WTB saddle bag racks
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyHiker
  • 1 Post By long distance rider
  • 1 Post By peruano

Thread: WTB saddle bag racks

WTB saddle bag racks

I'm doing some "redecorating" and need to move my Wolfman Expedition bags from my DR650 to the TW. I just picked up some Pelican 1520's from TW Brian which will go on the DR and figure the soft bags are well suited for the TW. I am a big fan of Happy Trails racks, have them on both the DR650 and DL1000. I would like to find some for the TW as well but I'm choking on what Happy Trails is getting for them these days....

My research has not found many options for stand alone racks, but if you have some to sell or know of something that will work, let me know.....

Thanks, Mike

You should contact Tinman Tim on here. I bet he can make you something that would work.

I like HT's stuff too on my KLR, but boy are they proud of it. I got mine off Craigslist for cheap

Another +1 for Tin Man Tim. Great racks, but you do need a cyclerack to mount them (which is a great add on by itself). http://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail/...3/Default.aspx Tinmans racks are easily removable when not in use unlike the HT racks which are pretty much on there all the time.

Or Moose Expedition Rack: Moose Racing Expedition Luggage Rack System TW200 87-10 - RevZilla
    TCI makes a couple too: https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_167_173

Some have made their own, there's not a lot of pannier systems that I have seen available commercially.

Here's my Cyclerack/Tinman/Wolfman combo:

tinman tim likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I might have to spring for Tim's racks, of course that means I have to buy another rear rack......no budget way to do this unless I make my own......at my advanced state of decay I would rather ride than wrench and fabricate.....oh we'll.....
    Old man likes this.

If your bags are such that you can use a yoke between them to support the weight of the bags on the rear of the seat and or rear platform, you don't need a rack that will support the bagss, only one that will keep them away from muffler, chain, spokes, etc. I cobbled up such a rack for use with my Tourmaster saddlebags with main attachment points at the rear pax foot peg, and the rearmost part of the "real" frame (not the frame extension bar). I built it out of 1/2"? square bar, using nothing more than a hand hacksaw to make my bends possible, and a quickie weld to strengthen the system. I've posted the photo before but folks seem to consider anything older than 6 weeks ancient history and inaccessible. Let see if the photo will insert today.

Here is the saddlebag setup in place.

that last photo is so bad I had to include a newer one.
    And yes I do place the seat pad on top of the yoke to protect the bindings, and consmetically upgrade the system = this must have been the first install - note old xt tank.
    I remind us all that the pax footpegs are not symmetrical on the TW so you must build for each side independently. Cheers, Tom
    Last edited by peruano; 01-03-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Minicogs likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

You are absolutely right, I don't need support so much as I need to keep the bags off the chain and muffler......and picking up support off the frame as opposed to the subframe is the way to go. It so happens that I have a couple hundred feet of 1/2 inch square tubing stored in the garage.....a modification of your design ( sorry, but I have a latent engineering gene I can't always control) by dropping the lower brace a few inches and your supports would also work on a set of Nelson Riggs 850's I've got......

Thanks for posting your pictures.....I would still rather ride than wrench but I'm thinking I don't have many options without hocking the farm for Happy Trails.

Mike

I hope the idea works for you. I've had some pretty heavy weights in my saddlebags (I collect petrified wood, agates, and thundereggs for lapidary and as long as I 1. balance the bags, and 2. don't hit any major chuckholes, the bags have held their position, and never contacted things not intended to be contacted. I did scrounge the plastic plugs to close the open ends and reduce moisture, dust, and vermin. I'd love to see how someone designs such a rack who has better workshop talents and patience than I do. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Sponosred Links