss of your only key in the mail so may not be the best solution for you but if you want to do it PM me and we can arrange. I don't mind doing this for another forum member so the only cost to you would be $7 for the locksmith + shipping.

I was just rereading your original message. Because you said blanks would work for you too, I guess you have a key cutter on the island, just no locksmith? If that is the case then it probably makes more sense to just get blanks sent to you. I see someone else already offered to do that. If it doesn't work out let me know--I'm happy to help out if you need it as I know my local locksmith has the right blanks since he just did this for me.
    Current stable: 2012 TW200; 2011 TW; 2000 Police Road King; 2014 HD Road Glide; 1971 Triumph Trial Trail 250;

Careful with assumptions that any blank will work. I know at least two distinct patterns used by Yamaha. I believe they were segregated by years and one was a mirror image of the other. I believe older bikes (up to ?? year) took one key and the newer ones (starting in year ??) took the other. I recall folks having many horror stories of Ace Hardware (read generic key shop blanks) not working. I know I went to a real professional key shop and they were not able to successfully match the blank stock and the key did not work. I'd get a Yamaha key (or a blank known to work) and then cut it from the original. (Or order it with the key code). My advice only. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Good point and one that I was entirely unaware of. Caribbean, I have a 2003 so all I can really say is that I know they have the correct blanks for 2003. Not sure what, if any, other years might work.

Sponosred Links