Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By twmax
  • 2 Post By old w/??
  • 1 Post By twmax
  • 2 Post By GaryL

Thread: WTB Kickstarter

WTB Kickstarter

What is the likely hood of finding a used kickstarter setup for a 2002 TW??
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.

I would think new or used will probably be the same unless you can get one out of a M/C junkyard.
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.

old w/?? I tend to agree with you, been looking and that seems to be the case, I'm gonna give it a rest, might just get lucky somehow /somewhere............ until then the electric starter has to do.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A little history might help.

All TWs from 1987 through 2000 came with the kicker. In 2001 when they changed the front brake to a disc and replaced the carb to the new style they removed the kicker. At that time Yamaha was making a kick start kit for the XT225 that did not come stock with the kick start. Those kits fit perfectly in the TW 200 engine with just one modification. The kick boss which goes on the shaft must be longer to accommodate the wider TW frame and allow the kick lever to clear it. Any TW engine that does have a kicker can be transferred into a TW engine that does not have it. Yamaha then discontinued making the XT225 kits as a full kit but they do still sell all or most of the parts separately. Some dealers have since begun putting together the old kits from the lose parts and sell them with the correct TW boss. Bay Yamaha I believe is the place that does this but I don't have info on the cost or availability. I have heard here that you need to get on a waiting list of sorts until they make up a number of the kits.

Member Placerload was selling the kits but I am not sure if he has any remaining. I have 2 of the original kits here with all the right parts for the TWs but you can buy them for less than I spent so I am sitting on them. Your best source is to find a blown TW motor that has the kit in it and scavenge the parts from it. All years from 1987 through today use the exact same parts so there are plenty of these kick start mechanisms out there if you look hard enough. You can also find an old XT225 that has the kit and retrofit it to the TW engine. There could be other options like the BW 200 that might transfer as well.

The least desirable option is to go to your local Yamaha dealer and buy all the individual parts because that would cost a small fortune by the time you get it all together. That is how I got one of my kits and it cost a little over $325 even with the dealer giving me a break on some of the parts. Back when the kits were still a stock item you could buy them for between $150-200. The last number I heard from Bay Area was closer to $300 delivered if you waited. Check with member Placerload here to see if he still has any kits left and what he gets for one or go find a dead motor. These parts get very little wear and tear since most TWs still use the electric start 99% of the time unless your battery dies. IMO, I would not own a TW that did not have a kicker on it but that is just my personal feelings. Based on this alone any dead TW engine with the kicker should be worth $300 just for those salvageable parts.

GaryL
    Leisure Time Larry and Mel like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Got my kicker parts from Boat.net.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfrider View Post
    Got my kicker parts from Boat.net.
    But when did you get them and what was the total cost with shipping?

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links