FMF or DG ??? OR?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Howdy yall, Im interested in purchasing a tailpipe/exhaust/muffler for my TDub I have seen many FMF and DG pipes on ebay the DG's are around $150 and the FMF's are more expensive... does anyone have one they want to sell? I would maybe trade some blue TW plastic for one or my stock pipe or ??? anyway Im in the market for one, any ideas? and i know this is probably a tired subject but is a rejet required? I figure it would run better richer with the stock setup. im not opposed to jetting the carb I just wonder what the recommended jetting is for just putting a "slip on" pipe on a 2007... I dont really want to mess up a good running bike just to have it a lil louder, I imagine theres lots of folks on here that have simply added a pipe and can direct me to the exact appropriate jetting scenerio... thoughts? comments? pipe for sale or trade?

thanks!
    Kirk Ross

1973 Honda CL100 Scrambler

1983 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special

1996 Yamaha YZ250

1997 Kawasaki KE100

2005 Yamaha TW200

2007 Yamaha TW200

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

2008 Honda Shadow 750

2009 Honda Rebel 250

(current)2008 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom

Being pretty new to the TW, but an old school dirt biker, I immediately poured over all the forums looking for the "right upgrades". I was pretty close to drilling out the core (1" hole 7" down inside the muffler). But I was surprised that I found NO ONE reported a positive outcome for changing out or even modifying the exhaust. They did say that every mod did increase the noise more than they liked. That told me modifying the exhaust wasn't a place that would yield good results.

I've done the usual carb mods (fuel mixture screw, jet, shims) to great success, and suggest you start there. The TW needs to breathe better, but it is so small that you can give it too much air, which can be a bad thing. I added a short 45 degree extension (you can find the mod on the forum) to the muffler's outlet. I believe the TW really likes the extra added back-pressure which sort of validates leaving the exhaust stock. It does purr a very sweet tune and runs really smooth.

For my money, I'm leaving the exhaust and air box stock and keeping the money.
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

Quote Originally Posted by KrossRoads View Post
    Howdy yall, Im interested in purchasing a tailpipe/exhaust/muffler for my TDub I have seen many FMF and DG pipes on ebay the DG's are around $150 and the FMF's are more expensive... does anyone have one they want to sell? I would maybe trade some blue TW plastic for one or my stock pipe or ??? anyway Im in the market for one, any ideas? and i know this is probably a tired subject but is a rejet required? I figure it would run better richer with the stock setup. im not opposed to jetting the carb I just wonder what the recommended jetting is for just putting a "slip on" pipe on a 2007... I dont really want to mess up a good running bike just to have it a lil louder, I imagine theres lots of folks on here that have simply added a pipe and can direct me to the exact appropriate jetting scenerio... thoughts? comments? pipe for sale or trade?

thanks!

KrossRoads,

i am pretty new to the enduro world and i asked a similar question here on this forum. i was informed from multiple people that one of a couple of things happen to the bike when modifying the exhaust.

1. FMF exhaust is TOO loud

2. FMF exhaust actually caused the loss of some low-end grunt from the bike

3. reports of both better/worst fuel economy (i have heard both ways about AM exhaust regardless of brand)

but keep in mind, some people are at different elevations and some have made other mods in conjunction to exhaust mods that can negatively or positively affect performance outcome. in the general world of performance, the more power you get takes away economy.

but for me, because i am cheap and dont like "homemade" exhaust mods, i will be purchasing a DG muffler for my birthday next month. if i can find one used, im going that route. if i cant find one used, then i'm buying it new, along with the proper shims/jet sizing.

DezertRat

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ok, so I broke down and ordered a DG "R" series (R means round, they also make an "O" which means oval) exhaust pipe and got it today, put it on and Im very pleased, it sounds great, not overly loud but deeper and more agressive sounding, Not so much like a lawn mower AND there is a noticable power increase, thats right I said it lol, I can seriously go farther/longer in each gear before shifting and it has a little more power thoughout the range... I cant wait to see how it acts after i turn the fuel screw out 2 1/2 turns, bump the main jet up to #130 and the needle shim mod, I cant find the TK pilot jet anywhere, but Im going to try this setup after my jet arrives in the mail FYI I ordered the TK main jet from motorcyclecarbs.com it was like $7 but I didnt want to try a mikuni and risk stripping anything or do the # guessing game (ive heard numbers dont correspond), may try a mikuni pilot later if It needs it but will have to see
    Kirk Ross

1996 Yamaha YZ250

1997 Kawasaki KE100

2005 Yamaha TW200

2007 Yamaha TW200

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

2008 Honda Shadow 750

2009 Honda Rebel 250

Kirk Ross

1996 Yamaha YZ250

1997 Kawasaki KE100

2005 Yamaha TW200

2007 Yamaha TW200

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

2008 Honda Shadow 750

2009 Honda Rebel 250

Damn that things sexy I would like to hear some specs on the difference between the old stocker and the DG.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I can't help you much on specs but it is certainly lighter than the stocker
    Kirk Ross

1996 Yamaha YZ250

1997 Kawasaki KE100

2005 Yamaha TW200

2007 Yamaha TW200

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

2008 Honda Shadow 750

2009 Honda Rebel 250

Quote Originally Posted by KrossRoads View Post
    I can't help you much on specs but it is certainly lighter than the stocker

KrossRoads is your stock muffler for sale?

thank,

Rick
    I guess that I LIKE THUMPERS

1994 TW200

1999 F650

1970 CT90

1973 CT90

1980 CX500 (what was I thinking?)

1996 XT225

1999 TTR225

I think all his extra parts are gone. I bought his bike and he said he didn't have any of the stock stuff.

JD
    2005 Mini Cooper "S" Liquid Yellow "Tweety"

2007 Suzuki Kingquad 4x4

2007 TW200 w/DG slip on

I put a big gun ttr225 on. Definately a gain, but it is a full exhaust from the header back, similar to a monophone. The pipe gets larger about every 4-5". It has the quiet core, spark arrestor and new packing. Idles as quiet as stock, but is pretty loud at high rpm. Love the power gain, but have a few other mods to compliment it. Just orderd a db dawg. I would love the gain without and light weight without the noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links