Fair price for a stripped (no fairings) 99 tw200 with 22k miles
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Fair price for a stripped (no fairings) 99 tw200 with 22k miles

Fair price for a stripped (no fairings) 99 tw200 with 22k miles

Hi all new here. Need something fun and cheap to ride while tearing down daily rider. Seller is asking $1500. 22Seems high for the mileage, or is that average. He states it starts with 1 kick. Starter has an issue and just clicks, (tried starter relay) thinking due to a grounding issue <red flag? Planning on rewriting eventually>. Anyone care to share some advice. Should I pursue or head for the hills? What we be a fair price if it's worth Moving forward. Feel like it's worth $900 at the most. Am I low balling? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ad states:

1999 yamaha tw200 converted into a sports tracker starts up first kick the starter is clicking but ordered a new starter relay that should fix it. Runs good new carb rebuilt kit k&n come filter wrapped header different speedo new oil and oil filter just replaced new led headlight new led blinkers smoked new led taillight new grips its a little fun bike $1500 obo
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Most modified bikes seem to have too high asking prices. thus they seem overpriced unless you really desire the modifications made.
    So...do you want a "sports tracker"?
    For $900 you could afford new plastic and stuff to restore bike to stock or whatever look you desire but 22,000 miles is a lot.
    I would look around more for a lower mileage, newer bike closer to your needs and desires unless the "sports tracker" look tickles your fancy.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quite honestly I was planning on stripping one down anyway. It would mostly be for urban riding. What scares me is the high mileage. thNks for the feedback.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I might be OCD and crazy, but I personally won't buy used vehicles if they have ANY problems, AT ALL (described by seller, or found during inspecting/testing). When I buy used vehicles (which I don't unless I feel that I have NO way to buy new), I sift through literally hundreds of ads, and read up on things for countless hours, before making a purchase. And when I go to look at a vehicle, I spend a whole bunch of time thoroughly inspecting the whole thing, which does sometimes piss off the seller. I don't care though, tbh. If they don't have time or don't like "tire kickers", they can lose the sale and tell me to beat it. Anyway, aside from that, I'm with Fred. I think $1,500 for a 99 with 22k miles is really high. A TW might be about ready for a top end (rebuild) at that mileage...

If you don't want to "low ball", you can always let the seller know that you might be interested, but not at that price...that he or she should let you know if he or she decides to lower the price in the near future.
    Last edited by kj7687; 07-13-2016 at 12:40 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    That bike has been used, served its purpose to the seller, and is a $500.00 project to a kid who has a wrench dad that he wants to watch and grow up to be like. This is a gift from a wrench to his kid after he fixes it up. This is a project, not a kick and go. Think fork seals, top end, tires, and chasing down an electrical problem. Think chain and sprocket. Nothing wrong with a 22,000 mile bike if you pay what it is worth and see it for what it is.
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 07-13-2016 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice.

I picked up this 87 with 7500 garaged miles this spring for about $1000, It does have new OEM tires and tubes and there is nothing wrong with it,
    87tw200.jpg
    For my Birthday in March I picked up a 2003 with 1950 miles which was babied and never off road for $1900,
    Granted I was looking for 3 months before it popped up,
    Be first,
    Have cash.
    tw1.jpg
    The price of $1500 for the one you are looking at is just too much unless you live somewhere where there are NO TW200ds,
    I loved the first one so much, I needed a second and the 87 popped up,
    Again,
    Be the first to call,
    Or be the first to look,
    Bring cash and be prepared to take bike with you.
    Welcome to the forum and good luck!
    These are nice reliable little bikes!
    But they do have a limited service life with neglect,
    Always consider you will need two new tires and two new sprockets and a chain,
    Also, If you read, Watch out for the wrong oil filter woes.
    Chao.
    Peter B

Stackz - Unless you want THAT bike for some reason, run. Here's what I would recommend, post a want to buy ad on craigslist, be patient and people will start to call you. You can typically pick up a nice clean bike for less this way. I personally would be leery of such a high mileage bike. My preference is below 3500 miles. Good luck!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

Hi all! Thank you for all the words of wisdom! I was able to pick up a 07 with 1134 miles for $1400. It was a 3 hour trip and well worth it. Had oil coming out the air box when I got it home, but found the fix on this site. Look forward to contributing to the site. Thank you all!

Congrats. You'll love your TW.
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links