99 4Runner 2.7 2WD -- $5,000
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 99 4Runner 2.7 2WD -- $5,000

Angry 99 4Runner 2.7 2WD -- $5,000

EDIT: This is in large part an angry rant (sorry...), but honestly, at this point, I might well entertain offers.

100 percent IMMACULATE/FLAWLESS...EXCEPT for the parking brake, which is 100 percent GARBAGE, and 100 percent IMPOSSIBLE to fix. I replaced EVERY SINGLE REAR BRAKE COMPONENT, INCLUDING THE CABLES, with BRAND NEW PARTS, adjusted everything correctly...parking brake still WILL NOT WORK right, no matter what you do. It simply does not, and will not, ever work correctly, period.

Every other component on the entire vehicle is and has been flawless, but I'm not driving around with a piece of fucking garbage set of rear brakes that were designed by Toyota for the sole purpose of adding a slight increase to engine load under normal driving conditions, when the brake is fully applied. Guess they wanted to simulate the wear and tear on the vehicle of towing a couple thousand pounds. Guess Toyota thought that would be funny. Maybe earn them some extra repairs when the vehicles brake down more frequently because of the minor increase in normal operating stresses. These brakes have been restored to 100 percent factory original condition and were properly adjusted, yet do not and will not work.

If you can't tell, I'm just A LITTLE...just...SLIGHTLY UPSET...just a.................................MINOR IRRITATION.

Okay. Bye.
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-14-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Ok don't yell at me cause I'm just trying to help but did you 1. back off the parking brake completely. 2. adjust the rear brakes then 3. adjust the parking brake.

Just park it on a hill facing Colorado and leave the title in the seat. I'll send funds when it rolls into the state
    Peterb, Dryden-Tdub and Purple like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am not familiar with the 1999 4 Runner but suspect it is close to other Toyota systems. The rear brakes are a disc/drum rotor. Disc for braking and drum for parking. In the rotor there is a hole that must align with the star adjuster at the bottom of the parking brakes drum system. I had one hell of a time getting the rear drum/rotors off because of the ridge that formed on the inner edge. Even with the adjuster star completely relieved I still had to beat the rotors off to replace them. The shoes were not worn at all as is normal with drum parking brakes but the rotor drum itself was pretty rusted because I never use the parking brake at all. The disc pads and disc rotors were shot so it all had to be replaced. After I installed the new rotor with the drum I had to then adjust the parking brake star adjuster which was not an easy affair with an all wheel drive vehicle since the rear wheels do not spin freely. I don't know if on a 2 wheel drive vehicle the wheels do spin. I suspect your issue is in this star adjuster not being adjusted out far enough to force good contact shoes to drum when the parking brake is applied. Actually I could be talking out of my rear not knowing what system of brakes they use on a 1999 2 wheel drive 4 runner. Mine is a 2016 4 wheel drive and could be completely different.

GaryL
    kj7687 likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I'd convert the rear to disc brakes and throw the parking brake in the garbage. I drive a F150 with a 5speed manual. The one thing you NEVER do in WI is touch the parking brake. With the salt and corrosion it will stick tight and your not going anyplace.

So we just learn to drive and park accordingly. Not a big deal after awhile.

GM Disk Brake Conversion for Toyota Axles
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Ok don't yell at me cause I'm just trying to help but did you 1. back off the parking brake completely. 2. adjust the rear brakes then 3. adjust the parking brake.

Thank you for the suggestion. Already done, though. Exactly what I did, more than once to make sure... I even replaced the brake shoes a second time and installed brand new drums (first time was with resurfaced original drums...which should have worked fine...). There is no logical explanation that I can see as to why these simply do not work. Everything was done correctly as far as I could tell, and there is just absolutely no reason that it should not work perfectly, but it doesn't... In all my years of seeing weird/stupid issues while working on cars and bikes, I think this might just top it all. The really stupid thing is that it doesn't even seem to matter what I've done in terms of adjustment. After having them not work when they should have been working great, I started screwing around with them in all different manners, trying to see anything that might help, out of desperation. It actually behaves as though the whole car is possessed by Satan himself. I can get it so tight that I can't physically pull the cable more than 6 clicks up, even as hard as I can pull with both arms, and it still won't work. At the same time, I have had it so that the car will not physically reverse up my driveway at full throttle because the applied parking brake is stopping it, yet even in that conditon, it won't hold the vehicle from rolling down the driveway/won't lock up the wheels under FULL parking brake application, still just very SLOWLY rolls to a stop when you RIP that brake lever up........ This whole thing is just so insane that I am seriously starting to lose my shit here. I feel I have no choice at this point but to either sell the vehicle (as I have done in the past when I've encountered something I could not fix, although if I'd put as much effort in to that as I have this...who knows, but I digress), or try taking it to a mechanic somewhere. I REALLY hate the idea of paying someone else to fix something that I can't do by myself no matter how much or how hard I try. Anyway, sorry for all the melodrama here. I've been through that whole brake system multiple times and spent MANY hours screwing around with it, all to absolutely no avail.

I guess I could do as someone suggested and convert to disc brakes. I have thought about doing that, actually. Sigh.
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I'd convert the rear to disc brakes and throw the parking brake in the garbage. I drive a F150 with a 5speed manual. The one thing you NEVER do in WI is touch the parking brake. With the salt and corrosion it will stick tight and your not going anyplace.

So we just learn to drive and park accordingly. Not a big deal after awhile.

GM Disk Brake Conversion for Toyota Axles

This is kind of what my brother suggested: just drive it (that's kind of his go-to answer for my car problems, LOL...). I just don't like the idea of having no way of reliably stopping the vehicle should the excellent FRONT brakes ever somehow fail...in an emergency. I have not read up on a conversion, but maybe I will. Would still be able to have a parking brake/e-brake with the conversion? hmm.
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I am not familiar with the 1999 4 Runner but suspect it is close to other Toyota systems. The rear brakes are a disc/drum rotor. Disc for braking and drum for parking. In the rotor there is a hole that must align with the star adjuster at the bottom of the parking brakes drum system. I had one hell of a time getting the rear drum/rotors off because of the ridge that formed on the inner edge. Even with the adjuster star completely relieved I still had to beat the rotors off to replace them. The shoes were not worn at all as is normal with drum parking brakes but the rotor drum itself was pretty rusted because I never use the parking brake at all. The disc pads and disc rotors were shot so it all had to be replaced. After I installed the new rotor with the drum I had to then adjust the parking brake star adjuster which was not an easy affair with an all wheel drive vehicle since the rear wheels do not spin freely. I don't know if on a 2 wheel drive vehicle the wheels do spin. I suspect your issue is in this star adjuster not being adjusted out far enough to force good contact shoes to drum when the parking brake is applied. Actually I could be talking out of my rear not knowing what system of brakes they use on a 1999 2 wheel drive 4 runner. Mine is a 2016 4 wheel drive and could be completely different.

GaryL

That's the thing...the normal things people are suggesting here SHOULD make my brakes work...but they don't After initially doing a "normal" adjustment of the star-adjusters (very slight clearance between shoe and drum) two or three different times, I ultimately just tried to see what would happen trying different things; one of the things I tried was adjusting the star-adjuster ALL the way out, so that I couldn't even turn them anymore because it was so tight. The brakes still would not work right at all/still all screwed up. I feel like a crazy person even typing this stuff, because it definitely does not sound right. My '04 GMC Sierra has the brake system you described (disc/drum for normal braking/parking brake, respectively); I went through that with new shoes and an adjustment and it works perfectly (although, granted, I have not tried to stop the truck with that while moving...I daren't even try, LOL. It does hold the vehicle on a hill just fine when pushed less than half way in, and the parking brake pedal feels nice and tight). The 4Runner just has drums.
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-15-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Here is an interesting quote that I read about when reading about disc brake conversions (I also read some comments saying that is just not worth the high cost and intense effort, and that it is problematic, itself):

"3rd gens tend to eat through rotors. The guy I talked to at EBC told me this is because the rear drums basically do nothing. Now, I don't know if he is fully correct or not. But he certainly did SEEM to know his stuff. The front handles like 75%~ of braking right? He made it sound like with the 3rd gen rear drums, the fronts are taking more like 90%. (drum to disc brake conversion - Page 2 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum -- post #20)" (bold font added by me, for emphasis...).

I have basically reached the same conclusion. I was sort of "half serious"...with myself, in concluding that Toyota built these vehicles from the factory without functioning rear drum brakes, since, as I mentioned, my rear brake system has been restored to 100 percent factory original condition...exactly as if it had just rolled off of the showroom floor, and yet... It seems I am not alone. Maybe this is just how it's gonna be with this brake setup...maybe that's legitimately just how it is: one of the all time worst-performing rear brake systems in all of automotive history...time to sell??? I don't know if I should waste time and money paying someone else to do everything I have already done and tell me that my brakes are working normally. Sigh.
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-15-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

The really shitty part about this is that I just put a whole lot of time and money $$$$$ into this vehicle. I know the engine and trans are capable of 300k+ miles...that's why I rebuilt the entire front end on it this summer (inner and outer tie rod ends, upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, stabilizer bar bushings and link-bars, brake hoses, brake discs, brake pads, front and rear shocks...alignment done). Now I'll be honestly very lucky if I can manage to get $5,000 out of it. More likely closer to $3,500. 180k miles on it... Absolutely HUGE loss here. HUGE! But that is life. Cut my losses and move on to the next one, I guess.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links