Looking for parts in South Africa
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Looking for parts in South Africa

Question Looking for parts in South Africa

Hi, I'm new to the forum and failing to keep myself from spending a HUGE amount of time learning more about my recently purchased 1996 TW200.

This is my first bike restoration, and with parts being very expensive at my local bike shops (KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa) I need some help/guidance where to buy parts internationally. As an example a new rear shock will cost R5000 (US$350) almost US$200 more expensive than ebay prices. No way shipping and import will be that expensive?

Parts I need to get bike registered on my name before I start with a complete resto (apart from consumables/filters which I'll buy locally):
    Rear shock
    Left and right controls

Any advice and/or sharing lessons learnt will be greatly appreciated.

I'm stripping the bike this weekend to compile a 'more-complete' parts list I'll need

Welcome to the forum!!

We do have a member in South Africa named Cornelis that may be able to help you. He would know better than most of us here in the U.S. He may see your post or you can Personal Message him. He's here most everyday. Good luck, keep us posted please on how it goes.

***You should be able to click on his name and go directly to his profile page.

Quote Originally Posted by LagoonRekkie View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and failing to keep myself from spending a HUGE amount of time learning more about my recently purchased 1996 TW200.

This is my first bike restoration, and with parts being very expensive at my local bike shops (KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa) I need some help/guidance where to buy parts internationally. As an example a new rear shock will cost R5000 (US$350) almost US$200 more expensive than ebay prices. No way shipping and import will be that expensive?

Parts I need to get bike registered on my name before I start with a complete resto (apart from consumables/filters which I'll buy locally):
    Rear shock
    Left and right controls

Any advice and/or sharing lessons learnt will be greatly appreciated.

I'm stripping the bike this weekend to compile a 'more-complete' parts list I'll need
    Last edited by littletommy; 09-21-2016 at 07:13 AM. Reason: edited to make cornelis name a hot link
    Purple, admiral and Cornelis like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Hi there from Centurion and welcome to the forum! ! !

In the first place I just want to let you know that there is someone living close-by to you in Durban who is also a member of the forum who you can contact with regards to spares, his name is Mr. Paynter and you just have to click on the link to go to his profile page

View Profile: Mr.Paynter - Yamaha TW200 Forum

My main source for parts is my local Yamaha dealer and yes it is expensive but with the original parts you always know that they're also the best possible quality.

You can get a brand new shock from partzilla.com in the US for US$220 plus the shipping cost of US$58 = US$278 (Click Here) to have a look

The TW is a straightforward bike to work on and I'm sure that you are going to enjoy this project!

What do you mean with left and right controls that you want to replace, do you mean the actual flicker light units?
    admiral likes this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am sure someone here has a spring sitting on a shelf somewhere that could send it to you...
    Cornelis likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post
    Hi there from Centurion and welcome to the forum! ! !

In the first place I just want to let you know that there is someone living close-by to you in Durban who is also a member of the forum who you can contact with regards to spares, his name is Mr. Paynter and you just have to click on the link to go to his profile page

View Profile: Mr.Paynter - Yamaha TW200 Forum

My main source for parts is my local Yamaha dealer and yes it is expensive but with the original parts you always know that they're also the best possible quality.

You can get a brand new shock from partzilla.com in the US for US$220 plus the shipping cost of US$58 = US$278 (Click Here) to have a look

The TW is a straightforward bike to work on and I'm sure that you are going to enjoy this project!

What do you mean with left and right controls that you want to replace, do you mean the actual flicker light units?
    Thanks! I'll connect with Mr.Paynter ASAP.
    Regarding the controls: Both units are very worn and the flicker switch is not working...though I might change it as part of the resto. I mean I'll use them every time I use my bike, might as well make it a joy

I fell in love with this bike after taking my friends' TW for a ride (my profile picture at Karkloof Falls). Really enjoying the process of restoring.

Much appreciated!
    littletommy and Cornelis like this.

I've got a rear shock off of an 87' I will send you for the cost of shipping.
    Cornelis, littletommy and Peterb like this.

Wow, that's awesome! Will send you private msg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cornelis and littletommy like this.

I don't have any spare parts you are currently looking for, but if ever need anything post up here so we can all take a look in our spare parts storage stashes. Could never guarantee a used part from the U.S. with shipping would ever be cheaper than buying local in your country but you never know. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your TW & parts search!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thank you!

African innovation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links