Front Rim With Disk
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maxpower

Thread: Front Rim With Disk

Front Rim With Disk

Anyone out there in TW land have a front rim with a disk? I am doing a drum to disk conversation on my two wheel tank! Maybe do a trade? I have lots of parts.

Ronnydog

Ronny, I think that's a great conversion...wish I could help with parts.

I recently installed EBC "HH" pads in my disc-brake bike...great results.
    Very noticeable increase in stopping power over nearly new OE pads, using 2-fingers!

I'm now practicing "threshold breaking" to see where the skid point is. The front tire is nearing the "howl-point" where I am now, I think just a smidge short of starting to slip. We'll see.

Considering "HH" shoes for rears as well...if I really stand on the rear it will howl like crazy but will not break-loose. This is a rear-wheel only test.
    I want to test it a bit more with rear-only, front-only and front & rear braking before I go "HH".

The new tires I have now are much more "grippy" than OE.

This is all on clean pavement, of course with clean disc/pads & drum/shoes!
    Will repeat tests on concrete.

Good luck!
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

I have one with a brake and so forth. it is however in alaska. Ill be travellling to san bernardino in november but Im not sure ill have space to bring a wheel with me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you have space what do you want for it?

Darth, I highly suggest to get OEM shoes over EBC. I bought EBC front shoes for my 87 TW. Horrific would be a compliment. Not only was the lining thinner than wore out Yamaha brakes, but the shoe casting itself was very weak compared to original shoes. I put used OEM shoes in and they were a 150% improvement. I'm shocked that your pads were an improvement over stock. I'm glad they were. I'll never waste a penny on another EBC product.

I saw a picture of huge super moto front disc on a TW. Overkill but looked mean with 17" rims
    87 TW

Max, that EBC failure really surprises me. Matter of fact, it's the first failure or malfunction I've ever heard of.
    I've used EBC HH pads for years on all my bikes, mainly sport & sport-touring, but also my TAT-prepped KLR 650 & super moto as well.
    I worked 5 years for Tucker Rocky Distributing and we sold tons of EBC to dealers...street, trail & competition, both MX & road race. Never heard of any problems and those dealers are not bashful!.

When I ordered the EBC HH disc pads for the front, I started to order HH rear shoes as well. But I suspected I might not need that level of grip on the rear and wanted to test the rear with the new HH fronts before I decided. I want to test the rears a bit more, as I have not been able to lock them up yet on pavement. If I can't get that level of performance , I will order the HH.

All that said, I do ~80% of my riding on pavement and prepped dirt & caliche roads, so my braking requirements are a bit different than most T-Dub jockeys!

I'm really sorry you had such a rotten experience with EBC...I suspect it was an aberration of some sort.
    And I don't blame you one bit for your boycott of EBC, but I'll tell you what:
    If you ever want to try them again, if you don't like them I will pay for the cost & shipping!
    I have no connection with Tucker Rocky or EBC any more, so it would be right out of my wallet.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

I appreciate that you respect my opinion Darth. No opinions of mine in the motorcycle world are that important that I would ever expect that they take money from their own pocket to satisfy my distaste of a motorcycle product. But your comment does show me how strongly you believe what you are saying to me. The next time I have my front wheel off I will take a picture of the OEM brakes next to the EBC brakes that I had poor results with so you can see what I'm speaking about in relation of the EBC shoes casted cheaper than the OEM shoes. I wish I had forum members as neighbors instead of the people that live next to me now. Its nice to deal with people that allow you to have an oposing opinion . And it isn't a boycott. I would be silly to purchase a product a 2nd time that I had a problem with a first time.
    For most items I find that OEM parts are made better than aftermarket parts.

And you made me look up the definition to the word aberration
    Last edited by Maxpower; 11-03-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Darth likes this.
    87 TW

Thanks Max!
    Certainly I respect your opinion...I respect everyone's opinion, especially when they are backed up by experience!
    Until they give me reason not to.
    I kinda remembered what "aberration" means...but I had to look up the spelling!

I will appreciate the photo comparison of the OE shoes alongside the EBC ones.

"A single test (or photo) is worth a thousand expert opinions!"
    - Ed Mabry, Bonneville Racing Legend

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links