Close

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By mckee1710
  • 6 Post By silverwing
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru

Thread: 11 months, 5000 miles, thinkin it's time for a change

11 months, 5000 miles, thinkin it's time for a change

It's been almost a year since I bought my TW. I'll never forget it...July 27th of last year, about 45 min drive from my house. The seller was an older fella, real nice guy. When I got there it was pouring out, so we hung out in his garage while the storm passed. The bike had 2200 miles on it and was flawless, not a scratch on it. I couldn't wait for the rain to let up so I could swing my leg over it for a test ride. He lived out in the sticks with miles of dirt roads around his property, so once the rain slowed we saddled up - him on his old Honda 3-wheeler, me on the TW. After a 30 min ride, he had me hooked and I just had to have it. We settled on a price, loaded it into the bed of my ol Chevy pickup and I drove her home, grinning from ear to ear the entire drive.

Fast forward to the present, just about a year later, just over 7000 miles on the clock and numerous farkles. I've taken care of her and she's taken care of me, however I'm starting to entertain the idea of a bigger bike. At 5'10" 225 I'm no lightweight, and while the TW chugs me along just fine, I'm beginning to long for some more displacement. As my girlfriend and I start to look into longer trips and dual-sport rides, it'd be nice to have a bike that's a little more highway capable, especially 2-up with gear. I've learned so much from both wrenching and riding this bike, but it may be time to move on...

Long story short, I'm considering trading the beloved TW for a bigger dual-sport (WR250, DR350, DRZ400, DR650, XR, possibly a KLR, etc.) Trading is my best option as my TW is my primary mode of transportation around town for work and school. So...anyone looking to downsize a bigger bike, or add another TW to the stable?
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

Try to find a BMW f700gs, it has a big wow factor like the TW, but much more power, much better handling and ride and very stable in strong wind and almost as good fuel economy and can go on gravel roads and trails, but not as good as the TW. I have over 16000 miles on it in less than a year, had 23000 miles on the TW when I traded it in.

Hard part might be finding a Florida BMW owner who wants to trade his f700gs for a TrailWay.
    littletommy, Kasky and mckee1710 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
    Try to find a BMW f700gs, it has a big wow factor like the TW, but much more power, much better handling and ride and very stable in strong wind and almost as good fuel economy and can go on gravel roads and trails, but not as good as the TW. I have over 16000 miles on it in less than a year, had 23000 miles on the TW when I traded it in.
    Or, try a V-Strom 650. It'll still do some of what a dual-sport should do; but you'll have the power to move at freeway speeds.

BMW has a high cost of ownership. I never had an F, so I can't speak about that bike specifically; but you can get on a lightly-used Wee pretty cheap these days.

FWIW, I'd keep the TW at least for a time, if you can. It's always nice to have a change of pace.
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links