Pre 2001 Carb Rebuild Service
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Pre 2001 Carb Rebuild Service

Pre 2001 Carb Rebuild Service

I've got an older carb that needs a rebuild. It was disassembled and cleaned by the previous owner but it doesn't operate properly. I don't know a whole lot about carbuerstors and would rather just know its done right.

Anyone here have the experience and tools to take it on or know someone who does?

I do understand what you are attempting to get done but it could be an effort in futility. Follow along if you can. In my opinion the only parts I would use in an old style carb are pure Yamaha OEM ones. Others have had success with after market rebuild kits but not me. Buying all the internal OEM parts will add up quick and could easily surpass the $100 mark. Also and for some mysterious reason not all carbs can be cleaned and rebuilt to function correctly anyway. It is possible that inside the carb there is a passageway blocked or some other undetectable issue that could give you fits trying to figure out. Then there is also the shipping back and forth to a member plus the shipping for all the parts to the rebuilder and still no guaranty the carb will function well in the end. It is a complete PITA removing and installing carbs from the get go and if your connection boots called Joints are stiff or in poor condition you will never get a complete air tight seal which is imperative with these carbs.
    The last time I bought a brand new OEM carb it cost about $265 and I installed it after removing the pilot screw plug and setting that screw to 2.25 turns out from bottom. The carb performed perfect as long as the seals on both sides were tight. No more headaches and I never had to take it off again. This of course depends upon all other possibilities such as the petcock being blocked or junk in the tank and even garbage ethanol fuel being used. Those who enjoy messing around with intricate carbs will certainly disagree here but for those who are not proficient in these matters I highly recommend you just buy a new carb and be done with it. Put the old carb in the classified or on the auction site and let someone else deal with it and the price you get can offset some of the cost of the new carb.
    I could rebuild your existing carb easy enough but I can't guaranty it will ever work right so I won't get involved. There are a lot of members here who know these carbs inside and out but it will surprise me if any of them take on this challenge. On my very first 1991 TW I paid the Yamaha shop mechanic $125 in parts and labor to fix my carb. After 3 attempts he became completely disgusted and just told me to buy a new carb and never, ever use ethanol fuel in the bike again.

GaryL
    jbfla, Peterb, TopPredator and 2 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

GaryL is right. $265 is not much to spend to eliminate ALL carb problems. However, I must have lucked out. I rebuilt my '95 carb over 2000 miles ago with OEM jets, etc. But, before doing so I soaked it in the old "dunk it" carb cleaner for a day or two. Caution: Remove all plastic and/or rubber parts or this stuff will make them disappear.

After installation I ALWAYS run SeaFoam or StarTron in every tank. And, yes, I run 87 octane ethanol gas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just did a little searching at Partzilla. Funny findings because to the best of my knowledge all the non cali. carbs from 1987 through 2000 are virtually the same, Old Style, is what we call them. There could be some minor internal changes in these old carbs through the years but they all fit and work fine on any bike from 1987-2000. Partzilla lists the 1999 and 2000 carbs as unavailable but very much available in other lower years like 1987-1998. They charge $273 now for the old style carbs. New style carbs from 2001 up can also be used on any TW however the intake and engine side boots or joints must also be changed and the throttle cables rerouted. I too have rebuilt a few with perfect results and a couple that just refused to work right. I have soaked the bare bodies in Berrymann's carb cleaner for a few days and then ran them through a number of cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner using pinesol and simple green to get them as clean as new. All new internal parts direct from Yamaha and I just can't say why some work great and some never will.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    The Chinese clone carbs on the auction site for $40-45 work very well - ask me how I know.
    You probably need a new intake boot and rerouting of the throttle cables to the opposite side (not any problem at all), but that is a lot cheaper than $300 for an OEM carb.
    jbfla likes this.

YBW GarryL has good advice just like the PM I sent you. You have no idea how many members have posted on that carb. It was also rebuilt by a professional according to Kim and it’s still junk.

Don’t waste another dollar on it.
    jbfla and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Yeah at this point I think a rebuild is out... I just need to decide if I'm going to get an eBay carb or OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by YBW View Post
    Yeah at this point I think a rebuild is out... I just need to decide if I'm going to get an eBay carb or OEM.
    Get the OEM so you don’t have to be dicking around with the aftermarket installation.

Get it reliable and join us in Green Ridge next year.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Problem solved! Bought a used OEM carb and a whole bike came with it. Only cost me $100 more than a new OEM.
    TopPredator, GaryL, elime and 1 others like this.

I will try to fix a carb once if it still has bugs I buy a new carb and sell the old carb as-is on ebay for $150 they usually sell fast and easy so my fix is aprx $100 and I have a 100% new carb

I'd say about 1 in 10 has bugs maybe 1 in 4 on the old style carbs

I have used the old dunk style cleaner aand they work well but I still have one old style carb that had bugs after dunk and ultrasonic cleaning

I keep a 15 gallon Jegs gas can full of non ethanol fuel so once TW's get to my house they never ingest ethanol while I own them and I always tell people to feed their TW's non ethanol these get fantastic fuel mileage so even though farm gas is sometimes $4.50 per gallon it's still worth it IMO
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links