Seeking direction on a TW purchase
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Seeking direction on a TW purchase

Seeking direction on a TW purchase

I just joined this "online" family last week in the midst of researching the TW200 as a viable option for a first-time bike purchase. I've spent hours reading the various posts and appreciate everyone's knowledge and willingness to share information on a wide variety of topics!

I live in the Metro Detroit area and all of the dealerships I visit over the weekend have flooded the showroom floors with sleds and essentially told me to check back in the spring. Although I was initially set on getting a new model year, I am now looking at older models through CL and eBay and came across two biked currently for sale in my area. That being said, I have no reference point to determine if the asking prices are air an in-line with regional/market averages. I am unable to send links as my score is too low so I've cut/paste info from the original ads as reference. Any help, direction, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

#1 - 2001 - $2200 firm - 12,565 miles
    (Posted on Craigslist in Grand Rapids, MI)
    I'm selling my TW200 because i bought it to learn to ride on. I just bought the FZ 07! This is a great bike to learn on, for dirt or the road since it's street legal. I love it and wish i could keep it, but i just have too many toys with insurance.
    She's got 12,565 miles. A windshield, pro taper handle bars, pillow top grips, Cycra handle bar guards, a procycle fender eliminator, and some cheap mirrors that just looked way better than the goony stock ones.All the stock parts are here and you can have them if you'd like them. This bike has electric start and fires up no problem whatsoever. New chain, new sprockets, battery, new spark plug, new fuel filter all in April 2017. This bike is completely ready to ride. I'll include my white helmet that i bought new in 2016, and even my really nice FOX riding jacket, and full armor chest, shoulders and arms. All in size medium. I'm 5'9, 150lbs it all fits perfect on those measurements. This bike is ready to ride with no problems at all! TW's are tons of fun and pretty much unstoppable! Price is firm!

#2 - 1999 - $2100 OBO - 3,000 miles
    (Posted on Craigslist in Livonia, MI)
    1999 Yamaha TW200 motorcycle
    Runs great, good tires, new Yamaha rear rack.
    Dual Sport perfect for off road and on road use.
    Just under 3000 miles. Owned for about 4 years.
    Selling because I barely ride.
    Come take it for a spin.
    Green clean title in hand.
    $2,100 or best.
    Newer battery but I can't get it to hold a charge.
    Thankfully this is still a model year with a kick-start.

My wife and I recently purchased property in Northern Michigan and it's either I land a bike by spring or she's putting the money towards a quad

Thank you in advance and I hope to be sharing some pics and stories in the near future.

-Christopher
    PlacerLode and maddawgj like this.

Welcome to the forum. Between the two, the low miler seems like a no brainer. Actually they both seem fairly priced. You really need to inspect them closely. And try not to rush, although it was hard for me when I was looking. We’ll watch for pictures and keep us posted on the hunt. Don’t let that battery issue scare you too much. Lots of good info here about batteries, ignition, and charging system. Cheers
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 11-26-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    maddawgj likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition

Welcome!!
    Badgerflorida and yerkins13! like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a 2002, 7100 miles, have done all of the mods and maintainence you will read about (carb, All Balls stearing bearings, new tires (Stock Rear, MT21 Front, new HD tubes) O-Ring Chain, Tusk Handgards, Pillow Grips, AGM Battery, Ride On in tires, valves last spring, Fork Oil last spring, Bar Risers, MSR Shifter. I would probably do the foot pegs as a final mod. Also use Bel Ray synthetic blend oil, changed every 500 miles or less. Just rode it last week (primarily used as an hunting ATV). Adding another bike soon, one has to go. I will take $2k cash and I am in Northville if interested. I don't really want to sell it, but I would like it to go to a forum memeber if I do. PM me if interested, I am in town and working from home this week.
    IMG_20171012_173143830.jpg
    IMG_20171012_173203177.jpg
    Last edited by Mattwings; 11-27-2017 at 04:51 AM.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

I own a 99 and a 15 and I personally would go for the 2001. #1 is the disc brake vs the lame drum on the front of the 99. #2 Trip meter ...its like your gas gauge when you don't have a gas gauge. the 99 does not have one #3 thicker spokes #4 Better carburetor #5 more modern switches ( push to cancel signals vs having to center the switch, nicer horn button etc.) #6 Not sure at which year they switched but newer ones have hex head bolts as opposed those crappy J.I.S. (Philips) screws holding the side covers on the engine. #7 The 2001 has a few extras and sounds like its ready to go compared to the 99 which might be fine but if it needs a stator that can be expensive.
    The advantages I see to the 99 are the kick start and lower mileage.

In my case, if the 2002 was near me I would be picking it up as a 2 nd. bike for my wife or grandson to ride with me on sunny summer days.

The 2002 has 5400 miles less than the 2001 and is $200 cheaper and also has had several mods already done.. But then appearance counts for me personally and would be taken into account in determining how each has been treated and taken care of.

Good pictures to compare would probably be my deciding factor.

Besides I'm way bigger than the riding gear will fit thats being offered with the 2001, so that would also be omitted in making this choice.

Gene
    Last edited by excalibur; 11-27-2017 at 12:53 AM.
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

Thanks for "keeping an eye out" and for the reminder to not rush a purchase. It's definitely hard (once receiving the green light from my wife) to remember that the Michigan winters are long and I have plenty of time to research/compare before spring rolls around...
    Last edited by yerkins13!; 11-27-2017 at 11:30 AM.

You can ride here usually until Mid December (on certain days) and I always get a few days in March, so it is about a 3 to 4 month layup, depending, for me. I do keep a couple bikes down here (have a place "Up North") for the odd 45 degree day mid winter. As long as the roads are clear, I will run down and check the hunting property a few miles from me. I go back and forth on potentially selling, so just let me know if you want to take a look. Actually, you can come check it out, even if it's just to compare or get ideas. I am on the fence picking up a DR400 this week for my son, at that point, I would have to take something to the pole barn, but probably the DR350. One garage has a little more space than the other. My truck already lives outside so my hunting gear and motorcycles have a good home

FB_IMG_1492830074535.jpgFile_000.jpeg
    Last edited by Mattwings; 11-27-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    littletommy and yerkins13! like this.
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200

@Mattwings - I'd definitely like to take you up on the offer to come by and take a look at the TW (or at the very least, to pick your brain). Admittedly, I'm new to the game so any and all information is welcome. My wife and I recently purchased a couple of cabins in Prescott (after my family sold our 250+ acre property in Gladwin) and getting back on a trail bike after several years is at the top of my shopping list...ahead of my wife's snowmobile, my daughter's quad, and my son's aluminum boat desires
    littletommy and maddawgj like this.

That "barn" is about 15 miles East of Gladwin, probably 30 miles from Prescott? We have a family cottage, my uncle has another cottage and around 20 acres on the Titabawasee river. Sent a pm with my contact details.
    littletommy and maddawgj like this.
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links