TW225 Countershaft Extension for XT - TTR etc 6 speed Big Bore Conversions - Page 23
Close

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Like Tree447Likes

Thread: TW225 Countershaft Extension for XT - TTR etc 6 speed Big Bore Conversions

WHERE DO WE SIGN UP TO COME RIDE WITH YOU?!?!?! Awesome trails!!!!

[QUOTE=Fred;1017674]With a couple of 40 to 60 mile rides to get out to these trails per week the miles really add up...toss in a few Group Rides with you crazies like to Death Valley, Alabama Hills, Idaho, Moab, & the Sweetwaters plus a few solo trips like over Ebbetts Pass & misc Sierra single tracks and the 2,000 mile estimate seems realistic.
    13 x 55 sprockets spinning a 26" ATV tire means the greater dynamic range imparted by the 6-speed and additional torque creates a trail focused machine; my comfortable top speed is still around 55 but I have hit 75 briefly downhill being chased by storm clouds.

Easy trail like this are usually done in 2nd or 3rd gears with only occasional dips into 1st gear.
    Hidden Content 2016-TDUB • Built Suspension • LED Headlamp • FMF Powercore4 • Skid Plate • *fifteen/49 sprockets • EVO Air Footpegs • KX High (108mm) bars •1-1/8 Bar Risers • Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards • 714 Soft Touch Rally Grips • 241 Front Tire • Rear Rack • Front Rack

Finished my swap and have a few hundred miles down so far. Other than a pretty beat donor motor, everything else went great. Happy with it and will be looking for another donor motor with low miles.
    Fred likes this.
    1991 TW200

Just wondering what some of you guys are running for gearing?
    1991 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

13 x 55 w/ 26" Terracross TV tire.
    First is mighty low and carries me up and over the nasties just fine but most trail work is done in second or third gear. As such I can occasionally find myself a gear too high when conditions deteriorate and either struggle in second or miss a downshift and end up in neutral loosing precious momentum.
    On the other end of the speed spectrum using 6th is a newfound thrill.
    Other day after I ripped off my foot peg had another 64 miles of road riding to get back to camp, mostly hi speed twisty back roads. I told the gang to go on ahead as I would take my time "safely" with foot atop engine cover. Well, the added power and dynamic range of the 6-speed 223cc motor allowed me to leave Betty Boop in either 5th or 6th and hang right with my 250cc riding companions. Occasionally I led. Fortunately very little shifting was required since moving foot from atop engine to gear lever and back was a little convoluted and time consuming.
    Interestingly enough bike cornered very well flat out once I climbed the learning curve of managing things with my foot atop flywheel cover. You don't have to worry about scrapping a foot peg when leaned over if the peg is safely stored on the CycleRack. Maybe everyone should try removing their foot pegs for extreme canyon carving.
    CJ7Pilot, joeband, Mel and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I must admit that I and most likely other users might be happier with less mountain goat gearing dropping the overall drive ratio a good 10% or more.
    While coming off the La Sal mountain snowline this spring on a Group Ride I and some other cotton-clad riders had to beat feet back to camp to avoid a rain-squall blowing through. Pushing hard on a steep downhill likely with a tailwind I touched an indicated 75mph. While I backed off with the realization that my tire and gear weren't rated for those speeds I did realize that the countershaft extension on a bigger 6-speed really opens up the potential of our TWs.
    As such geared up the TW could become safer & more competitive for those with highway commutes or longer distance cruising.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Sponosred Links