Looking for a Gas Tank
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for a Gas Tank

Looking for a Gas Tank

Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am in search of a replacement gas tank for my bike.
    I see the Clarke plastic tank is an option. I wanted to see if anyone was trying to offload a factory metal one first.

Thanks.

be sure to save your old tank even if its dented its worth good money
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

I appreciate the advice. Dents aren't the problem, she leaks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Bumping the thread. I am willing to consider factory or Clarke tanks. If metal, it will obviously need to be free of leaks and/or excessive rust.

try ebay for tanks, and craigslist. xt225 tanks are a near direct swap and xt350 aren't that much more work.

i found two OEM pristine xt225 tanks for less than $100 shipped, and one local for 1/3 that on craigslist.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I appreciate the tips. I will look into these.

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    As a general rule, never miss an opportunity to make your bike better with an aftermarket part. This will always give you a two for one deal. You get to take the bike apart and fabricate or modify it. If you have not crashed on your TW you are not riding it enough or as intended. Metal tanks do not do crashes well. Dented tanks on a TW are a sure way to get disqualified at Pebble Beach or at least a big point deduct. Get a Clarke Racing tank. Preferably opaque which to me is a third benefit...a gas gauge and another reason why riding a TW makes you that closer to being Superman as you can look through your tank and know how much gas is left...not that it will matter...ride like a man and when the bike stalls reach for the reserve on the petcock while rolling. The tank loves crashes and doubles your riding range as you are going from 1.7 gallons to 4.2 gallons. Lastly, but just as significant, they are made in the U.S.A. I have one on my bike. Clarke Racing tanks are the best tanks in the world. Nobody should buy any other tank than a Clarke Racing tank. Everyone should put a Clarke Racing tank their TW 200.

Yes, you have to put your purse down and fabricate the right side plastic. There must be million ideas out there. I made straps and used snaps and an interior push fastener. Some guys use wire ties...

Just order the tank or get a good deal on a used one. Run the vent tube as visibly and obnoxiously as you can to show everyone that you did this inherently needed modification with American parts for riding on American roads. so as to shame all the girly men who have not done this yet. Better yet, if you see a TW riding down the road with a foreign made part on it when it can be replaced with a better part made in the U.S.A., error on the side of caution and call Homeland Security.

Really lastly, since your tank leaks beat on it with a hammer and drip a little red paint on it so it drips and dries running down the side. Keep it displayed in your garage as a trophy. Tell everyone how you were jumping a school bus while smoking a cigarette and flashing a peace sign while "I'm the Man" by the killers was playing in the background and you took a bad landing, but shook it off and outran the cops on the way home.

I hope this helps you decide.

Thanks Michael Bryce Winnick,
    I will keep this in mind. I find your post useful AND entertaining.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    I have a pristine stock tank in my shed..... but I am a long ways from Georgia.....
    Converte gladium tuum in locum suum. Omnes enim, qui acceperint gladium, gladio peribunt. - JC

Quote Originally Posted by troll View Post
    I have a pristine stock tank in my shed..... but I am a long ways from Georgia.....
    I understand. I may be have found one a good bit closer to purchase.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links