2006 TW200 Fuel Tank
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZacoWacko

Thread: 2006 TW200 Fuel Tank

2006 TW200 Fuel Tank

***SOLD******

I swapped out my tank for an XT gas tank and i'm puttin up my TW tank to recoup some cost on my 225 build, lol. Figured i'd give the TW guys a chance before puttin it up on ebay.

Some history on the tank:
    When i bought the bike, the tank had some pretty good surface rust going on, on the inside. The people that had it before me just used it when they took their RV places, so it probably sat with ethanol gas in it for good stretches of time. No rust holes , deep rust, or leaks but me being the anal person i am... I decided to derust it before it could get any worse.

I removed the tank and filled it with evaporust. It removed probably 98% percent of the rust and probably would have got all of it if i let it set longer. I then flushed it with water as the directions said and proceeded to blow dry out the inside. Come back 20mins later and the fresh bare metal is starting to flash rust, so i immediately filled it with gas and put it into service. Rode with it for several months and it never got any worse and some of the flash rust eventually started to dissipate. So i had no doubts this tank would last me another 20 years with fresh 100% gas, keeping it topped off, and Sta-bil added for any stretches of non riding. I have tanks that are much worse that have lasted with this procedure, lol.

Anyway, cut to my 225 6 speed obsession. I find a ttr225 and a xt225 to use for eventual motor builds. Well i start to see people adding the XT tanks to their bikes and decide to give it a try on mine and turns out it looks pretty good and i get 1/2 gallon more. It ends up having worse rust on the inside so i try the same formula as above. Except, this time after the water rinse, i proceed to flush it out with a can of WD40 to displace the water and hopefully give it a protective coating from the flash rust. I let it set several days before i can get to it and there is barely any flash rust. I rinse it out a few times with a couple gallons of gas to get rid of the WD40 and put it into service with no effects to bike performance.

Well being the anal person i am, lol, i decide to give the TW tank another treatment of evaporust, to try the same formula as above and get rid of any remaining flash rust. I followed the same procedure with a final rinse of WD40, with only some slight discoloration in some spots from dried wd40, that seems to go away when wiped with gas. Its been a few days of 100 plus degree heat and there has been very very little flash rusting. Like i said, they way i take care of the gas in my bikes, this tank could easily last me another 20 years.

Sorry for the long history lesson guys, i just wanted full disclosure on this tank, lol.

On the inside shot of the tank, you can see the marbled look, were the rust was and is now gone. You can also see the black discoloration from the dried wd40. This discoloration only appears to be in that spot for some reason, but i can also wipe it clean with a rag and gas. Anyways, the marbled look was mainly in this spot and around the filler neck for some reason. The sides of the tank are smooth bare metal. Not sure why the rust concentrated on the hump and neck, but my XT tank was the same way.

There is no dents in the tank and the paint is in pretty great condition. There are only a couple small scratches, i tried to show the best i could in the below pics. I kept the petcock to use on my XT tank and the fuel cap, so it will need a new one of those, as well.

Well, i now realize i just wrote a short story for this fuel tank, lol. But, feel free to ask any questions and thanks for enduring my story time

$150 sound like a fair price...?

20180723_203857.jpg20180723_203847.jpg20180723_203902.jpg20180723_203909.jpg20180723_203924.jpg20180723_203844.jpg20180723_203934.jpg20180723_203939.jpg20180723_204145.jpg
    Last edited by ZacoWacko; 08-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Purple likes this.

nice looking tank can you clarify is you are saying it does have dents or that it does not have dents ?

I think you meant it has no dents but you used the word "now" so just checking thanks
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Nice tank if it has no dents! Internal flash rusting is pretty much unavoidable with this ethanol gas we are forced to use. After a deep cleaning with various rust removal chemicals it is near impossible to not get flash over rusting as soon as you dry the tank inside. I used 2 cycle engine oil in my tank and poured in a quart and sloshed it all around ten let it drip out from the petcock holes. The worst that could happen is it might run a little rich for the first full tank but the 2 cycle oil will mix with gas just fine and do no damage. There are also a number of decent epoxy inside coatings you can use but they are a bear to get right unless you prep the inside nearly perfect before the process.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    nice looking tank can you clarify is you are saying it does have dents or that it does not have dents ?

I think you meant it has no dents but you used the word "now" so just checking thanks
    Yes, no dents, lol. Got to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Nice tank if it has no dents! Internal flash rusting is pretty much unavoidable with this ethanol gas we are forced to use. After a deep cleaning with various rust removal chemicals it is near impossible to not get flash over rusting as soon as you dry the tank inside. I used 2 cycle engine oil in my tank and poured in a quart and sloshed it all around ten let it drip out from the petcock holes. The worst that could happen is it might run a little rich for the first full tank but the 2 cycle oil will mix with gas just fine and do no damage. There are also a number of decent epoxy inside coatings you can use but they are a bear to get right unless you prep the inside nearly perfect before the process.

GaryL
    The 2cycle oil is a good thought. I didnt think of that. Been pretty impressed with the wd40 treatment in stopping/lessening the flash rust. It did pretty good to displace the water and coat the tank before it could really start to rust. I started blasting it with WD40 right after the water rinse. The little straw is helpful too, to be able to insert it into the tank and blast it all around. On my XT tank, i let it set for like a week with just the WD40 coating and when i was ready to put it back on the bike, i just did a couple flushes with 100% gas. Gallon or so, slosh it all around, dump and repeat. It seemed to remove most all of the WD40. I then immediately filled it with 100% gas (before it could dry) and have been impressed with the results so far. TW tank is sitting with the WD40 coating and i am keeping an eye on it to see if it starts flash rusting at any point. If so, i will look at the 2 cycle oil route or something else.

I dont like those coatings. I'm sure they are great, but i have seen too many flake off at some point and become a nightmare.

I am lucky that in my town 3/4 of the gas stations sell 100% gas and even have their own pump, so no cross contamination.

I have 70 and 80 model tanks (ATC's and bikes), that i cleaned years ago. They havent rusted any further using 100% gas and Sta-bil, for long storage stretches. I try to keep them topped off too, if they are going to sit for any length of time.

I've actually have been really impressed at how they have not rusted any further. I've had some of them 25 years. Its really opened my eyes to how ethanol can trash a bike so quickly, if it sits for more than a couple weeks. And also, how well Sta-bil does at keeping it running year after year and water out. I've had no issue running 1 year or older fuel that was treated with Sta-bil. I even retreated some that was over a year old and it kept burning well, to my surprise. This was in a spare atc i rarely road and didnt mind experimenting on. It had been pretty beaten on when i was a kid. But its a Honda and keeps on a chuggin.

Is this still available? If so, what would it cost to ship to 32040?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbear View Post
    Is this still available? If so, what would it cost to ship to 32040?

Thanks,
    I'll get it weighed tonight and let ya know. Thanks

Sponosred Links