Does anyone have a Titled frame they can sell???
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rbm
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Does anyone have a Titled frame they can sell???

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)

Does anyone have a Titled frame they can sell???

If anyone has a titled frame they can sell shipped to 31410 I would be most appreciative. While it may be fare what the insurance is willing to pay for my beloved TW will make it very difficult to find a reliable replacement and honestly I'd rather swap over all the parts to a new frame and put on new forks and rebuild her than let her go. She's been way too good to let her go to the scrap yard and I don't want to be back stuck waiting and hunting for a TDub I can afford and get to.

I have till Monday AM to let them know if I'm buying it back so please let me know if you can help. Unfortunately money is way to tight to keep her just for parts since I haven't been able to work since the wreck. Thanks.

PS if enough of you need parts (minus the front forks and with a salvage titled frame) that I can at least break even buying it back I will. I'd rather help out out members get their TDubs running.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

rbm
    Hey maddawgj, send Heli-Mech a PM, he's looking for a complete engine, maybe you guys could make a deal that would be worth while for both of you. I know he's a new member here but I know him from another forum, he's a stand-up guy.
    Dubzha and Heli-Mech like this.

Interesting things to discuss her MD. I think we would need to know a few things to help you decide what to do. Frames are available but I have no idea of the cost.

How much do you have to pay the insurance company to buy the wreck? It could be over the top value of the salvageable parts.

What parts are salvageable and what real condition are they in? Tank, seat, plastics, engine, rear swing arm and wheel. Lots of good parts there if they are good. I would have some interest in the tank and I need the swing arm chain guide and some other minor parts.

Now for another discussion. I know with my boats that I insure I had an option regarding the replacement value. My agent said I can assign my own value based on the equipment and hull plus the trailer. If I allow the insurance company to decide the value all they go by is the year of the boat, motor and trailer and then start depreciating it from there. I would get next to nothing if the boat sunk or was stolen. Option 2 was to assign my own value and pay the additional cost. This must be an honest assessment of the value of all parts and equipment but instead of getting $1,500 in a total loss I would get $5,000 and be able to start setting up another boat. I think we can do this on our bikes. Check with your agent. Just don't try insuring a ratty bike for stupid money and expecting to get rich scamming the company. They will want pictures and some degree of proof that your bike is worth the number you assigned. As a simple example, a 1991 with 15,000 real hard miles and beat to death would be valued at one price while a 1991 like my bike with 800 miles and all the nice upgrades and optional add on stuff in near show room condition is worth a lot more. Insurance is a product you buy and pay for so you do have the right to insure for true value.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 01-25-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    Dubzha likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Interesting things to discuss her MD. I think we would need to know a few things to help you decide what to do. Frames are available but I have no idea of the cost.

How much do you have to pay the insurance company to buy the wreck? It could be over the top value of the salvageable parts.

What parts are salvageable and what real condition are they in? Tank, seat, plastics, engine, rear swing arm and wheel. Lots of good parts there if they are good. I would have some interest in the tank and I need the swing arm chain guide and some other minor parts.

Now for another discussion. I know with my boats that I insure I had an option regarding the replacement value. My agent said I can assign my own value based on the equipment and hull plus the trailer. If I allow the insurance company to decide the value all they go by is the year of the boat, motor and trailer and then start depreciating it from there. I would get next to nothing if the boat sunk or was stolen. Option 2 was to assign my own value and pay the additional cost. This must be an honest assessment of the value of all parts and equipment but instead of getting $1,500 in a total loss I would get $5,000 and be able to start setting up another boat. I think we can do this on our bikes. Check with your agent. Just don't try insuring a ratty bike for stupid money and expecting to get rich scamming the company. They will want pictures and some degree of proof that your bike is worth the number you assigned. As a simple example, a 1991 with 15,000 real hard miles and beat to death would be valued at one price while a 1991 like my bike with 800 miles and all the nice upgrades and optional add on stuff in near show room condition is worth a lot more. Insurance is a product you buy and pay for so you do have the right to insure for true value.

GaryL
    +1 My insurance guy has me list what I've added for the same reason.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubzha View Post
    +1 My insurance guy has me list what I've added for the same reason.
    Over and above accessories you have added on, all TWs are not equal. The point I am making is if you have a particularly nice one with low miles and in great condition then it should not be lumped in with the general year Vs model and value system the insurance company assigns. I am pretty sure an insurance company would look up the value of a 1987 TW and probably give you around $500 for a total loss or theft. We all know however if you have a real nice 1987 or what ever year with very low miles and in gorgeous condition you are likely to ask $1500 or more and get it. You can insure your machine for what you assess the true value to be and just pay the extra premium. If you paid for the bike to be insured for $1500 and have pictures showing it was well worth that then you get the $1500 if it is stolen. Otherwise, the insurance company will just say the average 1987 TW is worth around $500 and cut you a check.

You will be surprised to see just how inexpensive it is to increase your insured value to a real world value and happy you did it when you find yourself in a position such as Maddawg is now. He can't possibly replace his TW with one in as nice condition for the chump change the insurance company is giving him. Had he increased the loss value before the accident he would be in a much better financial position right now. There could be an easy $1,000 or more difference between a hammered TW and one the same model year in great shape. The insurance company will go by the general price unless you speak up and pay a little more.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Hey maddawgj, send Heli-Mech a PM, he's looking for a complete engine, maybe you guys could make a deal that would be worth while for both of you. I know he's a new member here but I know him from another forum, he's a stand-up guy.
    PM sent.

Thanks,
    RBM

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Sorry I broke rule #1: Pics!
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

are you sure it needs a frame?

I used to have a Seattle guy press the tubes back to straight (worked 80% of the time) and a Tacoma guy has a frame rack if the frame needs tweaking but the hit doesn't look that bad from where I'm sitting
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Owch that hurts. I did that to a Suzuki GS450 I replaced the triple tree, fender and forks and I was on the road again.

Bikeboneyard.com has an 87 frame for $50.00 I don't know about a title. Worst case is you could go the Vermont title route seen on another part of this forum.

Here's the link to the bike BikeBoneYard.com - Recycled and Salvaged Motorbike Parts for Sale

They are in Florence, Montana 59833
    Last edited by rm_hm; 01-26-2014 at 04:20 PM.

the insurance company will always low ball you first so make sure you do your own comps especially if this was a low mileage TW. Kelly and NADA blue book values are ridiculously low so you have to use real world comps. Don't be in a hurry to settle remember the insurance company reviews all open claims at the end of every month and they don't like mud in their folders (mud= open claims)
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links