I just picked up a used kickstarter for $50, did I pay too much?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: I just picked up a used kickstarter for $50, did I pay too much?

I just picked up a used kickstarter for $50, did I pay too much?

Oh, I forgot to mention - it also came with a few extra parts.

I offered him $100 for it, but he was able to talk me down to $50, he just wanted to get rid of it. The tank is rusted through, the plastics are cracked and brittle, the engine and carb are heavily oxidized, but the engine kicks over fine and seems to have good compression. All he knew about the history of the bike was that it lost spark and then sat for many years under a tree.

No title and since it is an oddball 1987 bike, it is not worth it to me to try and get it running. May just try and flip it locally as is and make a few nickels on it. But, if someone here really, really wants or needs something they see on this bike, let me know and I may be willing part it out.

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

Brian, since you gave me a kickstarter and a bunch of other stuff I feel I have a debt of honor to be repaid. Would you like a gas tank from an '03 or '06 TW200 to help get that beast back on the road? How about some low mileage tires front and rear? Looking for an excuse to meet up again with one of the forum's better and more helpful members and go ride over our heads some where together again.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-11-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

YBW
    Nice! I hate it when I'm trying to buy people's stuff and they keep talking me down. I picked this '93 up a little over a week ago for $400, but it was running and a California model to boot (which is only cool because I bought it on the eastern shore). If you end up parting it out, I could use a front fender. I thought I didn't really need one till I rode through some wet grass and got sprayed in the face. If we need to add more parts to justify shipping costs I could use a few other things. Just PM me if you decide to tear her down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Fred, but I don't have the interest in investing the time, effort and expense in resurrecting this bike. It is too far gone for me.

I am trying to decide whether to just flip it quickly to recoup my investment plus a little more, or to part it out. There is much more value in the wheels, swingarm, forks and engine but these parts are also a pain and expensive to ship. If someone really, really wants or needs something from this bike then I'll try and give them a good deal, otherwise it will go on craigslist or eBay.

I have already reached an agreement on a pretty nice 2003 with a blown top end (if the guy can now just find the title for it). Since I've already got a TW engine available, I could put that in it and have a licensed runner in a weekend. Or, if Placerlode is able to some shaft extensions made, then I've got an XT225 6-speed engine that I could also put in over a weekend. I would much rather spend my time with one of these options.

Summer is slipping away way too fast, but I would definitely be interested in a nice leisurely tour of some those nice lakes you keep tempting us with.
    Joemama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by YBW View Post
    Nice! I hate it when I'm trying to buy people's stuff and they keep talking me down. I picked this '93 up a little over a week ago for $400, but it was running and a California model to boot (which is only cool because I bought it on the eastern shore). If you end up parting it out, I could use a front fender. I thought I didn't really need one till I rode through some wet grass and got sprayed in the face. If we need to add more parts to justify shipping costs I could use a few other things. Just PM me if you decide to tear her down.
    YBW, I've got fender for you so PM me with your address. Do you want me to throw in an emissions canister so you can keep your '93 California compliant?

I'll take the rear rack if it's in good enough condition and you want to part with it.
    TW-Brian likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

If you part it out, I could use the rear fender/brake light/license plate mount. If YBW doesn't want the canister, I'd be interested in that as well.

If there were paperwork, I'd make an offer on the whole thing. I've got a friend looking for a titled CA frame.
    TW-Brian likes this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Brian, a few of us are going to ride in Sierra Buttes this weekend. However anticipating somewhat challenging conditions I only invited a few "Easy Trail" resistant buddies. Many Beautiful lakes separated by some fairly ugly roads is the plan.
    TW-Brian and Purple like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

What would it cost to ship that bike complete to me? That would be a good base to start my long range TW build. I hate tearing apart a nice bike when I know I'm going to replace all the plastics, fuel tank, and most of the engine.

Well, it looks like I will be parting this puppy out so let me know what you want/need. Everything except the wheels, swingarm, forks/triples and engine is available for the cost of shipping plus a small donation to my beer fund. Feel free to make me an offer on the wheels, swingarm, forks/triples or engine.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I'll take the rear rack if it's in good enough condition and you want to part with it.
    Admiral, the rack appears to still be solid but could use a few minutes of skilled hammering and some spray paint. It's yours if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7Pilot View Post
    If you part it out, I could use the rear fender/brake light/license plate mount. If YBW doesn't want the canister, I'd be interested in that as well.

If there were paperwork, I'd make an offer on the whole thing. I've got a friend looking for a titled CA frame.
    CJ, the rear fender/brakelight/license plate mount is yours once I pull it off and make sure that it is functional. And I am sure that I have a spare emissions canister that I can send you.

Also, I already have two TW frames that I started the lien sale process on a few years ago in order to get California titles for them. This will give me an incentive to dig up the paperwork and finish that process. I will let you know when/if I am successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links