Wanted: Tool kit: Buy or Trade
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wanted: Tool kit: Buy or Trade

Wanted: Tool kit: Buy or Trade

OK, I need a factory tool kit for my 2014.
    I think the cat ate mine.
    Or my Ol' Lady sold it in a garage sale, not sure.

Or just suggestions on what to carry...minimal, basics.
    Don't need trail tools or tire tools.
    Want to be able to squeeze it into that little cubby-hole mine disappeared from.

It took me a year to piece together a good road tool kit for my '59 MGA ...don't want to go through that again!

Thanks!
    Ken and admiral like this.
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    OK, I need a factory tool kit for my 2014.
    I think the cat ate mine.
    Or my Ol' Lady sold it in a garage sale, not sure.

Or just suggestions on what to carry...minimal, basics.
    Don't need trail tools or tire tools.
    Want to be able to squeeze it into that little cubby-hole mine disappeared from.

It took me a year to piece together a good road tool kit for my '59 MGA ...don't want to go through that again!

Thanks!
    I want to see pics of your MGA.....I've owned two but sold many years ago...the first never driven, was a basket case. One was a 1500 the basket case was a Mk-II 1600. I love classic foreign cars; my dad was a foreign car mechanic and I grew up hanging around his shop so really have a soft spot in my heart for those old cars. Sorry I sold my last MGA but it need a new clutch yoke and sat for many years....never was a priority to fix so finally sold when I was moving across the country.
    Ken and Darth like this.
    Currently enjoying a great mix...
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post

Thanks!
    Is an extra engine and electrical harness included in the MGA tool Kit? Ha.

I was able to eventually find a used tool kit on-line that was missing from my 2006 TW. I think I paid $20.00 for it. But almost if not all individual pieces are included in many other Yamaha's, not all of them but the basic ones.

I am piecing together a kit via Babbits on-line right now for a 1991 xr250L. Originaly came with the thinest body spark-plug puller/socket that no other Honda kit will fit. And you'd have to take a regular socket to a grinding wheel to possibly make it slide on. For this bike I'm buying the kit one piece at a time, it's vintage.

I had a 1960 MGA 1600. Was my uncles who, when he returned back from Vietnam gave it to me when he moved up to a Jaguar "E Type".
    This was my very first car at 16 and I drove it home to NJ from Indiana. Just over the PA. - NJ border the front drivers wheel assembly buckled and the whole thing slid under the car. Thankfully my folks were following me in their own car and we had it towed to a local MG dealer. This was 1972 so yeah, there still were MG (and Triumph, Jag, Austin...) dealers actually still around. in fact most of the British auto makers made a last ditch stab at survival with Govt. help forming British Leyland. A circling of the wagons before, the inevitable end.

This first disaster was perhaps a premiere of what was to come with this car, have a book of stories that are too long to tell. But when it was running and sorted out there was no feel or drive like it. The best and worst car I ever owned. When I sold it 10 years later (I think for $1600.00) it was like selling a boat, your saddest and happiest day. I did bump back into other British cars over the years, a few MGB's and a Triumph Spitfire. But the "A" was in a place by itself, especially in my heart. Restored one's nowadays are $15,000.00 to $20,000. I'm glad I don't own it (or any Brit car or old Brit bike) now. But when I go to a car show or cruise nite I'm always in awe and drawn to them and their owners. Know what most of them have to do to keep them going. They are probably better than when they came out of the factory.
    Last edited by stagewex; 09-29-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Darth, dette, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey, Dette!

Thanks for the MGA shout out. Later I'll post up more in the Off-Topic section so nobody gets their knickers in a twist.
    Have to leave for a while now...

dette, Tuber, Peterb and 4 others like this.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

You can buy a new Yamaha O.E.M. tool kit for $29.74 at Rocky Mountain mc/atv. The part number is 5vc-28100-00-00 if you look this up on Rocky Mountains Web site its under the frame section. Shipping is $7.00 unless you spend over $75.00 then shipping is free.

I bought 2 brand new tool kits from a local going out of business dealer a while back and paid $30 for each. Might be the reason he was going out of business was because he swiped the toll kits out of every bike he sold to re sell them to the new owner as some sort of optional accessory.
    Stagewex, I would not be surprised if the kits I bought came out of your bike and the XT225 I bought when IO got your TW in the deal. Both bikes sold by this same dealer and neither had tool kits in them from new. I also bought an XT225 tool kit with the storage box that mounts to the rear sub frame.

GaryL
    Darth likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The cat did it. Awesome MGA
    Darth likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My stock tool kit was also missing when I bought my bike "Slightly used".

I went with a set of metric tools put together by "Cruise Tools". They roll up in their own pouch which I keep on the bike in a Rigid short Case I picked up at Home Depot for I think $28 dollars. The tool kit itself was not cheap ( I think about $90.00 ) but I got it at 20-25% off at my local HD / Triumph dealer on sale last fall,. The tools are quality, and look to be very complete ( minus tire tools ) having ( I think ?? ) everything there including Tie Wire for most needed Road Repairs.

I carry the same Brand kit, but in "Standard" vrs: Metric for my Harley and have done so for years.

Now, l'm looking to see if that " tool roll " will fit in one of the "tractor type" plastic tube type carriers that can be attached to my T-dub Clycle Racks rear rack ??

excalibur.
    Darth likes this.
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    My stock tool kit was also missing when I bought my bike "Slightly used".

I went with a set of metric tools put together by "Cruise Tools". They roll up in their own pouch which I keep on the bike in a Rigid short Case I picked up at Home Depot for I think $28 dollars. The tool kit itself was not cheap ( I think about $90.00 ) but I got it at 20-25% off at my local HD / Triumph dealer on sale last fall,. The tools are quality, and look to be very complete ( minus tire tools ) having ( I think ?? ) everything there including Tie Wire for most needed Road Repairs.

I carry the same Brand kit, but in "Standard" vrs: Metric for my Harley and have done so for years.

Now, l'm looking to see if that " tool roll " will fit in one of the "tractor type" plastic tube type carriers that can be attached to my T-dub Clycle Racks rear rack ??

excalibur.
    Basically the stock tool kits are nothing short of Basic tools and designed for basic emergency repairs. I made up my own kit from quality tools I have on hand but of course they do not store away in the prescribed spot inside the electrical side cover. The on board kits are cheap tools and nothing more designed to get you out of a pickle while out and about. Certainly any owner could get a better quality set of tools to get you through right at Harbor Freight and for less than the stock kit costs from your dealer but again, they would not fit in the spot for the stock kits. The only tool in the stock kit that is really important is the JIS screw driver and a regular Philips head one will not do.

GaryL
    Peterb and Darth like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I have good tools for shop work...and lots of 'em!
    I've decided to assemble a "basic road-side emergency kit" using HF tools...the better ones, where available.
    Also looking for a canvass or plastic pouch to replace the lost stock one.

A big +1 on JIS screwdrivers! Found a great set of 2 sizes on-line for ~$12 - $13.00.
    They have a deeply knurled section for "spinning" screws in & out, a magnetized, nickle plated shaft, hardened tip and large, soft gripper handles.
    Made in Japan...NOT China!
    A bonus is that JIS drivers will work just fine on standard Phillips screws around the shop.

They also have a cheaper model, also by Vessel. Amazon free ship!

This is the model I have...
    https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-900-Me.../dp/B000TGF8YI

Mel and Tweaker like this.

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links