Nice Alaska adventure
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Nice Alaska adventure

Nice Alaska adventure

Nice Alaska adventure.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    I probably met those folks. I did a 3600km trip on my Yamaha FJ-09 following a similar route but in the opposite direction. Attended the D2D and then rode into Alaska from there.

Dust to Dawson and beyond.. troll goes adventuring in Alaska | FJ-09 Forums

Seeing this one has me thinking of trading in the Goldwing for an adventure bike. The Matanuska calls as I have a place downstream from the glacier.
    littletommy, troll, ZDR1 and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

484 miles east from the geographical center of the United States
    Very nice video. Looks like a great ride.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    "Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

Life Member VFW / Life Member NRA / WWG1-WGA

Interesting. My friend was just there in White Horse. That Video confirmed his findings. It was pretty crowded
    on the regular routes and he'd been happier on his RT over his GS due to zero challenging terrain and lots of
    weather where the extra wind protection would have been welcome.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Tonto
    on the "Left Coast"
    2015 BMW F700GS
    2005 Yamaha V Star 1100
    2018 Suzuki Van Van
    More Wagging and less Barking
    Make Love not War

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    Interesting. My friend was just there in White Horse. That Video confirmed his findings. It was pretty crowded
    on the regular routes and he'd been happier on his RT over his GS due to zero challenging terrain and lots of
    weather where the extra wind protection would have been welcome.
    There are certainly challenging areas to ride in the north. With that said, most bikes with good traction rubber will do all the usual stuff that tourists get into. We see hundreds if not thousands of ADV style bikes come up the Alaska Highway annually, most are headed to the Haul Road and Prudhoe Bay and the worst that they will encounter is soft gravel or surface mud (a bit like grease actually) due to the calcium chloride that is used to hold water in the road surface (keep the dust down).

Big ADV bikes are a "life style" not unlike Harleys. I've owned both... just never got the tattoos.

No tattoos, no patches, why cause controversy. Dislike being labeled. I did put a leg over an adv bike. Did not like it at all. Bars too far forward, seat too high, center of gravity in the clouds. A fellow and his daughter stopped by for an overnighter. His Buell was belt drive???? No way would I take a chance with a belt in AK or any other distant place from civilization. See a lot of them on the road and I am sure the folks riding them like I do the TW.
    ZDR1, jtomelliott49, troll and 1 others like this.

going to check out the V 1000 in here. As long as there is no radio, no intercom I am up for that lol. Peace on the road lady, please be quiet lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Randall, what is nice is that they do not make the V-Strom 1000 every year...sometimes they skip a year. There is NO 2016 V-Strom 1000, so they have left over 2015 models, with discounted prices.
    South Sound Honda/Suzuki...and now Polaris, in the Olympia Auto Mall, has one or two on the showroom floor. And they would take the Wing in on trade, and will even take the Kawi in on trade, so it might be a straight deal for both bikes...in exchange for the new V-Strom 1000.

If it were me.....I would get the standard model of V-Strom 1000.....NOT the Adventure model. The reasoning is.....the Adventure model has added saddlebags and a couple other things, that are NOT that great for serious off-road adventure riding. The Adventure model is priced $ 1,300.00 more than the standard model, and I think you can buy much better saddlebags and other gear, than what Suzuki provides on the Adventure model. It may cost "more" than the $ 1,300.00 you are saving, but you will end up with far superior saddlebags.
    Going up that way today, will stop in and check it out. Letting that Goldwing go will be tough. It is such a nice bike for the road.

Trade ya a sportster for the wing....
    jeffrolives likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links