Needed: starter relay and crankshaft relay 2001 on
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Needed: starter relay and crankshaft relay 2001 on

Needed: starter relay and crankshaft relay 2001 on

Need some parts and thought to try second hand first on here before forking over the moneys for new.

Bike is an 07 and needs a starter relay also a good condition cam sprocket would be useful 🙂

I bought this one and it works fine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-SOL...72.m2749.l2649

I must note that it works fine in older pre 2000 TWs and also fine in my BW350. I do not know if Yamaha changed the relay after 2001 or not. You might want to go to partzilla and check the part number against your bikes year and pre 2000 ones.

Skip that, I just crossed the part numbers 29U-81950-93 is the relay for old and new TWs so this one from the auction will work. $6.50 Vs $36.00 You do the math.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 12-17-2018 at 07:21 AM.
    Purple likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Maybe one of our electrical guys could chime in here regarding these relays. On the partzilla site for 2000 TWs they show 2 different starter relays yet as far as I know the bike only has one starter relay. First one is #19 and part # 29U-81950-93-00 and costs $36.66. The second one is #39 with part number 1RL-81950-92-00 and it costs $66.57.
    I traced my dead starter button to this relay being bad on my BW350 and I had a used one from the TW, same relay and plugged right in and works fine but it had no numbers. Then I found the one I linked above on Ebay which says it fits both the TW and the BW and a lot of other Yamaha bikes. For $6.50 with free shipping I ordered 2 of them and they too work fine. I have no idea what the big deal is with relays as long as they fit in the on board connectors of our wire harness which these cheap one do and they work fine. Why pay $36 or $66 plus shipping if you can get the starter working for $6.50 delivered?
    So I took the bad one that was not working and cut it open. All there is inside these relays are a copper wound coil and a few contacts. When the power hits the coil it magnetically activates the contacts sending juice to the starter motor. I see no reason why they should cost $36 or $66 when the same device at $6.50 does the same thing. I have the service manual for my BW350 from Fattireconversions.com and in it they show how to test these relays. It is simple electrics, either the relay activates or it doesn't.

GaryL
    SportsterDoc likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gary did you have intermittent i.e sometimes working sometimes not start button? Or did it just fail? I am unsure if my start button is just going faulty as my bike went from not starting for two days to firing every time with a little fiddling on the button

Quote Originally Posted by Soulprogression108 View Post
    Gary did you have intermittent i.e sometimes working sometimes not start button? Or did it just fail? I am unsure if my start button is just going faulty as my bike went from not starting for two days to firing every time with a little fiddling on the button
    My button sent absolutely no juice to the starter solenoid. I did disassemble the bar switch and was able to clean the contacts and determine it was working but still no juice to the starter. On the fat tire conversion web site I found the service manual for the BW350 I own and in it they showed how to test the starter relay which proved mine was dead. Go here and test your relay as they describe. https://fattireconversions.com/bw350...tml#electrical
    As far as I can tell all these relays are pretty much the same as long as they fit into our socket in the wire harness.

I did have a similar issue asa you have on one of the TWs I rebuilt. Push the button and it would start right up and then a few minutes later the button did nothing. I followed the same procedure in checking the entire circuit and finally found a bad ground wire bullet connector behind the headlight in one of the rubber boots they stuff the rats nest of connectors into. After cleaning the corrosion off the connectors, all of them, no more starting issues.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 12-19-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Sponosred Links